Page 1 of 95 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: FALUN GONG/Falun Dafa

magicfist Guest

Falun Gong

I have been doing a type of chi gong for over a year called Falun Gong. It has really helped me out a lot in my life, and if anyone is interested I would recommend going to www.falundafa.org
    On their website there are books and videos that can be downloaded for free. It combines buddhist and toaist principals with chi gong. I highly recommend it!

origenx Guest
    I've looked into FG, and honestly don't know enough about qigong, Buddhism and Taoism to say if ~70% of it is true or false. About ~20% I've heard similar stuff before and can agree with. Another 10% I'm very skeptical about, although I couldn't prove it's wrong.

If you know much about it, perhaps I could bounce my skepticisms off you...

magicfist Guest
    I see where your coming from. When I first started, I was extremely skeptical. After doing it myself and then talking to other people, I have completely changed my attitude. If I can help with any questions, please feel free to email me m854agic@aol.com

dwid Guest
    Falun gong is a cult, plain and simple.

cagey_vet Guest

falun gong / falun dafa

sorry guys...
    i have looked into this.
    the propaganda spread by the chinese
    government is not without some truth.

http://www.rickross.com/groups/falun.html

while i am CERTAINLY not a supporter of
    chinese communism, i am not in support of
    cults.
    http://www.rickross.com/reference/fa.../falun193.html
    http://www.rickross.com/reference/fa.../falun188.html
    http://www.rickross.com/reference/fa.../falun176.html

not that the two are related in any way, but:
    i have also seen a mpeg clip of
    li hongzhi teaching falun gong against
    a background that reminds me much of
    the graphics that heavens gate cult used to
    use frequently.

be careful. chi cultivation is one thing.
    cult affiliation is another.

Kung Lek Guest
    Hi-

While the falun gong organization may be culty, the chi kung the do is fairly simple and easy to learn.
    Overall, the chi kung will not do you any harm but if you go for the "company line" then you are talking about something a bit different.

They do standard chi kung exercises such as Jam Jong (ZhangZhong/ Standing Post), Carry the Moon, Lift the Sky and many other very useful Chi Kung exercises.

They are however a political hot potato and have made many outrageous claims about the powers of Chi Kung in relation to acute illness and indeed it is true that people have refused medical treatment because of membership in the organization and have died from their maladies.

You do not need to be a member of a cult poli/religio group to get benefits from Chi Kung practice which can be found, learned and practiced outside these groups.

peace

Kung Lek

origenx Guest
    But this is all primarily lots of hearsay/rhetoric/propaganda/mudslinging. That doesn't impress me. I would like to hear actual factual misconduct or deception, or specific proven errors in the teachings. Anyone?

I've only heard mostly personal attacks on Li or his followers, but little specifically about the actual teachings or exercises. Lets hear about those.

magicfist Guest
    I want to say just a couple of things. First of all, I don not think all people should practice falun gong. If you have been doing a type of chi gong, tai chi, or whatever and are happy, then by all means stick with that. I can only speak from my own experience. I practiced falun gong on my own for over a year before ever meeting another falun gong practitioner. I have not had a single experience to hint that this could be a cult in any way. It has had only postive impacts on my life. There are no memberships, no money is exchanged, and you can do it without ever talking to another person who does falun gong. How could a cult exist without membership? As far as the Chinese media is concerened, you have to keep in mind that the Chinese government has a bad habbit of running people over with army tanks if they voice their opinion. The media in China is controlled by the government. The reason why the Chinese government bagain persecuiting falun gong, is because there are too many people who pratice it. Li Hongzhi lectured for two years to about 20,000 people. withen a few years, several million Chinese were practicing this chi gong. The Chinese government is afraid of anything that could motivate that many people for any reason. The only way someone can be unbiased is if they give it a try themselves. If you don't like it, don't do it. Simple as that. In all though, I'm just trying to say that this has helped my out a lot, and I just wanted to give my opinion. People have the right to their own opinion (even if it is totally opposite of mine).
    www.falundafa.org
    www.clearwisdom.org

magicfist Guest

cagey_vet Guest

falun gong

right, chi stuff is good
    cult stuff is not good.

if you can separate the wheat
    from the chaff then go ahead.

go to rick ross website and see
    the posts from news agencies from
    all over the world.
    something about... oh i dunno...
    some guy claiming to be the center
    of the universe? so he ripped chi gung
    exercises from someplace else....
    i will look for quotes and news clippings
    to set y'all straight.
    cuz you sure arent doing it yourselves :P~

cagey_vet Guest

falun gong

ok here we go...
    from none other than TIME magazine:
    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...8833-2,00.html

In an interview with TIME in April, Li spoke about the
    joys of levitating and claimed that aliens have been
    invading humanity since the beginning of this century.

TIME magazine is hardly in cahoots with
    communist chinese officials, but...

hey, sounds like a kook that found something
    cool to manipulate people with.

i thought different when it first happened.
    like maybe something neat is brewing in the
    world... freedom at last for our national chinese
    brothers and sisters.

upon closer examination, i feel different.
    like dangling a carrot in front of a running
    horse.
    only in this case, the horse gets to bite every
    once in a while, blinded by whats ahead of him
    enjoying the taste of the bite.

premier Guest
    http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/Open...1&m=5721985601

There's the conversation we had on this subject in kung fu forum few weeks ago.

magicfist Guest
    http://clearwisdom.net/eng/weekly_category/support.html

International organizations and governments don't support cults.

Qiman Guest

Magical Thinking

I ordered their Video and instruction manuel.
    They threw in a gallon of gas and a pack of matches for free!!!!!!!! ;) Just kidding of course.

The chi-gung sets are basic and nothing special. The writings of the leader are magical in nature and sound delusional to me. One example is he describes seeing a naked female (vision) while meditating. He explains that this is a visit by a demon attempting to hinder your progress.

This is a very new aspect of meditation to me. I know I have a lot to learn and look forward to the day that naked females visit me. :)

I am joking about that, it would scare the **** out of me to start having hallucinations.

Iron_Monkey Guest

Hmmm

Does anyone know the definition of the word cult? It means;
    1. a particular system of religious worship, esp. with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
    2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, esp. as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.
    3. the object of such devotion.
    4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
    5. Sociol.a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.
    6. a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.

so by definition, Christianity is a cult, Buddhism is a cult, Islam is a cult, Hinduism is a cult............Nice eh? It's not till the 6th definition of the word cult that you guys get your meaning when applied to Falun Gong. Does ANYONE HERE have FIRST HAND knowledge of Falun Gong that is unfavorable? Don't knock it till you try it. Let em be, if they are happy......