Thread: I have to learn this style!

Talking I have to learn this style!

This is one style that I got to learn.

Sounds totally awesome and the origin story just blew me away.

Youn Wha Ryu

"Youn Wha was a legendary female martial artist living on a remote island in the Orient. She was a regognized master of alchemy and a highly skilled martial artist. Her beauty was as legendary as her skill level in the martial arts, and many highly proficient martial artists in the nations, knowing of her acclaimed beauty and skill, embarked on journeys to see her and train with her.
    To reach her, the martial artists had to defeat and avoid traps that could maim and kill the unwary. It was only the best and the most highly skilled martial art masters that weathered these pitfalls and were rewarded with the opportunity to view the beautiful Youn Wha. Unbeknownst to these masters, Youn Wha would use her skills in alchemy to prevent these high level martial artists from leaving her island, by drugging their food and drink. As she was the only one who had the daily antidote, for the drug, those who left her fortress did not survive the traps. In this way, she required the masters to write down their secrets so she could gain the knowledge of their systems and train in the techniques. It is from these writings that the system of Youn Wha was formed. The Youn Wha system contains all high level techniques from all systems and is unique in that no other system contains so many high level principles in one training method."
    Hope the original island still exists.
    Witty signature under construction.

somebody hand me a grain of salt…

A grain?
    More like a bucket load!

sombody read The Odyssey after taking E.

Drumroll please.....

Due to its complexity, Grandmaster Han integrated Tae Kwon Do into his teaching system.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

lofl
    fear the mighty power of TKD!
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
    lofl
    fear the mighty power of TKD!
    This is a problem with idiotic marketing. Not with taekwondo.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

wtf does lofl mean?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

How could she incoperate tae kwon do, It originated last century. what bullcrap is that?

mk
    laughing out f'ing loud

In an effort to legitimize themselves, TKD proponents (including the Korean government) spout off that TKD is 2,000 years old. Just as bad as all the big Kempo schools claiming they teach Shaolin kung fu, as far as I'm concerned.

Originally posted by Starchaser107
    How could she incoperate tae kwon do, It originated last century. what bullcrap is that?

mk
    laughing out f'ing loud
    Not that I'm defending this place (I'm not) but the site said that "he" incorporated TKD. He being GM Han I presume.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    In an effort to legitimize themselves, TKD proponents (including the Korean government) spout off that TKD is 2,000 years old. Just as bad as all the big Kempo schools claiming they teach Shaolin kung fu, as far as I'm concerned.
    Some taekwondo proponents do, yes. Others do not.

Years ago, Herb Perez (former Olympic taekwondo champion) did a really excellent series of articles on the history of taekwondo. Not mystified or glamourized. Very solid read. Anyone who's genuinely interested in getting past the hoopla should try and find the back issues.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Thumbs up

very keen eyes when it comes to paperwork...I wonder where that comes from hmmn.
    hehheh
    thanks for the heads up.

this does bring up another questioon though

Why is tkd the basis of the style? Isn't that different from saying that the basics come from tkd?

critique

Originally posted by apoweyn

Years ago, Herb Perez (former Olympic taekwondo champion) did a really excellent series of articles on the history of taekwondo. Not mystified or glamourized. Very solid read. Anyone who's genuinely interested in getting past the hoopla should try and find the back issues.
    Where were these published, Stu?
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Lightbulb TKD.....

is a westernized american ized version of hwarangdo(which i have seen in action and it looks pretty good........for a movie )
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.