Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sparring questions??

Sparring questions??

Hi all.

Here are a few questions about the sparring you do:

1.) Do you do free-sparring (anything goes)?

2.) Do you use your styles techniques during sparring?

3.) Do you work a few techs per sparring session?

4.) Does your sparring look like kick-boxing or the style you train?

5.) Does your Sifu stop and correct you when you use a tech not in the style or use a tech from the style wrong?

Why, I am asking this questions should be easy to spot, if not I will tell you later.

Seeya.
    Witty signature under construction.

Re: Sparring questions??

Originally posted by Laughing Cow
    Hi all.

Here are a few questions about the sparring you do:

5.) Does your Sifu stop and correct you when you use a tech not in the style or use a tech from the style wrong?

Why, I am asking this questions should be easy to spot, if not I will tell you later.

Seeya.
    1. Now and then

2. I try to

3. Usually anything goes. Sometimes we limit it to only hands, or nothing above the shoulder.

4. If you are wearing boxing gloves, you tend to look like you are doing kickboxing.

5. No, he does the analysis at the end.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Re: Sparring questions??

Yep, as well as various other methods.

I try to concentrate on making my sparring as reflective of my style as possible. I know that my styles techniques are awesome, so I work to perfect them. Sometimes, however, such as when boxed into a corner, the old HULK SMASH mentality kicks in and it looks nothing like my style!

Sometimes.

The newer guys tend to look like kickboxers. More experienced guys spar with a greater control and deeper reflection of the style.

Of course not. Especially if it works!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

yeah, sometimes

always

I usually pick a technique or two and try to use it during the seesion. If it works, great. If not, I try it until I get it. Of course, it won't be the only technique I use, but I do look for opportunities to use it.

looks like kickboxing. I kickbox though, so it's cool.

of course not. That's best left for AFTER the match.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Only with my friend, at my school great care is placed on technique.

All the time.

If I am sparring someone of less skill maybe, gives me a chance to go back to some basics and work on them.

The style that I train. We're the most authentic looking kung fu sparrers I've seen in my area.

If he catches something major sure he'll tell you that you're doing it wrong and correct it. Also the person you're sparring might do the same.

Yes Sometimes

Yes

Depends

I've trained san shou, so i guess to an extent, but there are things about how we spar that kickboxers don't use.

yes

Originally posted by SevenStar

looks like kickboxing. I kickbox though, so it's cool.
    LOL.

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Currently we do a couple different free sparring drills.

Of course, we do traditional free wrestling. I want to throw you and you want to throw me. No striking or groundwork. I also practice an adapted form of Tai Chi push hands. We will follow the push hand format (yielding, sticking, following, leading, etc.)

But we add in the Shuai Chiao legs to complete our throws. The idea is to learn how to find the correct throwing opportunity in push hands and then learn how to apply the skill in free wrestling.

In a couple weeks, we are going to start sparring with striking. Muay Thai and Boxing. I'm not 100 % sure, but I think I read on the internet somewhere that both of those styles believe in free sparring as well.

That's the whole point. Sparring is not a fight. Sparring is a tool that you use to develop your technique. It teaches you how to use a technique when the other guy is trying to prevent you from applying it. If all you want to do is fight, go find a local Toughman contest.

Not per se. Free sparring should be mostly inrestricted, because if you see an opportunity, you should capitalize on it. Don't pass up an opportunity because you don't want to practice that throw today One of the "Big Ideas" in sparring is learning when it is appropriate to apply what technique. Merryprankster likes to call this "High Percentage Techniques" but I think it's more a matter of YOU learning when YOU are able to pull off which techniques and which you aren't. This is also the place you figure out which techniques are good for YOU to learn.

We do practice a lot of live throwing drills though. My goal may be to throw you with a hip throw. Your goal may be to stop my attack and counter with a head mopping throw. But those drills develop different attributes than free fighting.

Get this question out of your head. Immediately. What does Kung Fu look like? I have no idea. I know what Shuai Chiao looks like in sparring, because I train it. I don't know what Hun Gar looks like in sparring because I have never seen it. What does a strong punch "look" like? What does a solid throw "look" like? Worry about how effective the techniquesare that you are learning. Don't worry what it looks like. Shuai Chiao is ugly as hell in free fighting, but it works!

5.) Does your Sifu stop and correct you when you use a tech not in the style

No

or use a tech from the style wrong?

Only if it was inefficient. Otherwise, it's basically trial and error.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Yes. Sometimes full contact with lots of pads, sometimes with little pads, sometimes in street clothing. Sometimes not full contact, but with various other limitations for various training methodology reasons I probably dont understand. We call it progressive sparring, and I think there is even 17 specific 'levels' or 'limitations' depending on who you talk to.

How could I possibly not use my style's techniques during sparring? Of course I do, they are all mine. To actually defeat my opponent in various ways, I use my hands, feet, arms, legs, shoulders, hips, head, etc.

Often. We call it drilling.

I dont train kick boxing.

As far as sparring goes, the teacher doesnt interfere if thats what your suggesting. As for your actual question, huh?

strike!

I haven't done much sparring over the last few months. Mainly working drills, practicing techniques and doing forms. However I get to use my stuff on resisting opponents in the real world about once a month. My job has some perks.

I lose sleep over this one, lol. if it works and I know what I'm trying to accomplish, I don't care what it looks like.

5.) Does your Sifu stop and correct you when you use a tech not in the style

yea the same way someone will stop the fight in the street if someone does something unorthodox.

or use a tech from the style wrong?

if your usage of the tech works then it ain't wrong
    Mack 10 just got out of court,
    rollin through tha hood in his super sport ropin Too $hort.
    Eighteens got tha rearview mirrors vibratin

1.)Free Spar?
    Yep. No takedowns, strikes to the leg. Beat the hell out the groin, though

2.) Usestyle-specific techniques?
    Honestly, at my dojo, it's not really emphasized.

3.) Work those techs into sparring?
    Not usually

4.) Appear to be kick-boxing or style?
    Neither, actually. If something looks like kickboxing, it's probably ****ing kickboxing (I hope the word before kickboxing doesn't get edited out. Be ****ing tragic). What's taken the moniker kickboxing looks like really, really poor fighters fighting with poor technique. Lack of training, control, experience are all sadly evident in these "kickboxing" (I hate quotation marks) devolutions.
    If something looks like one's style, and I'm just hazarding a guess that by style, it resembles the techniques contained within the forms, then yeah. Can't say this for any kung fu styles (as the two fights involving kung fu students I've seen were in the lower ranking point sparring matches I participated in) but . . . what? A martial art gives you the tools to whup the **** outta somebody. Doesn't matter if someone's Dragon-Clears-His-Path looked like a ****ing Dragon Clearing Himself a God-****ed Path or the Pivot-Step-Into-Wrist-Break looked like the ****ing guard position in Chinto. You get the tools. You use them. It's your style if you've trained in your ****ing style. You take what you can make work in the sit-chi-a-shun. Or something.

5.) Does teach stop the match, correct technique?
    Not usually, unless a body hits the floor.

With all due respect to my sensei, and God knows I have the utmost respect, a lot of love, and a big-as-all-hell debt, for and to him, it seemed our stuff was slowly sliding down McDojo highway just before my black belt test. Now, when it came to the higher grades, those of us who've been ta hell an back with 'im, we sometimes get to the hardcore, this is what this technique could do to your granmama's spleen kinda stuff. But, with the lower ranks, we started doing Chanbara (can't even pronounce the ****ing name). Foam sword fighting. Got it started after seeing it at a ****ing tournament. Got the kids fired up (the only way we were keeping the doors to that small-ass house open). Then, got adults doing it. Not my bag. I'm a form, form, form, footwork, footwork, bagwork, bagwork kinda guy. Sparring is cool, but often times, as it's been said, **** devolves to, well, ****.

Don't know what shape our school's in right now. I go up there occasionally to hang out with my girlfriend while her nephew's in class. Don't recogize half those kids. Don't really pay attention to the class workout, though.

Another month, time to become a badass again.

