Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Traditional weapons outdated!

From which specific anti gun center did you dig that piece of info from????

I will tell you that violent crime did not drop in Britian when you were disarmed.....I consider Britian basically doomed in the that its big brother government has such massive contempt for its everyday citizens in this regard......it went up.

Home invasions in specific.

Cheers

Fred-

No...No...No...they are superdupertrooper cool.
    Regards

Originally posted by Black Jack
    Imagine the life that might of been saved if its citizens were treated like adults and allowed to carry a personal sidearm for self protection.

Nobody was stopping the criminal from carrying an illegal gun or weapon. He just picked for whatever insane reason a sword to dish out his brand of violence. It could of easily been a gun since criminals don't obey laws.

The only victim here is any poor sap who got cut down. A victim as much by his governments hand as the swordsmen.
    But at the close range required for a sword attack, would a gun have been any use? From what I have read, a gun at that range is useless unless wielded by a well-trained user.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

a pistol is a close quarters weapon, who told you that a pistol is worthless at close range? I believe the average shooting takes place at less than 10 feet. I don't have the figures in front of me.
    Last edited by Fred Sanford; 09-09-2003 at 06:08 PM.
    Mack 10 just got out of court,
    rollin through tha hood in his super sport ropin Too $hort.
    Eighteens got tha rearview mirrors vibratin

I read somewhere on this forum that if your assailant is within something like 15 feet of you then the chances of you being able to draw your pistol and fire accurately are very low. But then, I know very little about gun use, so feel free to elighten me
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Originally posted by Black Jack
    I consider Britian basically doomed in the that its big brother government has such massive contempt for its everyday citizens in this regard......
    This from an American!

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

As Fred already stated firearms are also a close quarter weapon, they have a great tactical versatility, these are sometimes called contact shots and usually occur within touching distance, from this close range and under stress they are almost instinctive.

Even pocket fire has saved lifes. Where a victim was carrying a small revolver with a shrouded hammer and because the situation happened so fast and at such close quarters he had to shot from the pocket.
    Regards

Some of them are pretty d@mn cool. 90% of america has absolutely no business owning one either.

But I dont want any part in another gun debate.

Kristoffer - that sucks. crazy f*cker. Theres all kinds of nasty sh!t that happens downtown, but it happens so often no one really talks about it anymore...
    There can be a drive by downtown where 3 people get killed, and the news will do a coverage on the duck pond that old man hal fishes at.

Gun crime in the uk is rare enough that when we had a drive by shooting about a year ago, killing 2 young black girls it was on the front page of EVERY news paper for weeks. Items conected with it are still aired on the news.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Anyway I dont want to hyjack this thread so back to swords.

I think that there are 2 main reasons that samuria swords are still hurting people.

1/ There is easy access to them as lots of people have them hanging from wallf for some unknown reason.

2/ There is a HUGE myth surrounding how deadly the samuria were so bringing out a samuria sword gets a big reaction.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

In the 80's there was just as common to carry nunchucks as it was to carry a knife around here. So nunchucks are now banned and is describes as 'karate sticks' in our law
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

That happened here in the seventies. Yet anouther reason to remove any reference of the seventies from the history books.

The 70's rocked!!!

You know, I actually got into the martial arts mostly from my love of swords. I did western fencing for many years, as well as the Japanese arts of kendo, iai and even a little batto-jitsu. I loved them at the time and still think about them a lot. Was it good for self defense? Well, surely there was the conditioning aspect and the sense of timing and distance - with sword in hand I feel pretty competant - but it's pretty specific training. There would be much more efficient ways to train to fight hand-to-hand. Nevertheless, that has never detracted from my enjoyment or respect of those arts. So when someone says traditional weapons are outdated, I say 'outdated for what?' For killing? yeah, yeah, right, right, right. Exactly how many street fights are you getting into? If it's a lot, is that something to be proud of? But traditional weapons are in no way outdated for practice. People practice all sorts of arcane things. They still find value in the practice. By the same notion, you might say letter writing is outdated since email, but I still enjoy writing an occasional letter. There's a lot of value in the practice alone, nevermind it's efficiency. That's the zen of it, really.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Well said, Gene. For those that have seen Hero, the swordplay/calligraphy philosophy comes to mind.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Talking

Seventies rocked? Three words Gene. Bay City Rollers.
    P.S. The seventies were OK until '75 '76, then it was all downhill from there. Disco, styled hair, leisure suits. Need I continue?

S&T

sp: Yeah, I really loved that aspect of Hero. BTW, I hear a rumor that Miramax might try to shut down DVD distribution like they did with Shaolin Soccer, so if you've been waiting to buy, better get them now.

tm: In defense of the 70's, three more words: Enter the Dragon. You should have come over to the other side of the tracks - down to SF Chinatown - we we're rocking at the Great Star and the Pagoda every week with the latest Shaw Brothers release.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart