Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: paulie zink and the tai shing pek kwar family conflict

I think this was resolved some time ago by Chan Sau Chung and his TSPK International group. They more or less exposed the person in question for what they really were and disavowed any association with their style and lineage and went on to demonstrate that what Zink was teaching was in fact not TSPK at all and wasn't even really like it esthetically either.

What usually happens in the USA and the west in general is the presumption, and often rightly so that people are uninformed, simple and forgetful and so these old rubes from whatever subject get dragged out when there is a perception that the smoke has cleared.

Trouble is, the INTERNET never forgets!!! Ever! lol You can't just take something off the internet.

Zink is indeed a fraud by all measures and by all accounts. I don't feel sorry for him, he made his bed and now he has to sleep in it. And that's the price you pay for self absorbed egotism.

PS, I don't think much of frauds either. I've seen a few and encountered a few. It's horrible when you waste time with them in your own cluttered darkness trying to validate yourself in the soup. That's probably the worst feeling ever.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by soulfist View Post
    The whole controversy is just a big mess though, done poorly on both sides! Chan Sau Chung tried to contact Zink before to discuss this matter, but he did it very aggressively in a demanding manner. Justified or not, his approach didnt help things. On the other side, Zink just clammed up and said nothing. He could have avoided it all with open communication with Chan Sau Chung on whatever level. Neither played it diplomatically and the mess is all that is left, too bad!
    I read a story somewhere that master Chan Sau Chung had a quick temper. I think it was a story on his old Vancouver website where he told of being at a kung fu competition and him noticing a huge like 6'5'' brotha smiling at him like he was so funny. So Chan Sau Chung approached the man and extended his hand to shake, and when the brotha grasped his hand, Chan Sau Chung proceeded to squeeze until the man was on his knees crying. Quite an impressive story of master Chan Sau Chung's power, though he may have the same ego problem as Bruce did. Either way, Chan Sau Chung's a true master, which Bruce wasn't. Anyway....

@ David,

Granted. My intention wasn't to ignite the whole "is zink the real deal or not" debate. Rather, I'm just curious to know what Zinks' supposed teacher was mentioned as a direct disciple of the late Gan Dak Hoi but not Chan Sau Chung? Please understand, it's not a judgement against the issue of the mag(it may be my favorite issue of kung fu/tai chi magazine ever!).

Plus, why does almost every internet search lead to the past article in kung fu/tai chi magazine..but there doesn't seen another way to contact Grandmaster Chung?

Gene? Can you weigh in on this please? Thank you.

LTN

"The whole controversy is just a big mess though, done poorly on both sides! Chan Sau Chung tried to contact Zink before to discuss this matter, but he did it very aggressively in a demanding manner. Justified or not, his approach didnt help things. On the other side, Zink just clammed up and said nothing. He could have avoided it all with open communication with Chan Sau Chung on whatever level. Neither played it diplomatically and the mess is all that is left, too bad! "

I was talking to a disciple of Grandmaster Chen Xiao Wang recently. We were discussing an even of noted friction between a high levl instructor of a well known kung fu style here where I live and a famed master in another style(both teach in the same city). The first master who felt slighted, we both concur acted intolerant, irrational and not willing to settle the dispute in a logical manner. The traditional chinese way of wanting to 'save face" was not displayed. We both feel that this invididual in trying to let his ego and temper articulate his opinion, lost a great deal of face.

"I read a story somewhere that master Chan Sau Chung had a quick temper. I think it was a story on his old Vancouver website where he told of being at a kung fu competition and him noticing a huge like 6'5'' brotha smiling at him like he was so funny. So Chan Sau Chung approached the man and extended his hand to shake, and when the brotha grasped his hand, Chan Sau Chung proceeded to squeeze until the man was on his knees crying. Quite an impressive story of master Chan Sau Chung's power, though he may have the same ego problem as Bruce did. Either way, Chan Sau Chung's a true master, which Bruce wasn't. Anyway.... "

See above
    Last edited by LaterthanNever; 08-22-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: content

I don't think Chan Sifu teaches anymore but he might do some private stuff. He has students around Hong Kong that you can learn from though.

I would highly recommend Sifu Chow Keung, his skills are top notch.

"I would highly recommend Sifu Chow Keung, his skills are top notch"

Noted..thanks. Is Sifu Chow Keung in Hong Kong? Vancouver? The USA?

He is located in Hong Kong.

Blog Entries
    Since it appears zink and matsuda teach something different than tspk. How does the zink and matsuda's style compare? Is it effective? Is it worth learning?

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi warrior View Post
    Since it appears zink and matsuda teach something different than tspk. How does the zink and matsuda's style compare? Is it effective? Is it worth learning?
    I would say no.
    It was begun under a false pretense.

I also think that Cho Chat Ling is an artificial character created and then stuck into the lineage chart and the TSPK international group pointed out there was no student named Cho Chat Ling under Ken Tak Hoi.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I wonder what YC Wong has to say about it? altohugh he si hung kuen he also did some TSPK

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T England View Post
    I wonder what YC Wong has to say about it? altohugh he si hung kuen he also did some TSPK
    Years ago YC Wong and Paulie Zink went to visit Master Lam Jo together, so they certainly know each other.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Isn't TSPK a northern system?

Yes but I believe Kan Dak Hoi lived with Lam Jo for a while which is why hung gar has some of the pek kwar sets. The TSPK people I know have mentioned the others do the sets a bit different which really isn't much of a surprise.

"Yes but I believe Kan Dak Hoi lived with Lam Jo for a while which is why hung gar has some of the pek kwar sets"

Oh? Very, very interesting! Can I ask which Hung Ga forms are also TSPK sets?

I do know there are some ancillary forms. Bung Bu(the crushing step) from Mantis is one such example..

I don't think they incorporated hung gar sets into TSPK. Can't say for certain but I never heard that.

Sorry..

I meant which TSPK forms are in Hung Ga..not the other way around. Thanks