Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toughman death update

Toughman death update

I guess I just feel the need to let everyone know how this progresses.

http://www.newscoast.com/apps/pbcs.d...309230650/1060
    East River Dragon Style, Lam Family
    東河龍形 - 林家拳, 林志平,師傅

You know the day destroys the night
    Night divides the day
    Tried to run
    Tried to hide
    Break on through to the other side
    Break on through to the other side
    Break on through to the other side, yeah
    Volcano has removed himself from this realm
    Account is hijacked, email is fake, password is unrememberable
    No im not drunk or sad

"cos im the TAXMAN!!
    yeah im the TAXMAAAN!!"

Sue Happy Nation

My sypathies are w/the woman's children and family. The loss of a family member is a tragedy no matter what the circumstances. That having been said, I can't believe that the promoters and event location are being sued. How can anyone w/half a brain look at a tough man competition and actually believe that they're not going to get hurt? Duh, blows that result in bloody faces, and stretches of unconsciousness are painful as well. If the young woman had ANY doubts about her ability to withstand the punishment she should have kept her butt in the stands...no matter who "goaded" her into competing. I have trained in MA for nine years. I've been knocked out, had my nose broken, and had more black eyes and split lips than I can count. Despite this, I have no delusions of grandure that I could swim w/the sharks in a full contact match. No amount of teasing would convince me to try either. The only way I'm going full contact is if my life, or the life of a family member is at stake. This is not a question of neglagence or misrepresentation on the part of the promotors. It is a question of rather or not an individual realistically evaluated her own abilities vs. the environment she made an adult decission to enter. Her decission was much more informed than the lawyers would have us believe. If you have eyes that see, you can watch a fight or two and see just how intense it is. If the young lady watched some fights and still felt confident about entering, then the responsibility rests w/her, not the promoter. The only other person's judgement I would seriously question is that of the referee. If you see a fighter obviously out matched, and taking a beating, common sense should tell you to stop it for safety reasons. Yes it's a tragedy, but it's not an excuse to make the lawyers richer. JMO Peace.
    Last edited by BentMonk; 09-24-2003 at 04:46 AM.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

It's pretty clear to me that the Toughman higher-ups are a bunch of lying blood-profiteers who place no value on human life at all. They should be buried alive in a fire ant nest.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

And ****ed on by mountain yettis.

Yeah, that is pretty horrible, promoters should be held reliable, as well as the referree. I dont think the event location should be charged however..
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

Dore needs his sorry arse face smashed in.

At some point, you have to take responsibility for your own actions. People who over-eat should not sue restaurants because they gave them the food they asked for, and fighters should not sue promoters for allowing them to fight.

Now, if the promoters did indeed mislead her, it's one thing. But getting into the ring was a conscious decision she made, and quiting when she had enough should have been another conscious decision. She chose not to make that decision, and paid for it.

If any blame is dispensed, surely, it should be at least shared by both parties.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

If the fight should have been stopped and was not however, that is more or less due to the negligence of the referree, and due to an inadequate referree, the promoter is at fault for negligence to hire a competent ref.
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching

Well, she and her family have already suffered for her foolish choices - I'm not denying her part in this at all. The question is why should the promoters get off scott-free for their lies and high-pressure tacticts that led to those choices (and which they have made a goodly profit from)? The answer that some of you are offering seems to be simply that a personal injury lawyer may make some money off the suit. Is your hatred of lawyers so great that you'd rather let injustice go unpunished than allow a lawyer to make some bread (and yes, the lawyers fees would be bloodmoney too, to my way of thinking.)
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

Its nothing so ubberdark, its a business just like any other business by name, I don't believe they should get sued, but again its a liberal world run amok by passing the buck and not taking responsibility, a world run by giant fatasses trying to sue McDonalds, a world where dumb retards with holes in there throats try to sue tobacco companies despite any warnings on the box and whiny brady *****es try to sue gun manufacturers, a place where illegal and diseased criminals are being pandered to more than its natural born citizens, a place that rests more on making school kids feel good instead of fluking them out because they are stupid, where total pu$$ies ban dodgeball because someone's feelings may get hurt.

I would rather see this lawyer and his kin buried alive in a nest of fire ants.
    Regards

Could she not have asked to stop the fight? Did someone hold a gun to her head and make her continue?

All she had to do was quit once she realized she was in trouble.

If she was dazed beyond all ability to make a conscious decision, then it's the ref's fault. If she coherent and able to decide for herself, then she should at least shoulder part of the responsibility.

It's like my dad used to say: You have to carry your own water.

a world where dumb retards with holes in there throats try to sue tobacco companies despite any warnings on the box
    And does the fact that nicotine is added to cigarettes because of it's addictive properties not make the manufacturer's responsible for getting people addicted?
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 09-24-2003 at 10:01 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Jack - try sticking to the subject at hand, if you have a point to make.
    Crippled Avenger

It's not my fault you did not get the point. Its right there in black and yellow.
    Regards

I love boxing. What Dore is doing is illegal and immoral. His are not proffesionaly santioned events. Amateurs really don't understand how dangerous the sport can be. Profesionals do and when one of them dies sad as it may be it's a risk one takes. Unless there's complicity on the referee's part it's an unfortunate thing that happens occasionaly. Amature events are not supposed to be life threatening. This is why we have boxing and gaming commisions. Dore should be banned from the sport for life, after a beating.

"And does the fact that nicotine is added to cigarettes because of it's addictive properties not make the manufacturer's responsible for getting people addicted?"

Sure it does, but the government holds plenty of stock in the tobacco trade, Im more than certain. Why outlaw something they make so much $$ off of?
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching