Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humility!

Lightbulb Humility!

Seen a discussion about this topic over on Cyberkwoon and it turned out very good and interesting.

What are your ideas on humility?

So lets get cracking.
    Witty signature under construction.

I think humility is good, thats why Im so humble.

Im humbler then anyone else, IMO.

strike!

Humility is nice, but not necessary. Respect, on the other hand, is absolutely necessary-- especially when sparring or free-fighting. No respect equals injuries and bad training. In fact, I have a hunch that emphasis on humility over respect seems to cause more problems for both the students and the teachers than any realize.

And while I'm ranting , this faux-humility that seems to pervade a good many kwoons and dojos is absolutely the most irritating thing, IMO. I can deal with braggadocios, but for god's sake, don't brag about how humble you are. That just gets my goat.
    "Oh LORD, please spare our eyes"- Traditional Prayer before an English Singlestick Match

I disagree. I think humility is at least as important as respect. But as you point out, false humilty is a pain in the arse. True humility is important.

I am not talking about self-deprecating behaviour, simply being honest enough with yourself to acknowledge your strengths and weaknesses, and that the strengths and weaknesses of others do not necessarily make them any worse than you, just different.

For example, I have a friend who I train with and he is immensely powerful. However, I have had more time to refine my technique than he has as I have trained in this art for longer. So who is better? In this case, humility would dictate that we accept that neither is better, we simply have different strengths.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

theres a time and a place for everything imo
    sometimes you should be humble
    other times situation might necessitate for you to become an @sshole

some people only understand one "language" so you have to speak to them in a way that they can hear.

OK that is true in the world at large I guess. In the confines of a MA school though, I believe that respect and humility are equally important.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.

No, no, no, joedoe. Just face it. He's better than you.

You and your false humility! Hah!

See, I used to be quite conceited, but I'm actually perfect now, so it's easy for me to be humble. When you're perfect humility comes naturally.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

lol.

You are right, he is simply better than me. I must just accept that I am nothing but a lowly worm.

How is that for false humility?

Almost perfect.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Maybe humility (--> thus turning humble) is a bad thing? If you look at great boxers most are not that humble right?

I dunno, just trying to find the oposite side of this topic.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

I think humility has nothing to do with fighting ability, though I suppose if you're too ****y you might not train to your full ability.

too much of either is no good, in or out of the kwoon (imo).
    humility does not equate to respect.
    humility is when one lowers thier own importance or if it is lowered for them.
    respect is admiration given to a person that has good qualities.
    people say "respect in the kwoon" when the more appropriate word might be reverence or civility.
    it is possible respect someone who is inferior to you.
    if one is humble in a fight it could be dangerous.
    if one is mindful that he/she could be humbled if they arent on thier guard , that's a different story.
    if one is too arrogant they might never learn anything because they are too confident in thier ways and enamoured by themselves.

Humility=honest self assesment.
    It doesn't mean thinking poorly about yourself.
    I am a human being who has strengths and weaknesses.
    that is a statement of humility.
    Humility in the martial arts
    I have made good progress however there are still those who are better so I must continue training hard.
    Humility helps us to remain teachable and openminded.
    Humilityis not equal to humiliation.
    Bless you

Cool starchaser being arrogant

no.
    honest self assessment is something quite different.

i defined humility as it is presented in the dictionary.

these are examples of how humility is used

"john, who is now quite affluent , came from a humble background"

"peter, was humbled when jack gave him a punishing blow to the head"

I did not say think poorly of ones self btw. I said if one lowers thier own importance. you can do that without degrading yourself.

do not confuse humilty with modesty.

Maybe a differing view

Humility/being humbled for me is an occurence, but not in the sense of 'not being good enough' or anything... it's like this: say I do something well, and my sifu says, "hey you're really getting that, really coming along."

Now, for me, thats both a source of pride but also humbling, because here's this expert telling me that I'm doing good now, on the road to doing great. Thats a responsibility and a healthy source for being humble. I mean, there's a gift there. I don't know if that makes sense to most...

Respect OTOH, is often forced/faux, whatever... mostly because kwoons have an imported notion of it. What passes for respect in the USA or West isn't such in CMAs [esp. in the realm of criticism- in the West, criticism is sometimes respect, meaning that we only take seriously and look closely at what we do respect], but never in the kwoon, nope.

So we wind up with not being able to talk constructively at times, being super-sensitive to critiques...charges of arrogance come about blah blah.

Feh, just rambling...
    -Thos. Zinn

"Children, never fuss or fret
    Nor let unreason'd tempers rise
    Your little hands were never meant
    To pluck out one anothers eyes"
    -McGuffey's Reader

“We are at a crossroads. One path leads to despair and the other to total extinction. I pray I have the wisdom to choose wisely.”

ستّة أيّام يا كلب