Thread: San Shou Debut

Ben Gash Guest

San Shou Debut

KO'd in the second. Still, didn't hurt as much as I thought it would, and it was a useful learning experience.

"Weapons are the embodiments of fear,
    the wise use them only when they have no choice"
    Lao Tzu

jjj Guest
    Good job Ben, you got balls for getting in there. Better luck next time.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
    When they wake up in the morning,
    that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
    --Frank Sinatra

ShaolinTiger00 Guest

Ben

Congrats anyways Ben. I've been in Sanshou now for over 6 years and I understand fully the experience you went through. It's a bit humbling but will remain a constant reminder in your training as to your weaknesses and strengths.

Best of Luck in your next fight!

A strong man controls others. A man who controls himself is truly powerful. -Lao Tzu

rogue Guest
    What dropped you Ben? Please say it wasn't Legend and his Jerk Bo!

Ben Gash Guest
    Alright, that was a bit sparse wasn't it :D
    I started positively and after defending against an initial rush of punches I attacked with a big shin kick to the thigh which clearly hurt him and them piled in with the punches, and tied him up in a grapple when he countered. this was pretty much the story for the first half of the first round. I sadly then got cocky. I realised that my body kicks were going largely unchecked, and then got a bit creative and ended up stepping out of the area. I then disasterously slipped as I tried to changed from attack to defense as he aggressively counterattacked. However, I got right back into it with some strong grappling and forced him out of the area twice. Then right at the end of the round he caught me and knocked me down. I stayed down for five (for a breather) and then got up to finish the round.
    In the second round his experience started to show, and what had worked for me in the first round simply wasn't as effective. I shot and failed to get a single leg throw, stood and punched him in the face, and he countered with a big right hook. I remember thinking "Stay up! Stay up!" and then "I can't stand up anymore". I hit the mat, and then the next thing I remember is liu, qi, ba.... By the time I realized I was on 8 it was too late to try to get up, and I honestly couldn't anyway. My headache's largely worn off now, but my neck is killing me!

Lao Tzu

Ben Gash Guest
    Thanks guys. It's OK Rogue, he was a Fukien crane guy. (as if I'd lose to Legend :D )

Lao Tzu

rogue Guest
    Oh not a Mother Fukien Crane guy? Their some tough mother fukies.

rogue Guest

Personally I find nothing wrong with kickboxing.

Ben, bottom line it for us. How much was kickboxing and how much looked like the style the fighters actually study? Could you tell that the guy did Fukien Crane? Or if somebody used Wing Chun?

Brett Again Guest
    It still blows my mind that you're from Swindon.

Oh to be running the King's Hill backs, now that spring is here! :D

"This is harder than it looks... and it looks impossible!"
    -Chuckie Finster