Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Martial arts as an business

3. I studied Northern Shaolin 7 star praying mantis, I am not an master ,nor do i think one can be an master. Only an highly devolped student. (in which, again the article on the site i post earlier would again give you insight)

IMO You should train more and become better in your art. Not open up a school of your own. That's just disrespectful in my eyes.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

kristoffer you dont listen well do you?

1. I said in my future plans.

2.I am look for input

3. I am look for good input for senior students

If that is not you , shut your cake hole!!!

and again I have that same problem with you you before read it all the way thru so you can u.n.d.e.r.s.t.a.n.d.

Thank you

Thumbs down

Your not a master?
    You don't think you'll ever be a master?

Hmmm... Yeah I'd really wanna train with you What are you gonna teach? How to tie your shoes? I'm sorry that you can't take criticism.. I wasn't planning to bash you, nor flame you in pety arguments but you come of sounding very naive, and very ignorant. Many here have already given you hints but you obviously don't care to listen, only here what you wanna here. It sounds like you have made up your mind already so why are you pesting these boards with this novice money hungry crap?
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

ChitownMantis.

Not to rain on your parade here, but you come here and ask the exat question that we criticise flakes, frauds and mcdojos for.

And than when you don't get the answer that you like you tell people to shut their cake-holes and to get lost.

As far as I am concerned till you got permission from your Sifu you ain't got NO business about even thinking open your own school.
    Unless you are breaking away from the styles you studied to teach your OWN style which is based on YOUR experience and studies.
    Of course you can't claim to be teaching style/s that you ain't qualified to teach.

Being a good MA does not mean that you will be a good teacher.
    Being a good teacher/MA does not mean that you will be a successful businessman or Kwoon owner.

I know many a Sifu that started their own kwoon only to have a handful of students for the first few years and teaching from community hall or similar because they could not afford their own property.

Just some thoughts.
    Witty signature under construction.

The both of you are very rude and I hope that I never get to the point were my arrogance out weights my knowledge of the arts.

Thats why I try not to come to boards because I cant learn or carry on an intellectual conv because of a-holes like you.

Excuse the misspells and type-o's

if you take the time to listen you would be better off

Originally posted by ChitownMantis
    The both of you are very rude and I hope that I never get to the point were my arrogance out weights my knowledge of the arts.

Thats why I try not to come to boards because I cant learn or carry on an intellectual conv because of a-holes like you.

Excuse the misspells and type-o's
    You can call me names and rude, it sure as hell won't get you anymore respect from me or other people reading your posts.

You don't want to come online, fine by me.
    But maybe the problem is with your attitude and not the MA that you meet online.

Maybe when you have spend 20+yrs on MA studies like the guys you call a-holes & rude and some of those are kwoon owners and teachers your viewpoint will change a bit.

Till you got teaching permission you better spend your energy on perfecting your skill and less about thinking of your own school.

Have a good day.
    Last edited by Laughing Cow; 09-18-2003 at 05:35 AM.
    Witty signature under construction.

ChitownMantis,

It's clear that you haven't liked many of the answers you've gotten so far. Mine included by the sounds of it. But I think you'd benefit from hearing your own advice. Listen and understand.

Telling people to shut their cakeholes is the wrong direction to head in. You should know better.

Originally posted by ChitownMantis
    (Chitownmantis bowing in)
    This is a personal thing, but that's really not necessary. I'll assume you're being respectful based on the tone of your messages. Not this ritual. And typing that you're bowing to people then going on to tell them to shut their cakeholes (even if it is in a subsequent post) is just daft.

Sorry if I have not chimed in on your theads but from what I see, there are alot of you assuming that I am bring this up because i want to rack in the dough.
    Personally, I don't think it matters. Obviously, I don't want to attend a school where the teacher is obsessed with making cash, regardless of his excellence at his art. But by the same token, I don't want to attend a school where the teacher isn't experienced enough to teach, regardless of how pure his motives are.

I may have missed it, but I'm going to ask again. What's your experience so far? If you're planning on running a business in the future, power to you. I'd give you any advice if I were a successful business owner myself. But I can advise you a little on being a teacher. Have enough experience to be confident with 1) what you know and 2) what you DON'T know. If you get into it too early, you're likely to fall into all sorts of traps in order to preserve your own sense of teaching authority.

1. If you think of running an business you would want it to be successful. (i.e the amount of revenue generated,customer base,the amount of profit generated over the months and years,etc)
    Absolutely. And I'm glad to hear that you're going to take that aspect seriously. Nothing worse than finding a school you like that just can't stay afloat.

2. Do don't right off assume that I have not studied the arts just because I ask this question. (Eventhough, I do understand that some people have an school and do not know the art they are teaching. And if you would have went to the link i post earlier on you would have gotten an different view on the matter)
    Or you could just answer the question and tell us your experience. I believe I checked your profile yesterday and found nothing. If I'm mistaken about that, I apologize.

3. I studied Northern Shaolin 7 star praying mantis, I am not an master ,nor do i think one can be an master. Only an highly devolped student. (in which, again the article on the site i post earlier would again give you insight)
    How highly developed a student are you? How long have you trained?

4 I brought this up because I feel that I could get good feed back from senior students like you out their and with some of you I gotten pointless feedback. (Really sound like Charley brown's teacher, wa, wa, wa. wawa wa .wa)
    There's a fair amount of cynicism on this board. But I feel like perhaps you just didn't hear what you wanted to hear. You wanted to hear unwavering support. And you didn't get it. So you've decided that there's no merit to these comments.

5.And if you also read before I asked if any one know of an good school in jacksonville. I think that would have been an clue that I wasnt an master.( I dont believe that an so called master would be ask were an school would be)
    People read and understood that. That's what lead us to believe that your primary focus at the moment should be your own education. Not other peoples'.

But thank the ones who gave great feed back, Dark Knight,gene ching, sa mantis, captinpickaxe

Please let keeps it intellecual, not sinical. If you have some great info to give, constructive feedback, i would be honored. If not, just don't say anything. Let's give this discussion the true spirit of what martial arts is. But in all I thank everyone for their input.
    Perhaps people are overly cynical, but it generally stems from a love of martial arts, just like your actions do. People hate seeing them b*stardized. So sometimes we overreact. But I think you should be careful not to dismiss the advice here too quickly. Even the advice you don't like.

(ChitownMantis bows to all)
    Write with respect. Bag the rituals. My opinion.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Thumbs down

i dont see why any respectable sifu should give you any percentage of thier hard earned money for doing nothing.
    you make me want to puke mantis.

Mantis guy:

Well thank you for the feedback apoweyn.

I understand what you are saying and if I was rude myself I am sorry but I dont like when peoples focus is just rude and not giving knowledge like I hoped I would get here.

And if I had 10 years or 10 months of train respect should be warrented. Thats one of the things that I love about the arts.

My training in an actual school 5 months , outside of that 2years. But between school and other things didnt have the time to train in an gym.

But I have possible future plans to do this and the first thread explains that ,so that why i said people are not listening. Yes I am still an novice as far as the arts are concerned that way I raised the question of martial art in an business sence.

I am not getting angry because of the answers, its because I have stated my position and people assume I am this snake that is not look for knowledge. If i am going about the wrong way just let me know. I dont need the negativity

ChitownMantis,

Well thank you for the feedback apoweyn.

I understand what you are saying and if I was rude myself I am sorry but I dont like when peoples focus is just rude and not giving knowledge like I hoped I would get here.
    Well, I apologize too. People are a bit cynical here. Regrettably, they have good cause.

Two years is obviously too little time to start teaching. Five months certainly is. But I understand that you're not talking about teaching now. But in the future. And as long as that's your focus, then I applaud you thinking in advance like this. If you're serious, then dedicating yourself to martial arts training (obviously) and a solid business background is a really good plan.

People worry, though, that overenthusiastic beginners will skimp on their own education to start teaching other people. Regardless of the motivation (money, respect, or even just a love of martial arts), ready is ready.

You've got a long time before you'll be prepared to teach. I'd been training for about 10 years before I was ready to teach (though I started teaching before that, which was a mistake). And about 15 before I was actually good at it. (And my skill as a teacher even now is up for debate.)

So for now, perhaps you should concentrate on getting into a legitimate school. Not one that'll get you promoted the fastest. But one that will give you a good, solid skill base. Work your way through their ranks (and I don't necessarily mean their belt ranks). And perhaps become an assistant instructor. A lot of being a good teacher is being a bad teacher first. Being an assistant will give you a chance to hammer out some of the rough edges under the eye of someone more experienced than you. That'll be stressful, but invaluable.

And if I had 10 years or 10 months of train respect should be warrented. Thats one of the things that I love about the arts.
    True. But that's not particular to the arts. It'd be nice if respecting other people were our default in most situations. But realistically, respect has to be earned. As for KFO, stick around, make your points, defend your points intelligently and earnestly, and it won't be long before you'll have your respect. Dig?

My training in an actual school 5 months , outside of that 2years. But between school and other things didnt have the time to train in an gym.
    I can understand that. Married, working full time, working on getting back into school. There are lots of reasons not to be training properly. But they'll all need to be resolved if you plan on teaching for a living. As a teacher, you'll be selling yourself. And you'll need to have confidence in your product. That confidence can only rightfully come from experience.

But I have possible future plans to do this and the first thread explains that ,so that why i said people are not listening. Yes I am still an novice as far as the arts are concerned that way I raised the question of martial art in an business sence.
    If you feel people aren't listening, don't lose your cool. Just restate your point. Build on it. Help them understand. It'll be good practice for teaching.

I am not getting angry because of the answers, its because I have stated my position and people assume I am this snake that is not look for knowledge. If i am going about the wrong way just let me know. I dont need the negativity
    State your position again. And again if needs be. Defend your position. You're right that you shouldn't be attacked right from the get go. But reality is what it is. And you're going to need to learn how to deal with it. Convince us that you're serious. Pretty much everyone here has, at one time or another, had to defend their own statements, actions, etc.

The people here can be harsh sometimes (myself included). But you can benefit from the hazing. People here will force you to think about what you're saying. And generally, that's a good thing.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Thank you! apoweyn. That's that knowledge I was look for, thank you.

And as far as schools I am in Jacksonville and that only school I see that seem cool is an school that teach Tai chi chen style.

Kam Lee Chinese Arts Center(http://www.chineseartscenter.com/klcac)

If you know anyone that has any info on this school or the sifu I would be thankful.

martial arts is not a business... only simple minded folks attempt to make money off of other simple minded folks by attempting to teach something as simple as martial arts.

uki, you keep making us all revisit the past.

This thread is so 7 and a half years ago.

Kung Fu is good for you.