Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Humility!

Red face My arrogance continued

tony m. : "This is the one I hate. The ability to be teachable by anyone. "

specifically me, now humble thyself , shut up and learn

but seriously folks , here's an example of how "honest self assessment works :
    http://www.joanlloyd.com/articles/open.asp?art=870.htm

and here is an example of humility

"Humility:
    The word humility signifies lowliness or submissiveness an it is derived from the Latin humilitas or, as St. Thomas says, from humus, i.e. the earth which is beneath us. As applied to persons and things it means that which is abject, ignoble, or of poor condition, as we ordinarily say, not worth much. Thus we say that a man is of humble birth or that a house is a humble dwelling. As restricted to persons, humility is understood also in the sense of afflictions or miseries, which may be inflicted by external agents, as when a man humiliates another by causing him pain or suffering. It is in this sense that others may bring about humiliations and subject us to them. Humility in a higher and ethical sense is that by which a man has a modest estimate of his own worth, and submits himself to others. According to this meaning no man can humiliate another, but only himself, and this he can do properly only when aided by Divine grace. We are treating here of humility in this sense, that is, of the virtue of humility."-
    an excerpt from http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07543b.htm

I think linguistics has alot to do with this debate.
    what a word means in your head might not always be the same as what it actually means.

lol.

been trying to forget it for a significantly less time abt. 10 years of my 26.
    still it seemed applicable to the discussion.

i don't practice humility as much as i should these days. impatience seems to be my vice, but i certainly respect it in others.

Humiliation is the most important factor in learning martial arts. That's why I always do my forms in public places while wearing fishnet pantyhose stuffed with raw banana pulp.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

that was you...

"That's why I always do my forms in public places while wearing fishnet pantyhose stuffed with raw banana pulp."

You could have just said you do forms in public... We already know your preffered attire.

The best part is it's so hellaciously intimidating in the ring.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

unless the other guy really likes you, i suppose

CSN just wants an excuse for why his drawers are always sagging in the back.

bobo has a humble attitude
    Bless you

Getting slapped around is quite humbling.

IMO I Feel.....

I feel as a human being humility is a must. But as a student in CMA and a Sifu I also feel that respect must be practiced! But getting Respect can only be earned!

~Jason
    館術國勇威 Wei Yong Martial Arts Association
    戰挑的權霸統傳 The Challenge for Traditional Supremacy
    http://www.weiyongkungfu.com

i feel like if i don't have some kind of inward humility all the time, i'm not being honest with myself about myself. i do think it is necessary to have some humility in yourself to be able to excell. i've developed more humility through my MA training. but, there is definately a time to be outwardly humble and a time not to be. i never brag about my abilities.