Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good grappler vs good striker??

Hybrid View

Martial Joe Guest

Good grappler vs good striker??

What do you guys think about a striker of lenox lewis potential would go against a grappler of royce gracies potential?

IXIJoe KaveyIXI

old jong Guest
    A striker like Lennox Lewis can knock anybody out with a single punch.The grappler would have to dive for the security of the ground at the very first second of the match!...And pray that "lennox" as not learned on the side how to punch on the ground! :D ...He must be very strong! :eek:

JerryLove Guest
    "A striker like Lennox Lewis can knock anybody out with a single punch."

He must either be an unpopular boxer (since all his matches end in seconds) or incapable of hitting someone successfully.

Unless that "single punch" is the 50th one.

"The grappler would have to dive for the security of the ground at the very first second of the match!..."

Or remain upright and grappling. But Gracie isn't a "grapple". He is a fighter with a heavy emphasis on grappling. To get a "grapper" you would have to look at a sport that does not allow striking (like wrestling).

"And pray that "lennox" as not learned on the side how to punch on the ground! ...He must be very strong!"

Must have missed where that required special training.

Martial Joe Guest
    OUch Jerry just killed your post :eek:

Well who would you guys bet on if were between those actual people?

IXIJoe KaveyIXI

old jong Guest
    A post is never dead for those who can read! ;) :D

Anarcho Guest
    He said "can". To me, that implies that for any given person, it's possible that Lennox Lewis could knock them out with one punch. I'd be interested to see the freak who could take a punch from Lewis with *no* chance of being knocked out.

Martial Joe Guest
    Zeesh I have seen holyfield take numorous punches from him...

IXIJoe KaveyIXI

Anarcho Guest
    Yeah, Joe, but to deny Old Jong's post you have to say that it was *impossible* that any of those punches would knock him out. Old Jong never said that whenever Lewis punches someone he knocks them out. I still don't believe there's anyone whose head is constructed such that they *could not* be knocked out by a punch from Lewis.

Braden Guest
    Guys... my MOM _could_ knock anybody out in one punch.

Anarcho Guest
    Given we accept the possibility, we can then argue the probability. All I'm saying is it's silly to deny the possibility.

joedoe Guest
    Anyone can throw a punch that could potentially knock someone out. Lucky punches happen all the time in amateur fights.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    What we do in life echoes in Eternity

JerryLove Guest
    Of course, since anyone *can* knock out anyone else with one punch (maybe even the first one), that does negate "The grappler would have to dive for the security of the ground at the very first second of the match". Since said grappler can knock out anyone with one punch.

Martial Joe Guest
    Back to the subject...

If a man that had grappling skills equally as good as the other man was at his strinking skill...how would the fight end up...

it is a ****ty question because there is not detail but you could have an answer for it.

You couldnt say either would win but more as in who it would be more dificult for...

IXIJoe KaveyIXI

JerryLove Guest
    I'm going to side with the grappler. Since a pure striker cannot avoid a takedown, he has a second or two to win the fight, then the grappler has all the time in the world. All the grappler has to do is survive the second or two.

Of course, in MA, there should not be such a thing as a pure striker or grappler.

honorisc Guest
    As to your more recen question Martial Joe, it would be a draw because they would stay out of each other's reang or avoid the other's techniques. The winner would from whoever made tactical errors or failed successful execution of technique(s).

One might wonder if that is a concensus that, "...a pure striker cannot avoid a takedown..?"

Also, I find that to be unreasonable to think that a tackle take-down is going to work thoroughly well on me, if I was just to strike.

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.