Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: paulie zink and the tai shing pek kwar family conflict

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    do you have fetal alcohol syndrome, this is nothing impressive.
    Yes I do, you callous #%$tard! Though I had finally gotten past it after decades of painful psychotherapy until you brought it up again! Thanks a lot, Bawang!
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Quote Originally Posted by Miqi View Post
    Pretending to have a mythical teacher is nothing new - it's probably just a way of getting round the prejudice against innovation, and the ancestor worship, that cripples the development of wushu. I often wonder if Wang Xiang Zhai's legendary teacher Mad Man Xie was just Wang himself.
    If only we could do away with ancestor worship, then we could make more and fancier forms, CMA could blossom like a great flower!
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

wgeelai,

you state: "Everyone under Lum Jo should have Pek Kwar Doe and Kuan Lan Gim,
    but only Sifu Y. C. Wong lineage has Pek Kwar Yat Lo, Yee Lo and Sam Lo. Sifu YC Wong also learned a stick set that he no longer teaches that came from Kan Dak Hoi. "

Is Pek Kwar Yat Lo, Yee Lo and Sam Lo open hand sets or weapon forms? Thank you.

Those are hand forms.

Quote Originally Posted by LaterthanNever View Post
    wgeelai,

you state: "Everyone under Lum Jo should have Pek Kwar Doe and Kuan Lan Gim,
    but only Sifu Y. C. Wong lineage has Pek Kwar Yat Lo, Yee Lo and Sam Lo. Sifu YC Wong also learned a stick set that he no longer teaches that came from Kan Dak Hoi. "

Is Pek Kwar Yat Lo, Yee Lo and Sam Lo open hand sets or weapon forms? Thank you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTuGLxjTbqA
    Although the changes are infinite, the principles are the same.
    - Wang Tsung Yueh

To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.
    - Sun Tzu

Boards don't hit back.
    - Bruce Lee

Thaks for the input. Does GM YC Wong still teach these monkey sets in the curriculum at his school?

Quote Originally Posted by LaterthanNever View Post
    Thaks for the input. Does GM YC Wong still teach these monkey sets in the curriculum at his school?
    They are not monkey sets.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    They are not monkey sets.
    This...they are not monkey set (tai shing) but pek kwar (axe fist) sets. Remember tai shing pek kwar is a combination if styles with the majority coming from pek kwar and only 5 monkey hand sets and monkey staff.

"This...they are not monkey set (tai shing) but pek kwar (axe fist) sets. Remember tai shing pek kwar is a combination if styles with the majority coming from pek kwar and only 5 monkey hand sets and monkey staff. "

Hmm..Well first off..I'm enjoying this conversation gentleman. Thank you

Second..my romanization is not the best. So does "pek kwar"= Pi Kwa?(ax hitch boxing) I believe Master Su Yu Chang of NYC teaches Pi Kwa in addition to Ba Ji Chuen.

Lastly, does ANYONE in the USA teach the original 5 monkey sets?(besides Zink, Matsuda and anyone certified under them). In another, words..am I to understand that with the exception of Hong Kong and Canda, that there is not even *one* individual who was given the seal of approval to teach by GM Chan Sau Chung?

If so..thats...um, well..I just don't like it!! LOL

I believe pek kwar and pigua are indeed the same. That is how CSC's people spell it. From what I have seen of their pek kwar it appears much different from the pigua I have seen albeit from YouTube from China. Perhaps it's the southerners version of it. I also think several of CSC's students know the monkey sets but possibly not all which like you said would not be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tao Of The Fist View Post
    Probably completely authentic in terms of lineage, but not in the same league, or even close to it, as Paulie Zink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTuGLxjTbqA

This is REAL pek gwa, YC Wong learned these sets directly from Gan Duk Hoi

Pek Gwa is Cantonse, Pi Gua is Mandarin, same system

It is a northern system, Dai Sing Pek Gwa is a northern system, it just ended up in HK

Zink is crap, if you can't see that, well, that says a lot
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Probably completely authentic in terms of lineage, but not in the same league, or even close to it, as Paulie Zink.
    They are authentic. Someone wanted to know if Pek Gwa Yat Lo, Pek Gwa Yee Lo, and Pek Gwa Sam Lo were hand forms or weapons sets. I posted the link to show they were hand forms. And they are authentic in relation to Dai Sing Pek Gwa Mun (Dashengpiguamen), as Mr. Ross just pointed out.

It's not monkey, it's Piguaquan, which is the foundational training for learning the Dasheng part of the system later on. It's not about acrobatics or imitation, like Paulie Zink's stuff. It's about generating whipping power and is a very Northern style.

LaterThanNever, Piguamen is a big system and there are lots of variations. Su Yu Chang teaches the piguazhang from the combined Baji/Pigua system of Liu Yunqiao and Li Shuwen. I don't know about their pigua so I can't comment on it.
    Last edited by Tao Of The Fist; 10-13-2013 at 10:36 PM. Reason: details
    Although the changes are infinite, the principles are the same.
    - Wang Tsung Yueh

To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill.
    - Sun Tzu

Boards don't hit back.
    - Bruce Lee

LOL

dgdfgdfgdhg

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    Remember tai shing pek kwar is a combination if styles with the majority coming from pek kwar and only 5 monkey hand sets and monkey staff.
    Taishing Pekkwar is a bloated system of a few Pekkwar hand and weapon sets, five monkey sets and perhaps monkey staff and almost 100 other sets from various styles.

A student of mine, who teaches Hung Gar, Northern Shaolin and Shuai Chiao went up to Canada and trained with CSC. He was told that he would have to learn about 100 forms BEFORE learning any of the monkey forms.

I may be wrong, someone please correct me if I am, but I believe that Chan's son is the only one allowed to teach the five monkey sets. However, the last I heard his son quit teaching after his marriage.

Has Chow Keung learned more than the Lost Monkey set? The Lost Monkey set is the only one I have ever seen demonstrated publicly by CSC or CK.

Perhaps its about time to kiss this system goodbye! Then Zink and Matsuda's version will be all that is left. For good, or for bad.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 10-14-2013 at 01:04 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!