Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Concerning Sai in China...

Concerning Sai in China...

Ok guys check this one out.....goto the link below

www.saolim.tk

Click on the south shaolin temple on the left.

It's an article on the recent discovery of the southern shaolin temple and it's rebuild. good read. (Fellow SDer's it mentions GM Sin's stele he placed as tribute.)

Scroll down the pics until you get to the one with some old weapons excavated from the original site....

Lo and behold there sits a SAI!

I read an article in kungfumagazine a while back that talked about the use of 'whips' by law enforcement in old china. They were called whips because that's what you did with em, whipped the crap out of someone. Anyway, the pics they had in the article was basically a sai, they were different shapes and sizes but they were all identical to a regular ol sai.
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall never break under the pressure!

yes, that is pretty cool. it's under the putien temple section...what's interesting is that these are EXCAVATED sais.

so what do u think of that masterkiller ?
    Last edited by shaolinarab; 09-18-2003 at 11:18 PM.

And your point is?

Ngor Chor Kun has the sai as one of its weapons. I happen to know the form - it is one of my favourites.

BTW some of those pictures have been stolen from a Ngor Chor website. I might email the guy about it.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

I only saw 1 possible sai there, the rest looked more like spear and tiger-fork heads.

From what I know the chinese had Sai but the somehow were different from the okinawan variety.
    Witty signature under construction.

Originally posted by shaolinarab
    yes, that is pretty cool. it's under the putien temple section...what's interesting is that these are EXCAVATED sais, and there are short and long varieties.

so what do u think of that masterkiller ?
    Long variety? What I saw was one sai and a few tiger fork heads.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.

Well I have no point joedoe other than I've seen some debate recently concerning the sai as a chinese weapon, sparked my interest a little.

I agree that I see one representation and the rest spear and tiger fork heads.

Just really wanted to get some conversation going about this weapon. I enjoy the sai form that we have also, but we really don't have much more than that out right now.

I can't find the pics. Can someone nick them and attach them to this thread?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

OK fair enough. I guess a lot of people believed the story about how the sai was an Okinawan weapon, and the sai as we generally know it probably was. I have been told the Chinese version is slightly different, but in what way I am not sure and for the purposes of practicing the form and learning the application the Okinawan/Japanese version will suffice.

Originally posted by joedoe
    And your point is?
    The point is we have a bunch of blowhards on here saying that Shaolin Do isn't chinese in origin because we use sais. Well behold, there are some chinese sai.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

Originally posted by Serpent
    Go to 'South Shaolin Temple' on the left side, and select the 'Putian Temple' link across the top. Then wait half an hour for the images to load.

Originally posted by Serpent
    Here, especially for you.

Funny me and Joedoe said the same things in different posts.

Here is the pic serpent:

http://home.wanadoo.nl/info-kungfu-s...in_museum2.jpg

Also one here from Quanzhou Southern Shaolin Temple.

http://www.shaolincenter.com/china02...close%20up.jpg
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

The only reference to a chinese 'sai' I've ever seen was in the article that I have in the zine that sponsors this forum. The pics they had in the article showed what amounted to a sai except that the middle was a little longer, and some had knobs at intervals going up the length of it, sorta like a rope with knots tied in it. Some had smaller side prongs as well, and then again some had larger side prongs that were ornate and more curvy. If I can dig up that issue I'll scan the pics and see if I can get them posted for reference. That article was neat, it had pics of lots of different representations of what they were calling a whip. The article was on whips actually, everything from the chain whip to the 'whip' used by law enforcement.

Maybe Gene would know some good sources for research?
    Last edited by Evad; 09-18-2003 at 11:37 PM.

Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming asserts, in "Ancient Chinese Weapons - A Martial Artist's Guide" that the sai originated as a hair pin, and was a favoured weapon of martial artists in Canton and Fujian Provinces, and Taiwan.
    Geoff

-A hundred enemies, a hundred cups of wine. Infinite enemies, infinite wine.-