Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: power

power

Hello all

There is some debate on where dose your power come from? Some say it is from your base,Others say its in the hips, Yet a third veiw of it says its a combonation of the knee,hip and elbo,thats tranphers the energy into the ground.
    I belive its is all in the useing of the boddy as a single unit.

Whats you school of thought???
    sincerly. C.A.G.

Re: power

Originally posted by curtis
    There is some debate on where dose your power come from?
    A "dose" of power is a good thing.
    Some say it is from your base,Others say its in the hips, Yet a third veiw of it says its a combonation of the knee,hip and elbo,thats tranphers the energy into the ground.
    I'm seeking Wing Chun power that comes from the ground. Lots of Wing Chun has not got this.
    I belive its is all in the useing of the boddy as a single unit.
    Nice trick. Saying it and doing it are light years apart.
    Whats you school of thought???
    Eclecticism.

Regards,
    John Weiland
    "Et si fellitur de genu pugnat"
    (And if he falls, he fights on his knees)
    ---Motto of the Roman Legionary

"Aim at Heaven and you will get earth 'thrown in': aim at earth
    and you will get neither." --C. S. Lewis

ask the expert:

Rolling Hands, SaVi, Train, canglong,.....

where the power comes from?

IMHO Power comes from the centre, which is supported by the ground.
    S.Teebas

Some say it is from your base,Others say its in the hips, Yet a third veiw of it says its a combonation of the knee,hip and elbo,thats tranphers the energy into the ground.---

whoever these people is , they dont know where the power comes....

i belive power comes from my dream. so i dont know where the power comes too

i also told Dan power comes from rain bow
    Last edited by Phenix; 09-08-2003 at 11:06 PM.

Phenix writes:

Whats all that mean?
    S.Teebas

Originally posted by S.Teebas
    Phenix writes:

Whats all that mean?
    if one need electrical power for a walk man. then, one get from batteries and or wall power plug.

if some said batteries, some said power station, some said nueclear reactor..... what do you think?

Many different kinds of power.
    Context is evrything.

What kind of power are we talking about?

The old Indian fable of nine blind men describing the elephant is instructive.

Originally posted by Phenix

ur wrong
    everyone know that power comes out of the barrel of a gun (MZD)

MZD may be correct but then there are different kinds of guns
    and the folks that are on either end of them.

Stay with what comes ...? OOps- wrong context again?

all wrong...

power comes from the big bang

yuanfen
    thank you, for not being such a wise cracker!
    I am trying to be sincere, to ask a serious question, and everybody plays it like a joke.
    The power source (or energy transfer) is what I'm trying to find, when you may contact with your opponent, either it be striking or trapping, how does the energy transfer through your body, so that you can absorb or redirect energy that otherwise, off-balance you.
    Example dealing with the larger opponent, if he pushes into you, how do you react? I'm sure you do not want him to push you off your base. So how can absorb his energy? (Even if you say you'll redirect his energy, there has to be some type of stability, this stability is what I am looking for.)
    Perhaps this is not the best example. Although I hope you get the idea I am trying to find?

And for those jokesters. If you don't know, just please be quiet! You're just wasting everyone's time.
    Thanks again. I am seriously hopeing somebody will try to answer my question. I know there is no one correct answer. But I still like hear your ideas.
    Sincerely yours. C.A.G.

Hi Curtis- you have now provided a little more of a context-though details can still vary. In any case- the answers will depend on the background of the person responding.

Peterson's book on Wong Shon Leung gives a fairly good answer-
    avoid reaction backwards i.e. parallel to the ground.
    Strive for the energy path from the ground into the hands.
    The better yee gee kim yeung ma you have and the better your chum kiu turn- the better your chain of power from the ground to the hands. The more control you have over each link in that chain-
    the cleaner your power delivery.
    Of course there are more details- including the clarity of your intent.

I now have to go practice and teach what I preach! Cheers.

Good wishes, Joy

Originally posted by curtis
    Example dealing with the larger opponent, if he pushes into you, how do you react? I'm sure you do not want him to push you off your base. So how can absorb his energy? (Even if you say you'll redirect his energy, there has to be some type of stability, this stability is what I am looking for.)
    And for those jokesters. If you don't know, just please be quiet! You're just wasting everyone's time.
    Just the basics, straight the spine, especially around the back of the neck and back of the chest, relax the shoulders, Tai Gong (pull up the anus a little), relax the legs and eyes focus forward. If the hands are doing something, point them towards the guy who pushes you.

relax... no joke this time

yuanfen & yylee thank you both.

Yylee I was aware of the projecting the hips to the channel energy. Thank you for your comments.

Yuanfen I am sorry I do not understand your quote.

"The better yee gee kim yeung ma you have and the better your chum kiu turn- the better your chain of power from the ground to the hands. The more control you have over each link in that chain-
    the cleaner your power delivery."

Is there anyway you can be a little bit more clear. I am sorry, I do not understand,there are many concepts from classical Wingchun, that we do not use, in our style of WingChunDo.

This is one of the reasons why I asked this question, I am trying to understand more about the classical system. But there are so many different schools of thought, and ways of doing things that are foreign to what I know. I have gone to seminars,in the hope to get first hand understand . The masters Ive seen are William Chung, Augustine Foung, and Leong Ting. All three masters have an entirely different view of Wingchun .
    And now I see a videotape from Enim Boztepe, who explains the power transfer differently than anyone else I've ever heard from. Granted, I know Boztepe, is a Roque Wingchun practitioner, but I cannot believe just because he does things differently means that he is wrong.
    I am on a quest. for knowledge, I wish to understand.
    I am not concerned with the opinions of right and wrong, I am only interested in the understandings of how and why you belive it works, I will personally invalidate the right's and the wrongs for myself. I would Sincerely like to have more outside information.

I have found this forum to be quite entertaining and informational. But as I see it many topics are not covered. That is why I am asking.
    Thank you very much. I hope there are other points of view on this topic as well.

Sincerely yours. C.A.G.