Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you deal with a boxer's hopping?

and there is difference between concussive impanct and penetrating impact; both hurt in diffent ways but both can do damage.

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    no its not

but i do like small gloves (mma ones), they are ok, not too unrealistic as the boxing ones
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

They cosmetically protect the face. The ultimate result is less cosmetic damage and more KO's.
    OK, I'll buy that.

They protect your hands ENOUGH so that you can throw full power shots to the head like without turning them into fleshy bags of broken calcium.
    I think you're still talking about MMA gloves here. If so, how do boxing gloves not allow for full power shots? If the same damage is done, why do boxers wear heavier gloves?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

When they were trying to outlaw UFC in the beginning, Shamrock's biggest argument when testifying was that boxers are in actually more dnager of being hurt because they take waaay more shots ... the very padded gloves lead to taking more shots and Muhamid Ali-ism. UFC/Pride gloves protect your fist ... just a little padding over the knuckles. I've competed with both. Believe me, I'd rather eat a boxing glove than a MMA glove or bare fist anyday. How about you?

As far as wrapping and tape, I don't.

As far as listening to anybody that can press a couple of buttons and create a website -- I don't.

Have a training partner put a 12 oz glove on and crack ya in the head. Then have him do it bare knuckle. Come back tomorrow and tell me which caused more damage. Who cares if he breaks his hand or not. I'm talking about damage to you -- the other guy is always a bum, who cares about him.

Or, what if someone challenged you and requested that you wear 12 oz gloves and he'll go bare knuckle ... neither can wear head gear. Would you? Does that sound fair to you?

Of course the glove also protects your hand ... goes without saying. Your mouth piece keeps you from getting a concussion ... it just so happens it keeps me from having your tooth impale my fist. Should I say the mouthpiece is to protect my hand too?

More or less it certainly is

MMA gloves I much prefer. Easier to grab, much more realistic getting hit with one. Kinda hurts sometimes tho.
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

Back to the original questin. If you catch someone hopping or bouncing around, sweep them. You should be able to get some good air time as it is easy to time.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Bouncing does make it quite easier to execute throws... Bouncing = no root.
    Shuffle stepping, leaving one foot planted is different, but if they are straight up bouncing...
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching

Efist, define damage? I'd argue that getting knocked out is way worse than a nasty lump and a cut. I can fight with one of them. Hand protection allows you to throw with impunity.

Boxers wear heavier gloves because beyond a certain point, the cushioning absorbs some of the impact. I never said that boxing gloves didn't protect the head to some extent. BUT, they are primarily there to protect the hands from breakage.

As far as MMA gloves, it's just impossible to use bulky gloves and grapple effectively.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Originally posted by Merryprankster
    As far as MMA gloves, it's just impossible to use bulky gloves and grapple effectively.
    You're preaching to the choir, Merryprankster ... remember that we're the kung fu guys who can't apply our death touches or channel our chi blasts in boxing gloves!

That's why I like my MMA gloves.
    "Once you get deeper into the study of Kung Fu you will realise that lineage and insulting others become more important than actual skill and fighting ability." -- Tai'ji Monkey

"Eh, IMO if you're bittching about what other people are doing instead of having intelligent (or stupid) conversation about kung fu or what your favorite beer is, you're spending too much time exploring your feminine side." -- Meat Shake

when they used to fence for a sporting yet manly duel, and put a ball of cotton of fabric on the tip of the sword, was it to protect the sword?
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

Do you wear a cup to protect your ears?

Gloves are multi purposefull... gives wrist support as well as keeping the hands from breaking, as well as keeping your face from being broken. I dont know why the hell you guys are arguing about it... seems kinda obvious to me.
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching

Originally posted by Crimson Phoenix
    when they used to fence for a sporting yet manly duel, and put a ball of cotton of fabric on the tip of the sword, was it to protect the sword?
    Yeah, and when you put a hat on the end of your Jimmy, is it to protect your, eh, bad example.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

I'll put it like this. Tournament wise, boxing gloves work well: It's one day of fighting where you fight 3 to 5 guys for only 2 to 3 rounds. You'll feel a little punch drunk, but you'll be OK after ya get some food and drink and sit down in front of the boob tube, take a nap. If it was bare knuckle, you have a greater chance of having some serious tissue and nerve damage because the strikes are more focused (broken cheak, ect.)

If I was competing every month, 7 to 12 rounds, I'd be nervous about boxing gloves from the shaking of the brain.

To put it another way, when I heal up I'll be fighting a guy much bigger than myself. For that I prefer to go bare knuckle, because I'll have to chop his limbs instead of head hunting, so knuckles is an advantage. Otherwise I'd just be massaging his arms.

At the same time, if I am beat it will be oever quicker

All E-Chuan grappling techinques can be peformed with boxing gloves because we do not use our hand to control. You can still hook a guys arm with a glove and control with the elbow.

lofl@ jimmy hats. Havent heard that one in a while.
    thanks for the laugh wd.
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching

Edit: I hate boxing gloves. After I hit someone, I like to grab cause my hand is already all the way over there, may as well bring some part of the body back with it. Cant really do that in boxing gloves... throws are a pain in the ass with boxing gloves on too.
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching