Thread: Upcoming K1 fight: Sapp vs Akebono.

Cool Upcoming K1 fight: Sapp vs Akebono.

Sumo great Akebono to join K-1 as fighter

Former yokozuna and sumo stablemaster Akebono has left the Japan Sumo Association to join K-1 as a fighter, it was learned Thursday.

He tendered his resignation as stablemaster and sumo association member to its president, former Yokozuna Kitanoumi, Wednesday.

His boss, stablemaster Azumazeki, expressed disappointment over Akebono's decision. "He told me yesterday evening that he wanted to quit. I then found all his belongings had disappeared from his room. I didn't feel like stopping him because it was the fourth time (he had told me he wanted to quit). He said he has something big he wants to achieve. Anyway, I'm disappointed."

A native of Hawaii, Akebono, 34, whose real name is Taro Akebono, made his debut as a sumo wrestler in the spring of 1988. Following the New Year tournament in 1993, he became the first foreign national to be promoted to yokozuna, the highest rank as a sumo wrestler. He obtained Japanese nationality in April 1996.

Akebono won 11 tournaments before retiring and becoming a stablemaster in January 2001. (Mainichi Shimbun, Japan, Nov. 6, 2003)

is it just me or is K-1 starting to turn into a kind of UFC....

this would definitely be an interesting match though. But to be honest I dont see him getting very far in K-1 against the likes of Sefo, Hoost, and Carter. he has been competing in an entirely different sport his whole life- the changeover would be a lot more difficult than say mike tysons.
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

Akebono is still only 34yrs old, I think the biggest hurdle might be the injuries he received during his Sumo days.

Don't forget that he has also been training & fighting since he was young, I think he might stand a better chance than Tyson in the long run.

I think the K1 needs to get a few known names in in order to keep people interested in it.

"I think the K1 needs to get a few known names in in order to keep people interested in it."

agreed, wether or not it's devicive is irrelevant. The fact is that this sort of thing will most surely be beneficial to the K1 arena , and crossover fans from various genres of fighting.

sort of like cross fertilization of hip hop with : rock, r&b, reggae, etc. it can only lead to a bigger success as a commercial venture

wether or not this would water down the sport or turn it into a circus is very much unknown , but all in all i think it's a good hting to add new ingredients to the recipe.

Ok, looks like my guess for his first fight was correct.

Akebono vs Bob "The Beast" Sapp

is set for Dec.31th in Japan.

Watched the pre-fight press-conference on TV.

Thumbs up

well aren't you just a ..erm...Monkeys uncle

Thumbs up

Too bad K1 dun allow throws, I think they could add more excitement.

Akebono for k1, awsome.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

that would be the same as San Shou.

yea (=more exciting ) but not exactly, san shou allows sweeps etc.

I hate to watch k1 fights from France, the only country that don't allowe knee strikes.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

i thought the french had their savate anyway, replete with sissy looking punches and spandex suits
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."