21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Top of the foot

12 57.14%
  • Ball of the foot

9 42.86%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you kick?

How do you kick?

No you dont have to tell me I know already.....

I want to know if in a roundhouse you kick with the top of your foot, or the ball of your foot...i have seen both used, but I want to know how many of you kick with the top or ball of the foot when doing a roundhouse.
    Go Surf!
    Train hard and work hard to gain mastery.
    Do not train and you gain nothing.
    Spread good karma!!! Because if you dont, you get hit by bad karma!!!
    Then you will step in dog crap!!!=)
    Karate's better!!!

How in the h377 does someone throw a roundhouse and connect with the ball of the foot?

Poorly.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

both

Lower part of the shin. You must condition the shin on a heavy bag. If you thought stance training was fun, you'll love this.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

i have seen some karate or tkd guys do a roundhouse with the ball. it could be very devastating, if it hits

yes, in tkd i was told that the ball of the foot was the more traditional way to do a roundhouse. but that the instep had been adopted sparring since it was easier to land and made for a fast kick. anyway, i'd buy a beer for any guy who could pull of a roudhouse with the ball of his foot without breaking a toe. it is really quite difficult. if you thought the front "snap-kick" was prone to toe breaking, the ball-of-toe roundhouse is your worst nightmare.

A ball-of-the-foot roundhouse is for easier hitting the groin, and for hitting the stomach-pit. Not a power-kick though.
    toe-kick only when shoes on (but when do u not have that? )

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    these are two different weapons and will be used for different targets.

top of foot is faster, I think the act of pulling the top of the foot back slows the leg down a lot.

top of the foot is good for knee, peronial/t-band, sweeps, neck.

ball of foot is good for kidney, jaw, ribs, solar plexus, groin and hooking type sweeps or leg pics.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

we roundhouse kick using the shin area of leg i.e. MT

hehe..

with the foot usually- into the balls sometimes..
    7*tanglang Germany with regards...

Originally posted by yu shan
    we roundhouse kick using the shin area of leg i.e. MT
    If you use the top of your foot, then the shin area remains a viable striking point also. Depends on the distance.

I usually kick with the top of my foot because I usually train in shoes and if I do spar barefoot I want to play a bit nicer than kicking with the ball (which I was taught was more powerful but slower; the same as Oso). I've broken boards with a roundhouse kick and I wouldn't think of kicking a board any other way but with the ball of the foot. The top is pretty sensitive and vulnerable to an elbow also.
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 09-05-2003 at 07:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Judge Pen

Do you guys ever knock around with the Wah Lum school there in Knoxville?

Originally posted by yu shan
    Judge Pen

Do you guys ever knock around with the Wah Lum school there in Knoxville?
    I've met a couple of them and seen them do a demo/Lion Dance before, but I haven't sparred them. They came to Master Mullins' tournament a couple of years ago, but I didn't fight that year. I'm hoping that they will come this year and I can spar one of them. One guy there looks to be a real good fighter, but when I sopke to him at their demo, he seemed a bit arrogant, but hey, he looked like he could back his stuff up. There teacher also had amazing form.

You are in Nashville? I get down that way every so often. Where do you train?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

JP, that's Sifu Leroy Kautz in Knoxville, has a reputation in WL as a great fighter. (Very nice guy as well)

I met a couple of his students who came to the temple to train. Good form, good fighting skills. Sifu Leroy's workouts are said to be really tough, so I wasn't surprised.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah