Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT: Lets see how many answer this correctly.

IB & Ben.

I don't think that ethnicity really can be used as an accurate measure.

My Son is eurasian and grows up in asia. So what is his ethnicity, or would it change if he grows up in europe?

In my own family we defiantely have non-european white blood in it as well as some roma blood.
    We traced the Family-tree back to 1134.

As for wanting to move to england, if the food wold improve maybe.

Seeya.
    Witty signature under construction.

Last edited by turbo76; 06-02-2004 at 01:04 PM.

Panthera Leo... posing as human...

otherwise i have no clue.

Design sifu-

That was exactly my point; outdated terms and categorizations.
    Last edited by TIger Hand; 09-18-2003 at 02:17 PM.

I thought the Irish were primarily of Celtic stock ( a non-Germanic tribe) and the British were primarily of Anglo-Saxon stock (a blend of Germanic tribes). Of course there was extensive breeding between both groups and a fair share of blood from other regions (Nordic), but I can't see how they are the same.

Not wanting to start a fight, but just confused
    Last edited by Stranger; 09-18-2003 at 03:18 PM.
    Monkey vs. Robot

wtf is a "Lapplander?"
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Originally posted by TIger Hand
    Design sifu-

That was exactly my point; outdated terms and categorizations.
    Maybe outdated, but still widely used.

Back home we can still say negroid and similar without having to look over our shoulders for the PC-police.

Point of the thread is that what most people consider race or racial group they belong to is meaningless and race or nationality these days mean very little.

Most of the times when you ask people about their race they will answer with their nationality or ethnic group that is prevalent where they live, even though they might not be part of it.

I am caucasian for a varity of reasons my ancestors(most of them) came from the caucus region.

My Wife is mongoloid as her country was invaded by them and they became the dominant group nearly wiping out the original inhabitants.

BTW, how is saying african-american less discriminating than using some "outdated" words.

Seeya.
    Last edited by Laughing Cow; 09-18-2003 at 04:14 PM.
    Witty signature under construction.

Lappland is the norten part of Sweden. There lives the native 'indians/tribe/people/' called samer. I think lapplanders are an english name for them but I could be wrong
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

I thought the Irish were primarily of Celtic stock ( a non-Germanic tribe) and the British were primarily of Anglo-Saxon stock (a blend of Germanic tribes). Of course there was extensive breeding between both groups and a fair share of blood from other regions (Nordic), but I can't see how they are the same.

It dont matter what the British are genetically now as long as we keep letting in more imigrants (per year) than we are having births (per year including all natralised and non natralised births).
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    me?

out of shape bull terrier with a chow-chow attitude
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

Stranger, The Celts used to rule all of Britain prior to the Roman conquest. White British is a fusion of ancient briton (Beaker etc),Celt,Roman,Anglo-Saxon,Danish and Norman.
    Also remeber that Ireland has had influxes of population from Britain over the Centuries, as well as the other way. Indeed, Scotland is named after the Pre-Celtic Irish tribe that settled there.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Ben I think in terms of the Roman invasion it had more of an influence on culture that genetics. Ie Like Britain owned India, if you look at India now there ain't been no real influence in the gene pool. The same with the Normans, the British nobility is Norman orign but the rest of the English are Anglo-saxon, but also as you rightly put it of Danish stock as well, I remember watching a TV prog about how there is a lot of Danish genes in the UK's population. Ineteresting thread

Internal, I think it would be highly inaccurate to describe just the british aristocracy as being Norman (especially as half of them are German!). Remember, the Normans came here in their thousands and stayed here. Knights, nobles,footsoldiers,clergy,craftsmen,cooks and servants. Our language is highly Influenced by theirs etc. Also remember that the last vestiges of Normandom were forced to leave France for England during the Hundred years war.
    Again with the Romans. The Romans were here for nearly 400 years. They built towns, roads, waterways (walls). They were here in force, often brought their households with them and it was not uncommon for Legionaries to retire in the conquered lands of the legion (they could get more land there).
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

With the decline of the roman empire the remaining romans (the ones that choose to stay or had no choics) moved west into wales.

Welsh still has a large number of roman words in ite language.

It is also true that normans had very little genetic influance on the gene pool of the British isles, this does not stop west country folk claiming that they are the last TRUE Brittons as they have no Norman gene at all.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

"Wife is Human, sub-race mongoloid."
    lofl
    Im american human...
    Mostly Comanche indian, some german, spanish, and fillipino.
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.