Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Some questions on the Burmese martial arts.

ttt.

Sorry that no-one has answered, but I dont think that many people have experience with it.
    try to do a search on the main board, I know a thread was made about it some time ago.

-cz

I've not studied bando myself, but I've known people who have. As I understand it (big disclaimer), various skills were taught under the blanket name "bando." Some people in the club I visited did lots of weapons forms. Others specialized in the kickboxing elements. So I believe that lethwei and the other specialized areas are taught as components of the overall bando.

But don't quote me on that.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

4. Thumbs up

I confess that I´m probably just shifting the weight,but this forum seems like a reasonable place to go ask;
    http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/for...?s=&forumid=60
    The sunset´s setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Bando

So whats the deal with it? anyone hear train it? I watched some of the thaing.net fights, nasty stuff.

Really, no one has anything...jeeze, i guess its not that popular then eh.

Maybe someone can answer this, did/does muy thai used to/still have bear knuckle fights, as bando seems to, as a regular occurence?

muay thai is a ring sport. I'm sure any bare knuckle fights in some shady bar would be considered low level.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

It's not a "popular" style, in some sense, because there's an edict against commercial bando schools. You don't see them. People who teach bando do so as a hobby. Not a job. Making schools more a rarity.

There is one near here, mind you. Mr. John Collins, if memory serves.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

thaing.net is as good as you'll get
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

ahh thanks

apoweyn, can you explain a little more on the edict against commercial bando schools?

muchas gracias

I know that there used to be or may still be a bando full contact tournament. Some of my older classmates went around 90 or 91 and won the tournament cup. I thought bando was burmese, more or less the same as thai boxing but with weapons training and some military training also, but I'm probably wrong.

yeah, it's burmese and some aspects of it bare similarity to muay thai. I've got an old issue of IK from around 1994 that has a write up about it.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

burmese boxing is rad, check it

there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Watch the other video of the Burmese boxer vs. Japanese boxer.

Beautiful ending!

the question people have had for years is which came first, bando or thai boxing. Since the records were lost, nobody knows for certain.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter