Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Some questions on the Burmese martial arts.

The history is very intertwined with different empires spreading over the areas now defined as 'Burma' and 'Thailand.' Kinda hard to determine the whole 'first' thing.

A buddy of mine went to a Muay boran camp in Thailand, then crossed over to Burma and fought in Burma. As he put it 'Those cats are good.'
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

yeah, cambodia, vietnam, thailand, laos... all very intertwined.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Don't forget to add Golden Village Boxing to that list of what came when and what came where.

http://www.ironlife.com/mag/issue11/traditional2a.shtml

that sh*t is hardcore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97L9jVcKb1k

waiting for knifefighter to com in and say it isnt crap cause they dont fight on the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolinlueb View Post
    that sh*t is hardcore.

waiting for knifefighter to com in and say it isnt crap cause they dont fight on the ground.
    I think that Bando has some GnP...

that sh*t is hardcore.

that isn't at all his style, he appreciates anything that is REAL...
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

that sh*t is hardcore.

he wouldn't say that because they fight with decent level of contact.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Anyone have info on the structure of the art? There's a guy that teaches it at Georgia State Univ. where I'm going to grad school....taught it since '73. I'm gonna try and take it, once they announce the schedule. I heard it's mostly muay thai/kickboxing oriented, and they train it like that. But I also read that once they teach beginners all the basics, punching, kicking, and drills, there's some forms associated with it.....

Anyone know anything about that? I'll ask when I get contact info for the guy, once the schedule's posted. Just wanna see if any of you know.

I put up a thread elsewhere to see if we can get Phil Dunlap's attention, when it comest to Burmese martial arts, he's the guy to talk to

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I have never trained bando, but from what I have heard of it, it is trained in similar fashion to muay thai and is divided the same as muay thai (muay thai has the sport, a traditional art and a weapons art) burmese arts have the same. perhaps the man in question knows both the sport and traditional systems, or maybe he is a traditional guy.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

isn't bando associated witht his guy? http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies33.htm

like any tradition, it has frauds and it has others, Phil is 100% legit, let's hope he posts bere

yeah great contact yada yada. but there is no rolling around on the ground in the competition video of burma vs japan. so its not real enough for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

I hope I can clarify some of the info here.

Bando is actually a term that popped up during the Japanese occupation and is most readily associated with the ABA in the United States headed by Muang Gyi the individual in the POW link and the NBA started around the Japanese occupation in Burma. The Georgia State program is from the ABA line. I really don't want to get involved in the Gyi controversy as I am not involved in the ABA.

I represesnt the Kachin style of Thaing also known as HKYEN

Lethwei also called Burmese Boxing or Myanmar Traditional boxing is the Kickboxing and the rules are as follows.

This is an a government release on the modern rules of Burmese Boxing

This is the official Government approved History of Burmese Boxing Myanma Traditional Boxing as Practiced in the Government Sactioned Golden Belt Tounements.

Myanma traditional boxing (Myanma Letwhave) had developed since many years ago. It is the national art of self-defence which stimulates hereditary courage and the national spirit. As all the Myanmar nationals can hold, boxing matches in every region in Myanmar, the traditional boxing becomes the national art of Self-defence. It is the heritage not only owned by one national but by all the nationals of Myanmar.

Myanma traditional boxing is the high standard of fighting art without weapons. The traditional boxing match is man to man fighting. Thus, it is regarded as mannliness. In an ancient saying, if a man has no tatto marks, he is regarded as womanish. So also, if a man does not know the traditional boxing, he is regarded as a sissy. At the time of ancient Myanmar kings, traditonal boxing matches were held in grand scale. (Pagan, Nagayone Myanma encyclopaedia, No-12, Page from 175 tp 179). The pictures of a man standing on his head, wrestlers and dancers can be found on the wall of a cave mear Bagan. The picture of the two wrestlers are vivid. Both are stout and they look real sportsmen. It is assumed that Boxing might develop in the Bagan era.

During the era of Inwa, the two boxers, Augnsegon Thangarazar and Shangyi fought in the boxing match. The former killed the latter with his right hand. Long long ago, the militant soldiers who know the military strategy were trained the art of boxing, Some historians said that at the time of Thibaw, the last King of Konebaung dynasty, good boxers are put in the royal list as " Letwhave Taw Thut".

The boxers of prewar period could break bamboo poles with their fists. And they were able to hit certain mark on the face. They could fight tirelessly from sunrise to sunset to get high reward to get the champion's flag (Alan Lu Pwe).

After the indenpendence in postwar period, Myanma traditional boxing revived as the national heritage. The Boxers, mostly farmers, kept the Myanma traditional boxing alive.
    Twenty of Myanmar top boxers were sent to Thailand in 1955 and to China in 1960 to partictpage in the boxing matches hold there. Said U Bo Sein who had been to China. Boxing matches are being held at the time of the Shwedagon Pagoda festivals, indenpendence days and Farmers's days. So that Myanmar nationals can deeply enjoy them.

In the past, the boxing matches were held on the ground of about 24 feet wide. The groud was covered with sand or husks of paddy. Nowadays, the boxers fight in the ring which is 20 feet wide. They wear only short pants and the top is tied by longyiof triangle shape. Their hands are bandaged. There are two references ( Ko Wyne Daing) in the ring and three judges on the bench (Khone Daing). Myanmar traditional music is being played while they are fighting.

Various spirits are worshipped before the match is started for the successful ending.
    Myanma traditional boxing is an art of fighting and self-defence. When a boxer fights his opponent he can tactfully use his feet, hands, knees, elbows and head. (Nine Big Weapons). Therefore, the famous old boxers said that there were nine entering hits and nine defending. They said that fists were to blow, elbows to make a side thrust, head to hit, feet, knees and forearms to strike.

Nowadays, three kinds of Myanma traditional boxing matches are generally held according to the size and types of the festivals. They are--
    1. GYAR PWE (Interim boxing match)
    2. ALAN LU PWE (Boxing match to get champion's belt)
    3. SEIN KHAW PWE (Boxing match of challenge)
    Thus, by preserving and practising Myanma traditional boxing, patriotism and union spirit are strengthened and uplifted. Besides, there are many advantages to be developed which are good character, health and fitness, selt-confidence, safety at work, defence of the country and Myanmar young people's love for their country.