Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In need of MAJOR help with closing the gap

In need of MAJOR help with closing the gap

Ok guys, i need ideas for closing the gap when sparring. I can't really expand on what i'm asking much because i'm used to fighting, and as I found out yesteday, sparring is completely different.

The only idea i've been thinking about trying is rushing in with my hands up, along with one knee to protect my body and face. and as i put the knee down, pummle the guy with punches.

all of your thoughts and experiences are welcome, thanks.
    "The object is not to hurt someone else, but to stop them from hurting you."

"Fighting is not hitting, any fool can hit. Fighting is making the other guy miss. He misses, he gets scarred."

"Nudity and violence are what make a good movie. Violent lesbian nudity makes a great movie." - GDA

- Where's my Mook?

Hello Jeff! It's been some times, I think!
    You notice that sparring is not the same as fighting?...You're not the only one who thinks that way but whatever...The idea is to get in striking range with your hands up in whatever the jong sau you're using .You then strike and hit the guy or you strike and he blocks,giving you a bridge to walk on or,he attacks you and you still have a bridge to work from. The manner in witch you get in range is not important as keeping a good triangle or jong sau and using good timing when in striking distance.

well, i no longer practice wing chun...haven't for a long time because of injury. I just recently started to study Kenpo, and really love it, but i realize that you wing chun guys are excellent at closing the gap, and i'm fishing for ideas . So far i've only tried closing the gap by rushing straight in. I haven't put my idea into practice yet though.

By pummeling with punches i mean boxing style punches.

"Fighting is not hitting, any fool can hit. Fighting is making the other guy miss. He misses, he gets scarred."

"Nudity and violence are what make a good movie. Violent lesbian nudity makes a great movie." - GDA

- Where's my Mook?

Jeff the bridge you described sounds similar to a TWC entry technique.

Maybe Phil Redmond or Ultimate can help you more if you want to explore this technique. (Useful but not one of my most favourite techniques for bridging).

Have you tried bridging with low round house or drawing techniques?

Some of the sparring bridges you use may depend a bit on the gloves you're wearing. (large gloves provide better head protection but are very hard to incorporate into some techniques such as larp/tan/bil etc.)

low roundhouse to knee? if so, its against the rules in our club to kick the legs during sparring.

Also, what do you mean by drawing techniques namron?

Oh and the gloves i use are those foam dipped things..brand name is macho.

- Where's my Mook?

Well, the reverse punch is in the forms, (like the classic karate punch) but when sparring, we use boxing punches. And yes, thats exactly what i mean by combinations.

And thanks for explaining drawing but "lowering my guard" makes me nervous

- Where's my Mook?

Re: In need of MAJOR help with closing the gap

Originally posted by Jeff Liboiron
    Ok guys, i need ideas for closing the gap when sparring. I can't really expand on what i'm asking much because i'm used to fighting, and as I found out yesteday, sparring is completely different.
    The easiest is to let your opponent do it for you. When they move forward to attack, rather than retreating, stay where you are, move to the flank or a little forward too. The problem then becomes how not to get hit while this is going on!
    Same works if their movement is limited in other ways. It's obvious if they are kicking. Less so with other cues.

well, i no longer practice wing chun...haven't for a long time because of injury. I just recently started to study Kenpo
    Jeff.
    If I remember,you have a leg problem that should impair your mobility. How do you manage in kenpo?...

The only idea i've been thinking about trying is rushing in with my hands up, along with one knee to protect my body and face. and as i put the knee down, pummle the guy with punches.

Jeff,

what is the completely different between sparring and fighting?
    what legs stlye your kick or knee technics from?

Hi Jeff,

Just some thoughts.

How does your opponent react generally when you attempt to close? Does he "run," stepping back or side-stepping out of range; does he block, standing where he is; or does he either jam you or advance himself?

For the "runner," you need to enter very quickly and stick with him so he cannot get out of range again. Be aware, a good "runner" will stick you and run at the same time, melting away before your attack. Timing and broken timing are essential to catch the runner.

The blocker can be the easiest, just pick your attack, then fake either high or low, and make your real attack around, or my preference, through his defense. Some blockers can be seduced with fakes.

For the jammer, you need to be most aware of your own vulnerabilities, so be prepared to, as in Wing Chun, to receive his counter-attack and do something with it. Once in range, your job is to counter his attacks and deliver your own. If both are equally matched, then this will result in repeated attacks and dispersion of the attacks, or in what I consider a "worst case" scenario, an exchange of blows, which makes it a crap shoot. (Remembering the condition of being "equally" matched.)

Good question. Fun to think about. Kenpo's a good art. I studied Kenpo from Sandy Sanderson back in the 1970s in Menlo Park, California.

Regards,
    John Weiland
    "Et si fellitur de genu pugnat"
    (And if he falls, he fights on his knees)
    ---Motto of the Roman Legionary

"Aim at Heaven and you will get earth 'thrown in': aim at earth
    and you will get neither." --C. S. Lewis

Re: Re: In need of MAJOR help with closing the gap

Originally posted by Phenix

Jeff,

what is the completely different between sparring and fighting?
    what legs stlye your kick or knee technics from?
    Well, i've been in lots of street fights. The difference for me is that in a fight you have someone that wants to rip your head off. They rush you alot, and most of the time, you don't have to close distance between you and your opponent to take him out.

I use the same techniques in fighting, but i think of sparring as more of a game of tag then the "I'm gonna kill this ****" mentality that i have while in a fight, and so i'm not as aggressive i i guess...i don't really know how to explain it.

- Where's my Mook?

Re: Re: In need of MAJOR help with closing the gap

Originally posted by John Weiland

Hi Jeff,

Just some thoughts.

How does your opponent react generally when you attempt to close? Does he "run," stepping back or side-stepping out of range; does he block, standing where he is; or does he either jam you or advance himself?

For the "runner," you need to enter very quickly and stick with him so he cannot get out of range again. Be aware, a good "runner" will stick you and run at the same time, melting away before your attack. Timing and broken timing are essential to catch the runner.

The blocker can be the easiest, just pick your attack, then fake either high or low, and make your real attack around, or my preference, through his defense. Some blockers can be seduced with fakes.

For the jammer, you need to be most aware of your own vulnerabilities, so be prepared to, as in Wing Chun, to receive his counter-attack and do something with it. Once in range, your job is to counter his attacks and deliver your own. If both are equally matched, then this will result in repeated attacks and dispersion of the attacks, or in what I consider a "worst case" scenario, an exchange of blows, which makes it a crap shoot. (Remembering the condition of being "equally" matched.)

Good question. Fun to think about. Kenpo's a good art. I studied Kenpo from Sandy Sanderson back in the 1970s in Menlo Park, California.

Regards,
    Thanks John...

Well, the only person i've sparred is my instructor, and yes he is a jammer. As well as a major kicker. His front kick is so hard to get around.

thanks for all of that info, i will definately be putting it into practice.

- Where's my Mook?

If he is getting predicatable with it, you can scoop up that front kick and dump him on his butt. You can also wait for him to put his foot down, while circling, then dash in. Triangulation footwork is useful.

I enter sometimes with a front kick, but my favorite is two quick, short steps in and punch.

Thanks again

- Where's my Mook?

In case you didnt notice, the BEST answer was gievn by teazer

The easiest is to let your opponent do it for you. When they move forward to attack, rather than retreating, stay where you are, move to the flank or a little forward too.
    Let him do it for you. He moves, you intercept (close).