Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Martial arts as an business

how would you say it in cantonese joedoe?

Joedoe is Cantonese an standard in martials art because I have seen where there would be an english then an Cantonese translation for ,like the name of an move or form

Finally! My Truth is Realized.

Originally posted by ChitownMantis
    but I the definition of the martial arts impiles that how you cook you eggs in the morning is an martial art, oragamy( making those paper swans) would be an martial art.

And that I feel is the beauty of it
    **** Straight! The Art of Bacon no George Forman Grill!
    Bowl kun Total!
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Originally posted by ChitownMantis
    Joedoe is Cantonese an standard in martials art because I have seen where there would be an english then an Cantonese translation for ,like the name of an move or form
    Kung fu is closer to the Cantonese pronunciation of the term. Gong fu is closer to the Mandarin.

Cantonese is a widely used dialect in general, but especially so in many of the Southern arts. This is due largely to the fact that a lot of the arts in the west came via Hong Kong, where until 1999 Cantonese was the spoken dialect.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Thank you joedoe and yes vash I am an believer too.

Good Night to you all but if you have more input please give it at will

(ChitownMantis bowing out)

Re:Chitownmantis

What style have you studied?

D*mn, this is gonna be more fun than
    http://www.churchofspongebob.org
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

To learn to run a school got to The Martial Arts Industry Association http://www.masuccess.com/

Chitown Mantis,

Could you tell us a little more about your background? Styles studied (Mantis is a good guess), years of experience, etc.?

If you try to tackle martial arts as a business before first tackling it as a course of study, you're going to fall into the very trap that many martial arts businesses do. Charging people money for too much flash and not enough substance.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Once upon a time...
    A friend of mine purchased a shop in a mini-mall. He had a dream...the dream to rake in cash by teaching Martial Arts. Little did he know one must know a martial art, or at least know somebody who knows a martial art. When opening day came, he still didn't have a sifu/sensei, so he grabbed the first to low-life punks he could find. A beginner in BJJ and a guy who read the Tao of Jeet Kune Do. Very few people signed up because of its shaky ciriculum and lack of a base style. To make matters worse the two "teachers" had quite the attitude and started bitter rivalries with other ligitamate schools. The school closed two months later and the "teachers" never showed thier faces again.

Moral of this story:
    "Martial Arts is not made to be a cash cow, its an art. Treat it as such"
    Last edited by CaptinPickAxe; 09-15-2003 at 12:09 PM.

If you run your school primarily as a business venture, you may get lots of customers, but I wouldn't count on getting any students; but, then, I doubt if you care about that.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

don't want to sound mean, but i agree with MasterKiller(strongly). would this be your main source of income? if it is, is your curriculum hardcore? my shrfu has lost students because of an infamous shin conditioning drill that hurts a lot. but, you know, anything that's worth anything is not easy. plus, you should be a very accomplished martial artist if you want to start teaching.
    "If you practice praying mantis, women will like you."--Shi Zheng-Zhong

You'd make more $$ if you got into a different sport

Convert it to a health club. There's a lot more money in that. One of my buddies works at a Curves franchise. Now there's some long green.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

OK chitown, assuming that you are already a master of gong fu, my suggestion would be to take some straight-up business courses at your friendly college extension. Also, visit the SBA website for some basic business tools and a calendar of business events & cheap-as-free courses.

Learning business basics won't guarantee you riches, and it won't compromise your traditional training focus. It will keep the wolves (and the IRS) from your door when it comes to money management.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

(Chitownmantis bowing in)

Sorry if I have not chimed in on your theads but from what I see, there are alot of you assuming that I am bring this up because i want to rack in the dough.

1. If you think of running an business you would want it to be successful. (i.e the amount of revenue generated,customer base,the amount of profit generated over the months and years,etc)

2. Do don't right off assume that I have not studied the arts just because I ask this question. (Eventhough, I do understand that some people have an school and do not know the art they are teaching. And if you would have went to the link i post earlier on you would have gotten an different view on the matter)

3. I studied Northern Shaolin 7 star praying mantis, I am not an master ,nor do i think one can be an master. Only an highly devolped student. (in which, again the article on the site i post earlier would again give you insight)

4 I brought this up because I feel that I could get good feed back from senior students like you out their and with some of you I gotten pointless feedback. (Really sound like Charley brown's teacher, wa, wa, wa. wawa wa .wa)

5.And if you also read before I asked if any one know of an good school in jacksonville. I think that would have been an clue that I wasnt an master.( I dont believe that an so called master would be ask were an school would be)

But thank the ones who gave great feed back, Dark Knight,gene ching, sa mantis, captinpickaxe

Please let keeps it intellecual, not sinical. If you have some great info to give, constructive feedback, i would be honored. If not, just don't say anything. Let's give this discussion the true spirit of what martial arts is. But in all I thank everyone for their input.

(ChitownMantis bows to all)