Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu advice

Kung Fu advice

I have trained in Kenpo Karate for several years and was wanting to ask for advice as I am about to start training in Kung Fu. I guess I am asking for advice on what to expect, how much training per week should I put in, away from the instructor, pretty much stuff like that. Thanks in advance.
    Blood, sweat and tears, train like your life depended on it!

Savagewolf.

I would say it really depends on your style, your goals and similar factors.

Can you give us some more info?

Cheers.
    Witty signature under construction.

train as much as you do when you did kenpo. as for what to expect... alot of untraining, since kung fu emphasize softer movements and circles, lot and lot of circles.

My goals, basically to stay in shape, get back in tournament action and self protection. My style, I like going toe to toe but I prefer my ground game, I think that is what you were wanting to know, Laughing Cow. I was a wrestler in high school and am currently a licensed pro-wrestler. Thanks for the advice LC and Xdr4gOnx. Hasta!
    Blood, sweat and tears, train like your life depended on it!

No, wait.
    I think they were asking you what style of kung fu.
    you just said kung fu
    there are many.
    Xdr4g0nx gave good advice with this statement :train as much as you do when you did kenpo.

Debatable advice with this statement : as for what to expect... alot of untraining, since kung fu emphasize softer movements and circles, lot and lot of circles.

not all kung fu is the same..

specific goals would help....
    Kung fu doesnt really have much ground game... (apart from full weighted knee drops to the temple and such) Not all kung fu is super circular... Jesus Im tired as bloody hell.
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Hello there,

..........Train when it occures to you to train. Train muchly in your mind. When you can't socially do stuff that was done in class (a boring reception...) think about the times in class; the ways you were greeted; what the instructor said;the instructions you were given; the encouragement/praise of what you did well/good; what the instructor showed, the directions for how it should be done. Add carrots and water and let it stew.

Train whenever~ Even little bits of here and there can be beneficial I think (perhaps).

Expect encouragement and a lack of patients if you give less than you can. You might find it seems hard or asked to do Too much for Too long, But they Know that you can do it. When you are not used to some thing expect them to notice that and bring you down from continuing Too much. Expect to feel warmth in muscles of the legs. Expect to feel embarassed because they are faster and smoother. Expect to seem clutsy. Expect to keep doing it how they ask for that you will have calmer/clearer/stronger thinking. Not pressured so much. People don't get to you As easily.

Expect to feel good.

Expect to salute students and instructors. Expect to walk in and salute an altar and to turn upon exiting to salute the altar--a I respect this place sort of thing--perhaps keeps/gets one's Pride (arrogance) in check.

Expect to have people be friendly towards you (subtle).

Expect that praise gets less the better you do (keep you from slacking-off because you were complimented and think you know a lot~. Expect encouragement (or advice well meant) to be there when you Really try and mean well and have Intention to do well
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Expect no_know to word things uniquely...
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching

Expect hot chicks everywhere.
    Its true, its true

Thats where they all are, this is the biggest secret of Kung Fu. But dont tell anyone.

I wish that was true.
    I dont know many hot chicks that dig kung fu... most hot chicks around here could care less about fighting.
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching

what do you mean kung fu doesnt have much ground game.

without circles might as well be doing karate

SC107,
    I was thinking the same thing. We may not be as prolific as say, a BJJ club, but when we spar, we go to the ground and use arm-bars, ankle-locks, etc.

I would say the focus of most KF styles is to stay on your feet, but that doesn't mean all styles exclude ground work.

without circles might as well be doing karate
    Shaolin forms and footwork are mostly linear. Should a person drop Shaolin practice in favor of karate?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

There are more linear styles of kung fu, as opposed to say, bagua?

"what do you mean kung fu doesnt have much ground game."

i dont really consider knee drops, temple kicks, tailbone kicks, stomps.... thats not really ground game. Thats kicking one to death once they are down. (remember, we are talking terminology, not efficiency)
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching

there are many different styles of kung fu and different types of instructors, some good, some bad. find the best instructor you can, regardless of which style, someone you can really work with.

listen to your common sense; if something seems surperfluous and ineffective, it probably is. although sometimes in traditional kung fu, important techniques and principles are taught in strange ways, for better of for worse. try your best to distinquish between the valuable and the cr@p, don't waste your time in fantasy land, unless thats what your after.

once you've found a good sifu you can trust, empty your mind of everything you've done prior to that, at least while training and learning; reflection and comparision can come later after you've gotten enough down to understand the new style somewhat.

but to really absorb the new lessons and not interpret techniques through the blinders of what you've studied in the past, you'll have to 'empty your cup'. practice as much as you possibly can, and practice only your new style, at least until you've progressed enough to understand where you are.

and most importantly, have fun, for that is what will keep you dedicated, practicing hard, and coming back to it.