Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traditional weapons outdated!

Traditional weapons outdated!

Who said that we no longer need to learn to use and defend against traditional weapons.

Samurai sword-wielding maniac attacks food stall workers

FUKUOKA -- Two men were wounded early Tuesday in a samurai sword attack at a food stall in Fukuoka's Tenjin shopping district, police said.

The assailant, Yuzo Fujita, was arrested on assault charges on the spot following his bloody attack on the food stall employees that occurred at about 2:30 a.m.

Police said the 42-year-old construction business operator was having a drink at the stall until shortly before the incident.

Fujita reportedly left the stall and grabbed a samurai sword from a car parked nearby before charging back toward the employees.

One of the victims, 26, took a blow to his left arm and had a tendon severed while his 29-year-old colleague escaped with minor injuries. Several other customers were present at the stall but none of them were injured.

Investigators are grilling Fujita to find out his motives. Fukuoka is famous for hundreds of street food venders occupying its streets at night. Stalls serve a variety of drinks and dishes, from ramen noodles to steak, until late in the night. (Mainichi Shimbun, Japan, Sept. 9, 2003)
    I think this is the 6th Sword attack in japan in less than 2 years.
    Add another 4 or so that happened in England.
    Quiet a few deaths & maimed people in those attacks too.

Nevermind the nearly daily slashings and stabbings going on.

Imagine what damage those guys could have done if they had used Guns or similar.

Seeya.
    Last edited by Laughing Cow; 09-08-2003 at 11:57 PM.
    Witty signature under construction.

weapons are weapons, & can be used whenever u want. Whatever the weapon they had used, it would have worked since it was against unarmed individuals. they could as well have used a wolf-club or a kwan-dao.

Imagine the life that might of been saved if its citizens were treated like adults and allowed to carry a personal sidearm for self protection.

Nobody was stopping the criminal from carrying an illegal gun or weapon. He just picked for whatever insane reason a sword to dish out his brand of violence. It could of easily been a gun since criminals don't obey laws.

The only victim here is any poor sap who got cut down. A victim as much by his governments hand as the swordsmen.
    Last edited by Black Jack; 09-09-2003 at 08:30 AM.
    Regards

I don't think he was entirely trying to hurt them. Escaping with minor injuries from a sword attack? I dunno.

I remeber reading about one in Japan where some people were killed in a subway I believe by a sword weilding ninja wannabe.
    Regards

I used to work at a sword shop in SF south of market

There was one incident of a street person getting a hold of a sword and going nuts, but to the best of my knowledge, it wasn't from that sword shop. Now I've been working in shops that sell swords for well over a decade and a half, and man, if only one of those guys would come in here....

Seriously, sword attacks are pretty isolated. But then, I don't really practice sword for street defense. Not everything has to be street defense, at least not here in suburbia.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

chen zhen

weapons are weapons, & can be used whenever u want. Whatever the weapon they had used, it would have worked since it was against unarmed individuals. they could as well have used a wolf-club or a kwan-dao.
    Black Jack

Imagine the life that might of been saved if its citizens were treated like adults and allowed to carry a personal sidearm for self protection.

Crazy fool

One high profile samurai sword attack we had a few years ago here in the uk involved a guy walking into his MP's (member of parliament) office and trying to kill him. He managed to kill the MP's assistant but failed to kill the MP (if i remember rightly he grabbed the sword blade and held on).

Do u really think he would have failed to kill his MP if he had a gun? Or if the MP's assistant had a gun?

Guns are bad news. The fewer there are about the better ...I dont care what your far right money rich gun lobby says.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Brainwashed fool,

Nobody can know the outcome of anything, what if games are for 5th garders, but I would wager the man would of had a much greater chance of survival if he had a real equalizer to bring into play in this situation, any liberal counter arguement you can bring up will be simply shot down by the fact that people all over the world use firearms every day to deter violent crime.

Choosing to be intentionally incompetent by not understanding that there are people in this world that are younger, bigger, stronger, faster and nastier then you is a bad mindtrip to go down. Going hand to hand when other options are available is for the stupid and not the nobel. Being nobel is to take voluntary action to preserve the safety of yourself and your family though realistic measures and not emotional baggage and outdated ideals.

There are MANY traditional martial artists who include the discipline of firearm defense training in there studies and personal protective choices.
    Regards

L, I just tried to say that a weapon cannot be called outdated and uneffective, as long as the one carrying it uses it against an unarmed person.
    k?

I don't care about the gun debate again.. Man some of yall sound like a broken record

But speaking of sword attacks. There was this incident for only a few weeks ago here in Stockholm. This insane man chased random people with a katana blade on the streets. He chased 2 older ladies in to a flat, they took cover in the elevator that had this steel 'fence' between them and the loony. This guy sticks his sword inside the small holes and slash off an ear from one of them and injuring the other one aswell.
    thought I'd share
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

hehe u crazy swedes..

Red face

insane people are scary
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

i haven't heard of one case where the defender has used empty hand skills, or used a traditional weapon to defend themselves in such a terrible siuation.

when i was going to highschool which was downtown , there was a period in time that after school kids used to get robbed, so they started carrying weapons , knives , ice pics to school to defend themselves.
    also there was a time where there was serious rivalry between schools, and rival schools used to meet on public buses or at each others schools or on the streets and attack each other, usually in this case it would be only a certain set of students , but after a while things escalated to a grander scale , sort of like how biggie and pac transformed into east coast vs. west coast.
    for that reason people who had nothing to do with wars started to carry weapons in order to protect themselves.

what happened was the school administrations put a ban on weapons and started searching and stuff, issueing severe penalties if caught. That only helped to a certain extent , I think it is a very tricky issue.
    In most regards I would agree with blackjack that citizens should have the rights to empower themselves. Obviously though there would be a great danger to this as some people are quick to anger and thier conflict resolution skills arent that great.

Black Jack

Nobody can know the outcome of anything, what if games are for 5th garders, but I would wager the man would of had a much greater chance of survival if he had a real equalizer to bring into play in this situation, any liberal counter arguement you can bring up will be simply shot down by the fact that people all over the world use firearms every day to deter violent crime.
    And yet you being american are 10 times as likely to die by gun shot wound than I (being english).
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

guns are cool
    Mack 10 just got out of court,
    rollin through tha hood in his super sport ropin Too $hort.
    Eighteens got tha rearview mirrors vibratin