Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you deal with a boxer's hopping?

A gentle knee to the chest works well too if the aforementioned isnt working. Sometimes louie just gets too excited.
    I work shaving on him sometimes as well.

Edit: no I dont mean with a razor.
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I've never been taught to bounce in boxing. We stay on the balls of our feet, and step in a 'shuffling' manner; getting the foot just a little off the ground and sliding it forward, then following with the rear foot, in quick choppy steps, to maintain balance.
    that's what I experienced the other night. although, I wouldn't have said choppy. his transition from forward to backward to angles was very smooth. and quick. I couldn't catch the dude.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Amatures "hop" around. Check the serious pro fighters, especially heavy weights, no one's bouncing around anymore.

It's no different than TKD guys that do that stupid shuffle ... charge right in. As with the TKD shuffle, the principle is just idiotic. My master compares it to a gunslinger with two pistals at his waist. Does he fake for his right, then fakes for his left, then pulls the right gun? By then he's dead! Pull and shoot. After the guys dead, than you can twirl the gun around and blow the smoke. So much waisted, unnessary movement.

Iron Fist, you make a lot of innacurate statements:

The other day you said boxing gloves are to protect the fist, not the face. And now say boxers hop. Are these ideas in your head, or something you are being taught? I don't mean to be rude. But if we're coming here to learn, you should post statements that you are certain are accurate! They may not be, but as long as you feel they are and can defend your point it's good.

But to say a 12 or 16 oz pillow of a glove doesn't protect the other guys face, is simply wrong. To suggest boxers "hop", and how to counter it, is kind of silly. Even if they do, that's like asking how do you defend the other guy scratching his head ... he's doing nothing to you. Why should it affect you? Go when you want to go! Do what you want to do!

Boxing gloves are for protecting the hands. Headgear is for protecting the face/head.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

The primary purpose of the glove is to protect the hand, however we saw in the Pride clips that a certain blow with a 4 oz. glove will knock someone out, where with a 12 - oz glove it would not be a knockout. With a 16 oz. glove it would definitely not be a knockout.

Another effect of the large glove is that it takes up more space defensively, and offensively it may be harder to slip a shot in through a tight space.

Edit: I think we can say that for punching, having a small glove, 4-6 ounces is ideal. Having no glove or a big heavy glove will detract from the power and effectiveness of the punch.

as said above, good boxers don't 'hop' or bounce, except maybe in training exercises. someone who does actually bounce while fighting, should be an easy target as some of these other guys have said.

and i agree that gloves/wraps/tape primarily protect the hands, and head-grear, mouthpiece, vasaline protect the face.

but at the same time, it would be difficult to take or land face/head shots regularly w/o gloves, we'd all be cut up and injured too much to train the next day. while gloves protect your face from cuts and breaks, they sure don't protect your head from concussive impact, they even add to that effect.
    Last edited by MutantWarrior; 09-19-2003 at 10:19 AM.

yenhoi wrote:

thats the best time to catch anyone.

Umm, right. catch them off balance. but if you don't know when they're off balance (i.e. off "root"), you'll never know how to catch them.

It's really basic and IMO it's the answer to the original question of this thread. Don't worry about hopping/not hopping, look at the fighter's transition of weight (e.g. when he commits to a strike) and exploit that.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

Originally posted by EvolutionFist
    Iron Fist, you make a lot of innacurate statements:

The other day you said boxing gloves are to protect the fist, not the face.
    The boxing history stuff I've read online says that gloves were to protect the boxers hands. I read that old boxers who didn't wear gloves held their hands out more (the old school style). This was to minimize the distance their hand had to move to reach the opponents face. If they punched from where today's boxers hold their hands, their hands would break. Therefore, gloves were invented to keep the hands from breaking upon impact.

Gloves also make a fight last longer, and therefore it's more fun for the viewers = more money to be made.

So if any of that is wrong, please correct me.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Gloves protect the head from incidental cuts, but hardly "protect" the head. You can punch harder with gloves than without.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

I dunno about that one. I mean, how many people could take 40 shots to the head and only come out with some bruises and a busted lip against a bare-handed guy? Boxing injuries to the head are relatively minor considering the amount of force thrown in their punches and the sheer amount of connections registered.

And yeah yeah yeah, I don't want Tyson hitting me square on the head to see how relatively minor they are.....
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    a smaller glove, or a bare hand
    will have a harder surface
    will do more damage

dont believe me?

watch the damage that happens on gloved boxing fights
    watch the damage that happens on pride fc and other mma -> the cuts, screwed up faces, etc

watch how many strikes are needed for most knockouts on boxing
    watch how many strikes are needed for most knockouts on mma

watch the size of the gloves -> put your hands in front of your face -> see how it covers a greater area of your face then when you are bare-handed

you can, yes, train your hands to be able to strike at very full power at very hard surfaces.
    merryprankster of course doesnt know how
    it is obvious that if your body is not trained to strike bare-handed you will strike harder when padded
    but if you are fully conditioned to strike bare-handed, you wont ever hold back
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

I dunno about that one. I mean, how many people could take 40 shots to the head and only come out with some bruises and a busted lip against a bare-handed guy? Boxing injuries to the head are relatively minor considering the amount of force thrown in their punches and the sheer amount of connections registered.
    You're not likely going to take 40 shots to the head from a bareknucks opponent. You're going to take a handful. Then the assailant is probably going to break his hand. Skulls are thick and tough and you aren't going to hit the right target all the time. If you did take 40 shots bare knucks you'd probably have a face that looked more like Klitschko's post Lewis. But, more likely, this fellow's going to break his hand long before then.

To be honest, most "connections" aren't flush. The first thing you learn boxing is that hitting somebody 5 times flush in 9 minutes of sparring is pretty tough!
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

Just playing DA to this one, but would a bare fisted guy have landed all 40 punches?
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Just playing DA to this one, but would a bare fisted guy have landed all 40 punches?
    Probably not. But he wouldn't need to because no one could take that punishment.

How do MMA gloves help protect the hand if they are smaller and contain less padding than boxing gloves?

I would argue that MMA goves are for protecting the hand primarily, while boxing gloves are weighted to help cushion the force applied to the opponent.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 09-19-2003 at 10:52 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

merryprankster of course doesnt know how
    Getting rapidly closer to being on my ignore list. You've turned into quite the ******* lately.

Xebs/Master,

Those small gloves provide enough padding to prevent most cuts and keep your hands from breaking. They protect your hands ENOUGH so that you can throw full power shots to the head like without turning them into fleshy bags of broken calcium. KO's went up when MMA gloves were introduced. That may be correllative vice causative.

The gloves prevent hand breakage allowing full power shots=knockouts. They cosmetically protect the face. The ultimate result is less cosmetic damage and more KO's.