Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bench Press form

About the elbows - if you are standing at the trainee's feet, are the forearms perpinducular to the ground from this angle? Because if you really tuck the elbows in your hands go to the outside of your elbows, knowhutimean?

Also, what kind of grip spacing do most PLs use? I put my pinky on the rings, because I heard 24" from a PLer, although I'm not sure which part of the hands that number was referenced to.

Oh yeah, and as far as the wrists, do you want them flexed as much as possible the whole time. I figure that lets you put the bar in a strong position on your palm, although past a certain point I find that the bar doesn't want to go down in a straight line.

I hope that makes sense. I didn't mean to get all mechanical about things, but otherwise I wouldn't be sure.

Hi Abodo,

You are correct that you don't want to tuck the elbows that much. That could put strain on the shoulders as well. You want your elbows, hands, and barbell directly in line.

PL's use a wide grip. Usually with at least their middle finger on the power rings or wider. This shortens the ROM as well. In training, most will use grips completely inside the rings... the widest being what you described.

You don't want your wrists bent at all. You want them as straight and tight as if you were punching somebody. If you bend them, this will put the bar out of line with your elbows and arms and cause you to bench less.

Thanks, that's pretty much what I've found in practice but it's good to hear it from you.

I think I've got it down for the most part. I expect that my shoulders will like my improved form, too.

While driving my upper back into the bench, I was surprised at how hard the glutes contract. It's because I am slightly weaker for now and I need more leg drive to move the same weight as a couple of weeks ago.