~Peace~
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

1. yes
    2. yes
    3. i focus on one or two things that i sucked at last time i sparred andwork mainly on those, but it's still open season
    4. it looks like wing tsun when i'm not sucking
    5. no. he'll say something like "keep your head back" or "keep your elbows in," but stoppage only happens when someone's about to go through the drywall, someone has a obvious, conclusive position over their opponent, someone's hurt, etc.

sisok i think would rather we figure out what works and what doesn't with our hands, feet and face. if our hands and feet don't figure it out, the face will.

and no technique from a style is really all that wrong. application may be (not gonna use my hands to block a kick to my shin, because that'll leave my head and other bits way the **** open). if i'm sparring and mainly focusing on wing tsun with my opponent, and i can sneak a roundhouse or spinning backfist in, all the better. i expect the same from my partners -- if i'm leaving an opening, take it. press me and make me work for it.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Actually, when I kickbox, it looks like bagua!
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by Water Dragon
    [i]

Not per se. Free sparring should be mostly inrestricted, because if you see an opportunity, you should capitalize on it. Don't pass up an opportunity because you don't want to practice that throw today One of the "Big Ideas" in sparring is learning when it is appropriate to apply what technique. Merryprankster likes to call this "High Percentage Techniques" but I think it's more a matter of YOU learning when YOU are able to pull off which techniques and which you aren't. This is also the place you figure out which techniques are good for YOU to learn.
    It should be irrestricted, but by going into it with a goal of using specific techniques, you're getting yourself in the habit of being able to recognize the opening for applying a specific technique or principle. Also, it will make you more versatile. I stopped using the kimura during grappling, because about 95% of my taps come from some form of kimura or americana. It's very high percentage for me, but I needed to be able to be just as effective with other techniques also.

Say I want to work on my uchi mata (ho ti). I will use whatever technique I have the opportunity to use, but I am specifically looking for a way to set up my uchi mata.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

interestin inquiry...

i think everyone here can attest to what works for them(hopefully) so i'll shed some light on some jow ga "sparrin"...

"free" sparrin, not much in the beginner or intermediate levels as this helps very little to develop a strong foundation. anything goes? no, its a trainin drill. however, we do drill the obvious maimin techniques apart from free sparrin.

yes and no. generally, we don't believe "jow ga" vs "jow ga" is very productive b/c we're already familiar w/ the style and how to defend against it, so its more fruitless than anything. rather, we have a "jow ga" guy then a "dummy" guy(usually kickboxer, karate, tkd impressionist). and rather than free spar, we try to focus on specific techniques or concepts to develop(includin footwork and other attributes). so in that sense, YES! all the time...(i honestly don't see why people have such a hard time doin this, its jus like trainin boxin, if u have a qualified teacher w/ experience to show u properly and u must develop it like anything else-then again jow ga is really combat intensive).

(see above)

is it "beauty" in motion? hardly. is it effective and to the point, of course.

generally no, usually sifu's too busy sittin on the sidelines w/ popcorn and soda laughin in amusement but when i train w/ other sihings, OOHHH yeah! they're on ya like white on rice! only b/c they know what u r and r not sposta be workin on for the session. so they try to help develop the specified techniques as opposed to allowin u to delude urself out of progressin further w/ the focus of that session.

good questions man, though some may not be relavent, i got the gist that people should be constantly assessin their trainin and their progress. i agree w/ the way someone said on here earlier that people should take sparrin in stride and not all @ one time. i guarantee u(here goes my example again) that if u tried this experiment, ur results would be this: if u had 2 groups of 5 people and allowed each group to train for 6 months in a prescribed manner. group A simply free spars from scratch and learns through trial and error(includin whatever is practiced in class). and u have group B train certain drills and small attributes to solidify their foundation, u give them a few basic techniques and let them work those repeatedly for 6 months(in a certain trainin process) after those 6 months, u can pit the 2 groups against eachother. i can guarantee u that even though group A may be able to use a few techniques and may know a lot more through trial and error, group B through a pre-defined, consistent, simple method(which included periodic "free" sparrin" w/ drills) will spank them by AT LEAST 4 out of 5 matches, that ONE bein if one of the guys had some previous trainin and experience.

point-u must assess how u train and ur learnin(growth) curve. everyone is responsible for their own in the end and can blame noone else if given the tools to succeed but they do not. ask questions, learn different methods, but take responsibility for ur own development.(okay, i'm tired, sorry so long )
    "Pride builds walls between people; Humility builds bridges."- R. Warren