Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Martial arts as an business

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    uki, you keep making us all revisit the past.
    you clicked by choice...errrr... pre-destination manifested as the experience of choice in this three dimensional body...
    This thread is so 7 and a half years ago.
    time is inconsequential.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    you clicked by choice...errrr... pre-destination manifested as the experience of choice in this three dimensional body...
    time is inconsequential.
    I clicked and THEN saw the date on this dead horse you dragged up for another beating.

Time is arbitrary, yes, though there is a definite something to it...

anyways, you're a bastard.

Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by uki View Post
    time is inconsequential.
    Actually... it is.

The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Actually... it is.

no wonder you have a desk job... the sight of you on the battlefield might offer some serious morale problems.

Not if I have THIS!
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

martial arts is not a business... only simple minded folks attempt to make money off of other simple minded folks by attempting to teach something as simple as martial arts.

So, how did you learn if you did at all. From watching martial arts movies? Making money whether it be good intentions or bad is based on the indivdual. And Martial arts is not simple....I have not posted on this form for a number of years. And when I orginally ask the question I was looking for insight instead of people that like taking shots. I mean if you learned martial arts and you pay a teacher to teach you what would you call it? Hello, a business. This is not even worth talking about anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownMantis View Post
    martial arts is not a business... only simple minded folks attempt to make money off of other simple minded folks by attempting to teach something as simple as martial arts.

So, how did you learn if you did at all. From watching martial arts movies? Making money whether it be good intentions or bad is based on the indivdual. And Martial arts is not simple....I have not posted on this form for a number of years. And when I orginally ask the question I was looking for insight instead of people that like taking shots. I mean if you learned martial arts and you pay a teacher to teach you what would you call it? Hello, a business. This is not even worth talking about anymore.
    hmmmn 7 years later...maybe it is good that uki revived this.

Martial arts teaching is a business in many ways. Many people run schools as NPO's though, but money is need to keep lights on, hvac, insurance etc.

Not to mention, why should anyone give their hard won lessons to you for nothing? You must be reciprocal in the relationship.

I think that what your skills are are what helps you to eat, drink, have shelter etc.

If you committed to the study and practice of kung fu and someone else wants that too, well, they have to offer something up don't they?

Or do you think martial arts teachers should all be starving artists? Distracted and stressed by their other job that sucks the life out of them with a commute and a headache?

If you can do what you love, do it with passion and share it with the correct intention, then that is worth a lot. That is a commodity.

You can't buy Kung fu, that's for sure. But you gotta ante up to get in the game and that's that.

do soldiers not get paid to train other soldiers? Do western boxing coaches not get payed for training fighters? Does your high school wrestling teacher get paid for his knowledge?

You better believe there is an aspect of business when someone wants something and someone else is willing to impart it.

It's fantasy to think all kung fu teachers are mr. miyagis. It's also dangerous to maintain that type of thinking.

Be more workaday in your approach to martial arts. I have NO problem with paying a good teacher for information and methods they have that I do not.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ChitownMantis View Post

Don't agree with you. You can earn money from your hobby by providing private classes or courses. Yes, you need investment into this business, and money can be an issue. BUT you can take pls cash loan and invest it at the very beginning, and afterwards payback it. So, it is a real business and model is working fine in our modern world mate