Thread: Robert Chu Seminar in London

Robert Chu Seminar in London

Hello All,

As some of you know I try to take the opportunity to travel and visit with other Wing Chun families.

In the past I have seen John Crescione (sp) teach Dim Mak, Rene Riche, Marty Goldberg, Benny Meng and several other teachers present at the Wing Chun friendship seminars, I have met Andreas Hoffman and Garret Gee and enjoyed the information they have taught.

Over the last two weeks, I have had the opportunity to train with some really great martial artists. Upon my arrival in London, I was reacquainted with several of my friends that I have not seen for nearly two years, and met several dozen more new mates whom have been diligently training under Alan Orr in the UK. In the week prior to the seminar I was fortunate enough to train with Alan and his students and experience the methods they use to train and pass on the art of my Sifu.

All the students were disciplined, worked hard, and helped each other to achieve a high level of understanding and skill. I was pleased to see how well the classes were structured and the high degree of understanding Alan’s students have. Alan himself is a machine. We trained almost every night until 3 in the morning and we were up again at 8:30 to start over. He has worked very hard to achieve the depth of understanding he has and it shows in his students and in his skill.

Alan is my Kung Fu brother as we both train under Sifu Robert Chu and I am very appreciative that he took the time and made the effort to train with me and compare with me. It is always a great experience when you can train with your Kung Fu relatives, especially ones that put so much time and effort into what they do.

On September 5, 6, 7 and 8, Sifu Chu taught 3 days in London and 1 day in York covering the forms and their application, body structure methods and tests, and a short course on Traditional Chinese Medicine.

In attendance were twenty plus Wing Chun students that studied directly under Sifu Alan Orr. Each session was informative and educational and everyone left with more then enough information to keep them training until Sifu Chu returns. Because Alan’s students were versed in these methods already, there was an opportunity to explore some points more in depth then is usually the case at a seminar. I was a little sad because though the seminar was open to the public, not a single person chose to attend from another family of Wing Chun.

For those that wanted to go and did not or could not, I recommend that you visit Alan and see the Chu Sau Lei method for yourself.

Alan Orr: http://www.alanorr.com

David McKinnon

Hey David,

Welcome back. Glad you had a great time. Best to all!

BTW - Silver lining side of things, the fewer people who attend those seminars or go see Alan, the fewer I have to worry about pounding me with those methods if I'm ever in London.