Thread: Running...Boxer style??

Running...Boxer style??

I talked to one of my Muay Thai buddies, and he showed me a very particular style of running. He would run on the balls of his feet, and never have the soles of feet touch the ground, while pushing with his toes for thrust. It helps create thrust and calf power in your legs, which are suppose to help weight shifting and dashing.

I tried this for about 2 days now, running alittle over 2 miles each time. And I would always come home with alot of pain on my ankles, am I confusing ankle pain with shin splints..cause my calfs are on fire when I come home also.

Anybody ever try anything like this, or do you think this is just a dumb way of running...?
    "Don't Focus on the Fingers or You will miss all the Heavenly Glory!"

Morbicid-"Maybe some moves are made just so that, if u somehow manage to pull them off in a fight, u get some serious bragging rights.

Many famous fighters have done this (roy jones jr, chuck norris, Morbicid, etc)"

That's part of correct form for sprinting. It seems like you could cause some damage to your ankle, foot, and knees by sustaining that type of gait. Long distance running is supposed to be a heel-toe gait.

I have heard you are supposed to run that way as it gives you less wasted energy..something about landing heel first taking energy away from the movement or having a braking effect...Hope that helps.
    -Golden Arms-

This is how I run.

I dont know where my teacher picked it up from, but Ive never expierenced any negative effects. I dont run often, anymore tho, so Im not sure.

After running like this regularly for a couple months my leg speed like trippled.

You might go on some thai forums or websites and see what they say. www.defend.net is one, and try a search for Lanna Muay Thai.

strike!

How long of a distance did you run for yenhoi?
    So sprinting style running isnt meant for long distances rite?

Morbicid-"Maybe some moves are made just so that, if u somehow manage to pull them off in a fight, u get some serious bragging rights.

Many famous fighters have done this (roy jones jr, chuck norris, Morbicid, etc)"

I have heard you are supposed to run that way as it gives you less wasted energy..something about landing heel first taking energy away from the movement or having a braking effect...Hope that helps.
    That is correct for sprinting but incorrect for long distance running. Long distance runners actually land on the heel, roll over the outside of their foot to their toe. There are numerous rescources available about training for different events like this in bookstores and online. Not a single track and field coach or competitive long distance runner will have any sustained run done on the toes. That alone should tell you something.

So sprinting style running isnt meant for long distances rite?
    Correct. For calve power and exposive devopment try running wind sprints and jumping rope. I can list a beginner sprint routine if you like.

BTW, many people with flat-feet/no arches are unable to run in a heel-toe way.

I already jump rope, but what are wind sprints?

Wind sprints is just sprinting done in a fashion to build endurance. If you've ever played competitive basketball, then you are familiar with suicides which is a form of wind spint. Basically, you sprint a short a distance (say 50-100 meters) rest a short time, sprint again, rest, repeat.

Since the the distances are short and the speed quick, you are building up your explosive speed. Also, since you are doing a lot of sprints with short rest, you are working on building your anaerobic threshhold (part of endurance) which is something that long distance running can't do. Similar to the endurance to flutter on a heavy bag for a round.

A program which I am rather fond of and just posted on another thread is as follows:

Rest 90 seconds between sprint sets & walk 20 yards after each individual sprint:

50m, 50m, 50m
    50m, 50mx2, 50m
    50x2, 50, 50x2
    50, 50, 50x2
    50, 50, 50

This should be taxing enough at first. To vary intesnity you can change the distance to anything between 50 and 100 meters and shorten rest periods to as short at 45 seconds. I'd recommend starting with the above for a bit first to acclimate to it. BTW, because of the energy system being used, these are great for shedding fat as well.

When i was 'taught' this way, we ran a couple miles in the morning, and a couple miles in the evening, for about a month.

I wouldent suggest that sort of thing long term. Now I do sprints and jumping rope and 0 long distance anything of any kind.

strike!

ooo now I remember...

Like running from half court to full court and stuff, right?

Brings back memories of my high school basketball days.

Those would be them!

I agree with Ford. If you're running for sustained periods/distance, it's suggested that you run heel-to-toe.
    Striking with your heel and rolling to the ball of your foot for the next push-off absorbs/dissipates the shock and pounding of running best, and when you consider that every mile = 1000's of strikes over the long term you may want to be good to yourself. It's also supposed to be the most energy efficient way to stride.
    Running the way you're mentioning would be good for explosive power, but I'd bet that it would eventually catch up to you with injuries...Ford's way of breaking up those sprints sounds like a good plan to me.

One common way to work explosiveness while also running for distance, that I've heard recommended, is to add all-out sprints for short spurts in the midst of your longer run. For you're basic pace you'd run heel-to-toe, and just switch to running on the balls of your feet for your sprints.
    Keep it simple, stupid.

Hey Rad,

I forgot about that. When I was boxing we used to do that all the time on team runs. I'd either do it or pick somebody to do it (since I was captain and led the runs). "Hey Jim. You see that red house up there? Sprint to it and back to us."