Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where It All Began?

Where It All Began?

Many people believe that a great deal of the martial traditions we have today originated in India. Yet we know very little about the Indian martial arts that may indeed be the mother of what we are learning now. I dont know how much of that is true, but here is a link to some sites dealing with the martial arts of India.

http://winstonstableford.com/Indian.html

I trace my kung fu back to Adam ... beat that!

On a serious note a lot of research I've done suggested the India connection as well but that sort of thing never really concerns me. I laugh at these "My style is 1,000 years old" comments. To me, that's an antique.

Liluth was the true creator of all Kung Fu. She was banished from the gardern for kicking Adam's @ss.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

There have been ancient vases found in Greece...Has many people boxing and doing the same move..kinda like a form
    Go Surf!
    Train hard and work hard to gain mastery.
    Do not train and you gain nothing.
    Spread good karma!!! Because if you dont, you get hit by bad karma!!!
    Then you will step in dog crap!!!=)
    Karate's better!!!

Yeah, who knows where it all started. But its interesting to see some Indian martial arts like Kalarippayat since they arent seen to often.

Thumbs up

Come to think of it,what evidence do we have/why is it though that martial arts originated in India?
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

buddhists?

Thumbs up

Iīm no MA historian but you would expect that the oldest records of MA as we recognize it,would be known from India (are they?)
    I guess it makes intuitive sense otherwise,not sure.
    Anyone have data?
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Spears and swords were used in the battle in Heaven, between Satan and Michael.

When the rogue angels were banished from Heaven, they taught the fighting arts to men.

That's where my lineage comes from
    "I'm into murders and executions, mostly"

my grand master was one of the surviving angels

If I had to guess based on human migration, I would guess Africa more likely, would have the oldest martial arts. Who knows
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Originally posted by Starchaser107
    my grand master was one of the surviving angels
    Well, my grandmaster is God.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Here is a fantastic site, where you can read about how the bagua and I-ching actually has roots in Ancient Egypt. Lot's of other good stuff for the hardcore researcher.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Ancient paintings on Egyptian walls depict wrestling and systematised fighting and they predate Indian and most other permanent records.

Mind you, my art originates from the system the triggered the big bang - the biggest ever b!tch slap in the history of anything. Certainly predates all your creationist crap.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Buddhism is the obvious exchange that lent itself to Chinese martial arts.

However, there were fully developed martial arts, systems and styles in China BEFORE buddhism arrived.

Kalaripayit is indeed a likely candidate for the oldest codified martial art still in practice on the planet in a continuation that dates back a very very long time (talking millenia).

But, the 'buddhist' martial arts of China, such as Shaolin are not altogether like Kalari and there is heavy Taoist thought and influence in the Shaolin.

Further, there is no documented connection between Kalaripayit and Buddhist Martial arts in India, let alone China. Kalari is decidedly Hindu in it's origin as far as it's esoteric and cosmological aspects are concerned.

Hinduism however is to buddhism waht Judeaism is to Christianity.

In truth, Martial arts are driven by principle. Principles are 'known' truths and when learned and applied produce predictable results.
    The esotericism and cosmology is in this sense only an indicator or a tool to entrench and instill the ideas that are the principles into the practitioners being.

What does it matter anyway? The whole point of flexibility and modernity is to advance and progress on what has been built, not to dwell on what used to be.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.