Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: who said its cheating?

"there used to be a time, when you could get into a fight, and not have to worry that the other person would pull a weapon, or that half a dozen of his friends would jump in."

That should read
    "there used to be a time, when you could get into a fight, and not have to worry about going to jail for beating the **** out of someone, as fights were common practice."

Ryu hit the nail on the head. But I think there is a difference between boys will be boys fighting, and really having to pick it up a notch.

I'll put it this way: I'll fight fair in a "let's take it outside" ordeal until I start to feel threatened, endandered. At that point, it's no longer a fight, it's about survival, in that I can't trust the other guy to just stop when I say "mom".

But I consider breaking a collor bone, a rib or an arm FAIR. As long as I don't kick you in the balls or poke your eye it's all good in the neighborhood.

Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
    That should read
    "there used to be a time, when you could get into a fight, and not have to worry about going to jail for beating the **** out of someone, as fights were common practice."
    And when was that??

AFAIK, throughout the ages fights in public were not condoned by the authorities.

Giving a healthy smack or two for doing something stupid, OTOH, was and should still be.
    When I was a kid, if we did anything wrong we an like hell because we KNEW that we would get a smack or two for doing so.
    Now it is all PC, "don't hit your child", yadda, yadda.

Seeya.
    Witty signature under construction.

"And when was that??"
    lol...
    Ever taken american history? Err.. probably not. Anyhow, its same as european... Gun duels were common place, and legal. Knife fights, although not legal, were extremely common during developmental frontier times in texas.
    I agree that parents should be able to discipline their child at their own discression, but the laws were made due to people who abused their children. (which didnt really help, the child abusers still are and always will be.)

Are you sure about those facts?

I seem to remember a few "outlaws" in the old west that were hunted BECAUSE they killed someone in a gun duel.

But I agree if there is NO police or legal authority around that those fights would be common, but as soon as said authority was in place ....

Actually you would be surpised about fighting in old europe throughout the ages.

Fights were common, but the situation changed drastically the minute someone got seriously maimed or killed.

Seeya.
    Witty signature under construction.

to respons to evo fist post about taking the fight outside. if i end up on the ground and the guy is mounting me and ready to beat the living hell out of me. hell, i'm ready to poke his eyes out, i'll bite his nose off. i'll do anything to get the advantage in a situation like that to prevail. call it cheating, i call it not getting me ass beat, and beating his punk a$$ instead.
    “Start by doing what’s necessary, then what’s possible and suddenly, you are doing the impossible”

St. Francis of Assisi

btw, what'd u guys think about those "self defense" weapons on that site? i thought the koppo stick was pretty sweet.
    “Start by doing what’s necessary, then what’s possible and suddenly, you are doing the impossible”

St. Francis of Assisi

I don't think I've heard anyone call such things "cheating" since middle school.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Fair Fighting?????

"Your not cheatin, your not tryin" In U. S. Navy terms: Do whatever possible to win with all available resources. His or her intent will let you know very quickly the degree of how animalistic to go.

V/r

Steve M.

I think all martial arts are "cheating", that's what technique is about.

But in response to J-himself's response: If the guy takes you outside, picks you up, and throws you on the ground and mounts you -- YOU HAVE ALREADY LOST SEVERAL MINI BATTLES ... trying to poke him in the eye at that point will do you little good. How many one eyed Vietnam, WWII or WWI vets you see walking around? One legged, one armed, yea. All the time. It's not see easy to get an eye. And if you have to resort to wegies and what not, your outmatched or undertrained to begin with ... otherwise how did he get you -- a trained MA -- down?

When you train, do you train to pinch someone to get out of a lock, or do you find a way to use your mechanics to do so? These "tricks" you're referring to rely on the guy letting go because of pain. What if he's so high he doesn't feel you kicking his balls? Then what? Your technique better solve the problem, not look for a single miracle cure.

