Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toughman death update

Could she not have asked to stop the fight? Did someone hold a gun to her head and make her continue?”

its called heart, as in that kid has a lot of heart. Takes a beating keeps on ticking. Didn’t read the article only the post. Yes it’s the reefs job to stop it. You wouldn’t expect the person init to stop it would you? too much ego involved. The ego wouldn’t allow it.

In competition stopping or quitting is discouraged, look at the guy in the bike race who broke his collar bone and continued to race, grinding his teeth down because of the pain. Every body said wow what a show of the indomitable human sprit. i guess it is a show of something, good for his dentist thats for sure.

These contest are driven by money and ego, if you play in them better know that going in
    enjoy life

You wouldn’t expect the person init to stop it would you? too much ego involved. The ego wouldn’t allow it.
    Since when is another person liable for your ego?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

"Since when is another person liable for your ego?"

They arent, but when they tell you its a "safe and fun" event, they are reliable for your personal safety...
    Meaning, once again, that the refferee was supposed to be competent and reliable enough to see physical damage, especially excessive physical exhaustian, incoherency, and it was the promoters place to hire said refferee. Inability to review and test a refferees abilities and competency to call an amateur bout, is complete neglicence on behalf of the promoter. In a nut shell, she should have never stepped into the ring to begin with, but the fight should have been stopped.
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

They're not - they're liable for the referee they hired saying "don't stop - go back in there" when a fighter tries to quit (I may be misremembering the facts of the case slightly.)
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Why the hell arent our resident lawyers getting in on this liability debate?

*cough* JP *cough*
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching

They arent, but when they tell you its a "safe and fun" event, they are reliable for your personal safety...
    No combat event is "safe." Nobody with a lick of common sense would believe it to be, regardless of what a promoter says. Combat sports are dangerous. They're lots safer than they once were, but injury is par for the course, and death is an obvious risk, though clearly a small one. Toughman/woman is ridiculous, of course, but anyone who puts themselves in the ring so lightheartedly as to not have considered their own limitations or the ablities of their opponent does so at their own risk.

I feel sympathy for the family, but what the hell was this woman thinking?
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

She was thinking she could trust the experts running the event.
    Before the fight that killed her, Toughman promoters told Stacy Young it would be "safe and fun," according to a lawsuit filed Monday.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

The thing that bothers me is that the ref allowed her to be struck after turning away, willingly turning her back in the univeral "this is too much for me, I've had enough and want to croll under a rock" response.

The ref should have broken it then, checked to see if she wanted to conitnue, AND, if so, penalize her for running away (sort of like running off the mat).

"croll under a rock" ?

-Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching

I am with dwid here.

Logic tells me that if I step into a ring I need to be prepaed to be hit and suffer consequences from it.

Add to that the venue(toughman) and that I am up against a more experienced person ....

Hello, reality check there are people hitting each other.

It's like trying to sue the traffic department & car manufacturer because I had an accident while taking a wrong turn.
    Witty signature under construction.

to recap in brief my previous posts on the matter, i was in the third row. the lawyer is stating what happened on the videotape as exactly what i stated here after the event. After several attempts to waive to the referee her intention to quit, she turned and went into the corner and continued to get pummeled until she dropped from exhaustion and injury.

proceedings in criminal court were stopped because police are responsible for upholding the law, not interpreting it, and dore has many legal loopholes for just such a case, as he’s had the rehearsals. Now the family has someone representing them for a civil case, and I do hope he can achieve something positive for them. suing the venue as well as the promoter may not be "fair", but it may be the only way to obtain restitution for the woman's family via the event insurance (yes, burn the lawyers... but what about the insurance mafia? Ok, so I’m just adding wood to the fire…).

i am a firm believer in one being responsible for one's own actions. The only time someone should not be responsible is when he or she is mentally or physically incapacitated. This woman was physically and, at the moment of the sustaining injuries, arguably mentally incapable of making decisions for her own well-being. The person placed in the position to be her surrogate decision-maker should such a circumstance arise WILLFULLY neglected to fulfill his obligation, at the direction of his employer.

IMHO.
    East River Dragon Style, Lam Family
    東河龍形 - 林家拳, 林志平,師傅