Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much of your style can be discarded and still be your style?

How much of your style can be discarded and still be your style?

What could you jetison from your style and still keep it as that style? How many forms, costumes, esoteric weapons and shrines, special training devices and any trappings could you toss and still preserve the principles, techniques and flavor?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

90 percent of mine could go.

I know for a fact that my teachers teacher didnt teach every thing he learned.....just the things he thought practical, and my teacher has left a lot by the way side from what i remember of the classes when i started over 14 odd years ago.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

well, you can't toss any of it and call it what it isn't anymore because part of it's gone.

it's ok to borrow and learn from other arts and use them in such a fashion that it can become an art form. Then it's really really your style.

principles are principles. they are universal and belong to no one. once you have embodied them, they are your principles and do not belong to a style or a system.

it's a fine line.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

My style, shotokan, is already so stripped down that you couldn't get rid of very much and expect it to remain "shotokan".
    K. Mark Hoover

Budokan, do you really need between 26 and 32 kata? Does every shotokan practitioner learn all 32?

well, you can't toss any of it and call it what it isn't anymore because part of it's gone.
    So if I study karate without a gi and while wearing shoes I'm no longer doing karate?

I think the thin line is between the core of the style and the trappings that surrounds it. On second thought it's a pretty thick line between the two.

it's ok to borrow and learn from other arts and use them in such a fashion that it can become an art form.
    KL, That's sort of what I was going to ask in a couple of days but since you brought it up. How much can you add to your style and still keep it recognizable?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Thumbs up

everything is useful

Maybe yes, maybe no, but that wasn't the question.

DM

the uniform is just clothes, jargon is just words.
    everything else could stay. just my opinion.

what would u strip from your style?

If I add boxing to my Ngor Chor, then it is no longer Ngor Chor but a mix of boxing and Ngor Chor. There may be common elements but there are also differences in philosophy etc. I can call this my personal style, but I cannot really call it Ngor Chor.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Red face F*ck it All. Or Most of It, At Least!

*Cracks knuckles* *slides into asbestos underpants*

Well, I'd get rid of the gis (the tops at least. the pants are super-nice to move in), the Japanese jargon (I can't pronounce it at all, and more to the point, if I were present with several Japanese or Okinawan students, there's no way in hell butchering a few words is going to convey my message. ESPECIALLY if they do not speak my language.), the punitive pushup crap (I'm not overly old, but I think I and most of the people over the age of 21 shouldn't do pushups if they speak "out of turn"). Ever'thing else could stay.

Hell, I'd even add bagwork, footwork drills, focus mitt drills, speed bag work, and a ****load of conditioning, weights, calesthenics.

The terminology I'd keep are: (for no **** good reason)

Dojo (sounds cool, denotes a Japanese or Okinawan based style).
    Kata (same as above)
    The Names of the Kata (see above the see above notice, plus they are ****ing terrible to translate. 'Specially those named after people.)

F*ck tradition, in my non-humble, obey-me-or-suck-ass-treats opinion. This is about growing as an artist, not ****ing up a different culture.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

"If I add boxing to my Ngor Chor, then it is no longer Ngor Chor but a mix of boxing and Ngor Chor. There may be common elements but there are also differences in philosophy etc. I can call this my personal style, but I cannot really call it Ngor Chor."
    : - joedoe

bread is bread and jam is jam, but if you spread jam on bread youre still eating bread with a jam flavour to it.
    likewise with ngo chor and boxing.

my thoughts.

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Since eveything in ones style is that style, whatever is left is still that style. And whatever you throw away is that style.~

General concept.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

From my TKD I'd get rid of the beginner kata and replace them with drills for upper body, lower body and footwork techniques. I'd dump the Asian terminolgy except where it conveys a certain idea or meaning. Any kata should reflect actual techniques that will be used in self defense or fighting. I like the pants of my gi, and the top is useful for clothing grab techniques.

Joedoe, some have the theory that Ngor Chor + karate, or Hsing-yi + karate = Isshinryu.

DM

Rogue;
    Why? I know didly about those, with the exception of Xingyi (I'm a two-book Black Sash, Bizzatch!).

Sounds cool.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

I think the link was between Motobu and a Hsing Yi guy named Tong Gee. Supposedly Shimabuku was studying with Motobu at this time. Could explain somethings about Isshinryu.

DM