Page 7 of 95 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: FALUN GONG/Falun Dafa

Talking

Then we'll go runnin' to the rescue!

Talking

put a "..." around rescue...

Man, I've been a little slow today, when people told jokes... I don't know what's happening with me

Is'nt the ideology behind Falun Gong a mish-mash of different poorly understood chinese philosophies/disciplines?
    sorta like this board...
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Thumbs up

sho 'nuff

Li is a true wacko. His book talks about how his method came from the aliens. He is definitely out in the ozone.

His group got in trouble in the PRC for reasons that are not widely publicized in the west because it is not what the media wants to portray...

However, the reasons for the crackdowns in the PRC...

(1) the Falun Gong folks originally had Li and a couple of other folks under him. Li fled the PRC.

Why...well, his group at all levels was beginning to target local and prefecture level public officials and party members for conversion. They would get the Chief of Police in small areas, the party head, other officials to either look the other way or join in with Falun Gong. Then, the group could hold public demonstrations and recruitments in those areas without fear of harrassment. They were beginning to target larger population centers for the same thing.

Now, from the PRC's point of view, this is EXACTLY what any counter-revolutionary group would do if they wanted to begin a movement to take over the government...from the ground up.

They were in part doing it to protect their postions of power and in another part doing it to prevent something like another Cultural Revolution from outside of the government (personally I think it was about 75+% of the first ..but that was their reasoning.

Second reason: The two or three high up leaders after Li left were found to be using their positions to persuade extremely young girls into sexual things with them...this at any level is bad news...unless of course you are Mao and doing it with the secret police

Third reason: There were members that were not exactly sane that did personal harm to themselves so they could be closer to Li or test some of the ideas. These things were blown out of proportion by the Chinese media but there WERE crazies that did this kind of thing...then again, there were crazy young girls in the early 60's that did harm to themselves over the Beatles....

People get benefits from Falun Gong...but what they report can be obtained just the same from practicing any number of Qi Gong methods.

There is simply nothing special about it...but it does have a strange lunatic at the head.

As for Tibet, it IS a pity what is happening there. However, the question of Tibetan sovereignty has been around just like the thing between the Irish and the English for a LONG time.

The PRC HAS done some bad things. However, the other side of that coin are the bad things that were done regularly in Tibet before the PRC took over.

Those items were reported...but the real tragedy is what has happened to the Tibetan culture over the years.

6. Thumbs up

Enough ingredients to produce a dangerous cult.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Would you like some kool aid?

Post FALUN GONG/Falun Dafa

I was wondering if any of the Qiqong and meditation practitioners here know of Falun Dafa and what they think of it?
    Essentially the practice and lifestyle was introduced in 1992 by Li
    Hongzhi and has really become a movement in china to promote wellness and health and a more peaceful way of living ones life. However the government doesnt think so. they regard the practitioners as a threat and a cult and has gone to such lengths to try and stop the organization.

This is not a promotion for the Society of Falun dafa, i am just attemtping to start a discussion to get an idea if any here practice this or know what it is and thier opinions.

Peace,,,,,Wind and Mountain
    Chung-Chih(Loyalty and Wisdom) A heart that is in the center is a heart in the right place. The wisdom that the heart spreads is the knowledge that spreads and enlightens,like the suns' rays, benefitting the world at large.

9. Thumbs up

I can only think of it as a cult.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

that seems to be the general consensus

however i am more interested in the qiqong practices rather than the political practices.

Peace,,Wind and Mountain
    Chung-Chih(Loyalty and Wisdom) A heart that is in the center is a heart in the right place. The wisdom that the heart spreads is the knowledge that spreads and enlightens,like the suns' rays, benefitting the world at large.

11. Thumbs up

Sorry...
    From what I read,seemed as if they had "high hopes".
    You ought to think that the practices are pretty much out of the question,for public that is,considering their status.

-FC, summer of 2006-

It's crap.

Can or WILL you elaborate?

is it because of the political practices or the qiqong practices?

(Note) i am not a follower of falun gong)

i will say that i know a woman who runs a vegan resteraunt where i live and she is a follower and seems like a well rounded individual( i mean her vegan food is out of this world). anyway.

Peace,,Wind and Mountain

There qigong has no basis in TCM or meridians, just phoney movements Li Hongzhi made up. I agree quite crappy!
    Bless you

Not true.

The qigong is borrowed from various sources and incorporated. What I have seen of the qigong is legitimate qigong.

The problem is with Li and the agenda of the organization, not with teh qigong used and propogated. Carry the moon, lift the sky, seated dragon etc etc are all "standards", I've seen people here using wild goose in their dailies.

The ideas and philosophy of Li is what is weird.

You can find thesegongs from other teachers without the 'cult' trappings. Most good trad Kungfu teachers know a variety of Gongs that suit their arts.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.