Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UNDERWORLD (spoilers)

didn't see it but Ringo Lam would make most movies a masterpiece.... except for his VanDamme crap...
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Originally posted by Radhnoti
    My friend, who went to see this flick, said that he felt he'd been robbed of almost 2 hours of his life and 8 bucks.
    He's seeking legal representation now in an attempt to recoup his losses, and I wish him luck.
    Unfortunately, I think one assumes the risk that a movie may suck if it stars any former cast member of Felicity. Kentucky law may be different on this point, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I still say it wasn't bad. I'm no hard-core goth, though, so maybe all the vampire-philes had a beef with it which I didn't see.

Plus, this movie has to have at least 1 sequel to explain everything, so, like I'm doing with Matrix Reloaded, you may have to reserve your judgement until you see the complete storyline.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Plus, this movie has to have at least 1 sequel to explain everything, so, like I'm doing with Matrix Reloaded, you may have to reserve your judgement until you see the complete storyline.
    I disagree. Unlike matrix, which had lots of big ideas not completely apparent until the sequel, there are really no big ideas here. There is no philosophical/religious undertone to this movie at all.

What could possibly be revealed in the sequel that would make all the pointless and boring dialogue in this movie suddenly interesting and relevant?

I'm no goth or vampire nut either. I'm wagering serious goths probably liked this movie for its aesthetic alone. It's the rest of us that suffered through it.
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

The points of contention for a sequel, the way I see it, are not religious or philosophical, but story devices, per se.

1. The "light" bullets are suggested to be of military origin, but they never explain where they actually came from. Perhaps there is a bigger conspiracy at large.

2. The young vampire leader, who is originally portrayed as the bad guy, turns out to be not so bad. His brokerage with the lychens (?) was going to allow for a peaceful settlement once the head vampires (the real baddies) were killed. The fact that he survives probably means he will continue to seek this treaty with the lychens.

3. Obviously, the half-breed guy will be a major player in the treaty brokerage. The siginificance of his transformation isn't really discussed in the movie, except that it means the lychens will be able to avoid extinction at the hands of the vampires. I would wonder if all lychens accept this half-breed as their savior? Do they not want to preserve their race as well?

4. The remaining lead vampire will waken and probably choose to hunt down and kill the chick and the half-breed, as well as continue the exterminiation program for the lychens. I forsee a 3rd faction, consisting of the chick, the half-breed, and the younger vampire leader, which will be at odds with both the lychens and vampires. Somehow, someway, there will have to be a resolution in which the current war is ended, and this 3rd party is the catalyst for such a movement.

Obviously, this isn't as metaphysically rich as Matrix, but it's not bad, especially since most vampire movies blow anyway.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 09-25-2003 at 10:18 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

2. The young vampire leader, who is originally portrayed as the bad guy, turns out to be not so bad. His brokerage with the lychens (?) was going to allow for a peaceful settlement once the head vampires (the real baddies) were killed. The fact that he survives probably means he will continue to seek this treaty with the lychens.
    Well, given that he tried to kill the head lychen to save his own a s s , I'm doubting that.

Otherwise, I'll agree to disagree. Yes, most vampire movies suck. Most romantic comedies suck too, but that doesn't mean I'll give one props for not sucking quite as much as the others.
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

Originally posted by MasterKiller

Obviously, this isn't as metaphysically rich as Matrix, but it's not bad, especially since most vampire movies blow anyway.

I thought vampires s u c ked?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Went to see it last night with my gf. Been together 6 months.

Company was great, the movie scuked. Hard. Dear Jesus, if I had been physically able to pay attention to the movie, I'm sure I would have been a bit ****ed off.

I had to wash my eyes for watching the last few minutes.

I can still see it . . . *help*
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Post it was interesting enough

although HOW it does in the first weekend opening will determine if it gets to funding for a sequel(which it doesnt look like it is going to do much) but hey the new trend is "lets make a movie and make three parts and make everyone wait". this is actually not new as they did this in the 40's with rocket man and others.

i mean its not a great movie but it certainly is not a bad one.

i am interested in that at the end the dead lychens blood seeps down in to the tomb of the other head vamp and he wakes up with the same eyes as the mix blood. seems like the theory that he will go and hunt down the mix blood and the girl is not feasable.
    but hey i paid matinee prices for that movie so i dont feel i wasted that much dough.
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.