Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boxing without gloves

Boxing without gloves

Boxers train and fight with gloves on, and by now we've all learned that this is to protect the hand, and not the other guy's face.

So say someone is pretty good at boxing, but then they get in a fight on the street and someone throws a punch at them. How do boxing style blocks work without gloves on? I see boxers using the padding on their gloves to stop punches. Would that work without gloves on? Getting hit in the back of the fist hurts like freaking hell and there's no way I would ever try to stop a punch like that.

So how do they do it?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

They hit first. The other guy can't hit back. Just a guess.

Chances are that two trained boxers won't meet on the street and one of the guy would probably employ less disciplined punches and not the jab combinations we see trained boxers throw. Thus, they wouldn't have to block the punch in the same manner.

BTW, I saw "Rocky" Juarez knock another fighter cold with a left hook 26 seconds into the first round of their fight this weekend. I know everyone says that the gloves protect the hands and not the other person, but I think that is only partially true. I couldn't imagine how much damage that punch would have done without gloves (to the guy's head, not Rocky's hand).
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I can tell you right now, Boxing gloves feel much better on the face than an unprotected punch. It does protect the hands, but depending on how heavy the gloves are, they can soften blows as well.

Boxing gloves do primarily protect the other guy's face.

Smaller, light-weight sparring gloves are used to protect you hands.

So how do they do it?
    Well, that's the inherent flaw in Western Boxing. It produces some hellafide ring fighters, but it has weaknesses, just like any other style, especially those that train primarily to compete within the confines of certain rules and equipment limitations.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 09-15-2003 at 11:53 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Ideally, the backs of the gloves is not a boxing defense. When people get tired, it happens. But ideally, defense consists of slipping, weaving, etc. In which case, gloves won't really be an issue.

Personally, without gloves, that sort of covering up usually involves me putting my elbow or forearm in the line of fire at an angle where things will glance off rather than hit straight on.

I've started hitting the heavy bag with palms now as well, rather than closed fists. For that very reason.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

I would go with the slip and punch compared to a boxer attempting a static block unless that was the only option at the time. Old bare knuckle taught methods of deflection/covering with the outside of the forearm, elbow, upper arm and shoulder.

Mendoza's guard is a good place for elbow sheilds to guard against an incoming strike. As is a standard guard for body shots. Jack Johnson used a jujitsu style cross guard from which he would use limb destructions on incoming blows, chops to the biceps, shots to the back of the hand.

IMO boxings best defense is its offense movement coupled with its slipping, ducking, and nimble footwork to decrease the chance of getting tagged while attacking. If they get tagged they also may have the backup of shedding to lessen any force the blow may of had behind it. Something a full time boxer may of picked up in all that darn sparring.

Cheers
    Regards

IMO I would think boxers would protect themselves from punches with their forearms. Even without padding, the forearms can take quite a descent amount of damage before showing any type of bruising. The structure the forearm bones-radius and alna-with the forearm muscles make it virtually impossible to be broken with a straight on jab or straight punch.

So block with the forearms and counter, but most boxers usually end up messing up their wrists or break their knuckles. The handwraps usually eliminate the problem of wrist alignment, so their wrists usually move around in a "street" fight and sometimes they break the hand going for a punch in the jaw.
    "Don't Focus on the Fingers or You will miss all the Heavenly Glory!"

Morbicid-"Maybe some moves are made just so that, if u somehow manage to pull them off in a fight, u get some serious bragging rights.

Many famous fighters have done this (roy jones jr, chuck norris, Morbicid, etc)"

This thread wasn't supposed to be about the purpose of boxing gloves. It was supposed to be about how boxers block when they're not wearing gloves.

Ok I'll break it down more.

How would a boxer, without gloves, block the following punches:

1. jab
    2. cross
    3. hook
    4. uppercut
    5. overhand (or whatever it's called)

Block, don't say slip, bob, or weave.

I don't think he would block; I think he would slip, bob, or weave.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    I don't think he would block; I think he would slip, bob, or weave.
    Exactly. What are we supposed to say?!

Boxers might absorb (roll with) an uppercut, simply because you can't bob and weave body shots. But everything else, slipping and weaving.

You could shield against a hook. But preferable to weave it instead. Shielding a hook still involves taking a lot of cranial impact compared with weaving.

Stuart B.
    Last edited by apoweyn; 09-15-2003 at 01:06 PM.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

pretty much yeah.

its like asking how would a tkd practicioner use his feet in a fight.

dont say kick or move around.

IMO I would think boxers would protect themselves from punches with their forearms
    As a guy who trains with and with out gloves I can say that what lets you hide behind your gloves/forearms and not get hit is not your gloves but the thinkness of the other guys gloves noy being able to get between your arms. This is obviously much less use with out gloves.

On the issue of gloves protecting the hands and not the face. reading books by bear knuckle fighters it is clear that broken hands are very common to say the least.
    The film of bare knuckle fighting (gypsies) that I have seen looks like boxing but with a great reluctance to throw punches...but when punches start the fight ends very fast. I think that gloves make a fight last much longer and provide a better show than bare fist. In the longer term fighting with gloves on has to do more damage as the fighters get hit more!

Ironfist, if you do a search you will find lots of info about the changing face of boxing on this forum.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

IF: just standard responses, remember how much context and energy play a role in everything:

1. jab
    2. cross
    3. hook
    4. uppercut
    5. overhand (or whatever it's called)

1) Catch, check, or slip
    2) slip, or check
    3) bob and weave, or some other way of moving out of the way.
    4) block with elbows, generally keeping your lines covered.
    5) same as cross

most of the time just move your feet when he moves his hands, and you will be out of most danger until you advance to the great art of setting people up and of course the art of mobility.

you can also counter-attack as defense, jab or lead hook, most often.

strike!