Here's a question. How many people here responding to this have actually been in a street fight?

evo fist, what u said about losing all those mini battles to end up there, I couldnt agree with u more. however, there are times when u end up on ur back with ur opponent mounted on you. it actually happend to me last weekend, where i got into a fight with this one guy. i was leaning against a table in the park, and this guy wanted to box,, (its a long story), anyhoe, i didn't really have time to stand up, because this guy was already in my face, so when things started to get hot, i pulled him towards me, and we ended up on the table with him on top. as i pulled him down, i used his momentum to flip him over, n i got him in a head lock with my left arm while i was pounding him in the ear with my right. n it keeps going a lot longer, but that was just an example on how i got there and i couldnt really do much about it. however, instead of doing what i did, if he got me in a more dominant position, using cheap tricks work well as a last resort. you may have took me a little to literate, but any cheap tricks in a situation like that could work. ie, bitting, eye gouging, etc. at least they're worth a try. again, most of these are used as a last resort if u dont fight like a biyaatch (u know who u are) hehe.

if the guys threshold of pain is that high that he cant even feel a kick to the nuts, i probably wont think nothing of my punches neither. ur talking about some indestructable nemesis here. well, if i were to fight a guy like that, i'd give him all my cheap shots: strike to the throat, nuts, n eyes. if that dont work, i'll either get the hell out of there, or get myself a beating. the latter one will make u a hard mofo after some time, but it may take ur lift too. the first one will make u a pu$$y, but a smart one.

thats my 3 cents

St. Francis of Assisi

just wanted to add something about getting kicked in the nuts. this is only what i've heard, i dunno if its true or not, but when ur in a fight n u get kicked in the nuts, suppsedly because of the adrenaline pumping so high you wont even feel it till afterwards. it may even anger u person getting kicked more. like i said, i dunno if this is true or not, but i think id go down like a sack of potatos.

St. Francis of Assisi

What up J. Crazy about that park situation, but that's kind of my point. You were in a less than great position, but he didn't put you there using his skill. YOu happened to be there already. You made the most of it -- and reversed it -- using technique. Because you were better prepared for the situation you didn't have to grab his ear, eye, balls, ect.

Like I said, don't get me wrong. Put me in a position where I feel danger, then you have to do what you have to do. But you seamed pretty comfortable and in control there. That's more my point. The mindset of "fighting dirty" is a defeatest one. A well trained MA shouldn't have big trouble on the street unless they are oversized by 50 or 60 lbs, a huge hight difference, ect. Weapons, of course, changes everything.

Sometimes I feel so silly posting on here. When the time comes, we do what we've been trained to do ... It just comes out, no?

Bushido's just a recent invention. It's as much romanced as western chivalry is. There is no honor in the battlefield, where honor can equal death. In China, waaayyyy back in the days, they used to conduct wars in an honorable way...they'd fire arrows in turn, and wait for a fallen officer to go back to his charriot before chasing again. They were mostly captured and humiliated, not killed, and that served to end the fight because the other party recognized defeat...but it didn't last long...confrontations with the people on the border made them realize quickly that their gentle chivalric ways of warfare could be good among themselves, but not when it came down to defeating a bunch of wild and hungry invaders...

there are no fouls or cheats in the streets. Testicles are just one target among the others. You can scratch? scratch...there's only one rule: do what it takes to win...and don't listen to these *******es that tell you afterward "man, you cheated, you used dishonorable means", because they probably never been in real troubles in the streets...

Not aiming at anyone here in the conv, just some thoughts...

EF: I somewhat kind of agree to your post...however I feel it's more an issue of compassion (you try not to hurt the guy too much when obviously he's no match for you) rather than "dirty or not dirty". For me fighting is dirty, period. If you're so much better than your opponent, why did you get in the fight anyway? My philosophy is "avoid the fight by all means...but if you end up fighting, nothing is taboo".
    Last edited by Crimson Phoenix; 09-10-2003 at 02:13 AM.
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

vive le france!

always wanted an opportunity to say that