Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How would you defend yourself against a grappler, using Tai Chi..

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Cloudhands (small), to deflect arms; also to wrap (whatever appropriateness dictates).

Yielding Push

Pet the Wild Horses Mane either arm, but both will not have targets simultaneously.

Grasping Pearl at Bottom of the Sea? Golden Needle? (the one where its a cat stance, A deflect by the hip and diving fingers forward up to down).

Grasp Sparrow's tail.

Rollback.
    Last edited by No_Know; 09-26-2003 at 09:02 AM.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Originally posted by Water Dragon

You sure don't know too much, do you merryprankster? Taiji is an INTERNAL system. This means that if you do the long form twice a day, everyday for 10 years, you can beat up pretty much everybody in every situation. That's the beauty of the whole thing. You can beat trained fighters without having to train yourself.
    Hmmmm, not sure on that. I thought proper taichichuan curriculum invoved lot of stance work, drilling of individual techniques as well as other auxililary exerise along with performance of long form.
    Engrish does not mine strong point.

My taiji practice has involved lots and lots of standup grappling, done if not quite all the way live then in an amazing simulation. We call it "push hands" and "moving push hands" and do plenty every class and also pretty often when we see each other socially.

So yeah, if the guy is strictly a ground grappler (this seems highly unlikely but whatever) the answer is defintely going to be outwrestle him standing up so you don't have to get in his element, as has been stated and restated on the thread already. And frankly, yield then issue would seem to be a big part of that - but there's about a million ways to yield, depending on context, and same goes for issuing so RPs response really does strike me as vague and jokey as he claims. MPs response is correct, too, since if you aren't used to using your taiji against a determined foe, you are going to get hosed.

All that said, "pulling down" energy is probably a promising way to deal with a leg takedown attempt. Pulling down basically means backing up and directing your opponents already downward energy further downward. Sound like a sprawl? I think maybe it should!
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Originally posted by Water Dragon

You sure don't know too much, do you merryprankster? Taiji is an INTERNAL system. This means that if you do the long form twice a day, everyday for 10 years, you can beat up pretty much everybody in every situation. That's the beauty of the whole thing. You can beat trained fighters without having to train yourself.
    You were joking, right?

Thank you for all your views on this subject
    It is interesting how some of you say that Tai Chi can be done on the ground....
    I guess it's possible to "root" other parts of your body while you are laying on the ground...

I never thought of using my Tai Chi on the ground... only in standing upright... I guess I better change my perceptions and ways to be more adaptive in my fighting...

I got a somewhat handle on the grapling part from my Aikido training...
    In Aikido, we practice SEIZA, a kneeling position which differn't techniques can be used as in the standing position, including numerous movements.

So I guess if I was using Tai Chi only and I got taken down to the ground, I could also use Tai Chi in this fashion...
    Last edited by 8gates; 09-30-2003 at 07:38 AM.

8gates, my training partners and I have been competing in BJJ and sub-wrestling competitions using only my school's Tai Chi Fast Wrestling set for quite a few years now. It works.
    Last edited by Shooter; 10-02-2003 at 08:14 PM.
    Tai Chi is

What taiji has that wrestling set in it? I haven't come across it yet. As far as going to a judo school to do throws, why don't you just do the ones that taiji teaches you.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Originally posted by 8gates
    Thank you for all your views on this subject
    It is interesting how some of you say that Tai Chi can be done on the ground....
    I guess it's possible to "root" other parts of your body while you are laying on the ground...

I never thought of using my Tai Chi on the ground... only in standing upright... I guess I better change my perceptions and ways to be more adaptive in my fighting...

I got a somewhat handle on the grapling part from my Aikido training...
    In Aikido, we practice SEIZA, a kneeling position which differn't techniques can be used as in the standing position, including numerous movements.

So I guess if I was using Tai Chi only and I got taken down to the ground, I could also use Tai Chi in this fashion...
    Even in groundworks you have to know how to root. Just that you don't root through your feet.

In judo or BJJ's it's called "leverage" and "pin". If you learn how to relax then yield as well as to generate power through your leverage, you are there. Most counters in groundwork require yielding.
    Last edited by Vapour; 10-04-2003 at 05:44 AM.
    Engrish does not mine strong point.

"What taiji has that wrestling set in it? I haven't come across it yet."

Chang Style.

I could be wrong, but I think Bruce is talking about the Fast Wrestling set of his own creation, not something from Chang style (or anything else).
    "Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

The real question is what the hell is a grappler going to do to defend him self against a Tai Chi guy!!
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

taijiquan_student is correct.

Liokault, LOL You made my day. back to training....
    Tai Chi is

The real question is what the hell is a grappler going to do to defend him self against a Tai Chi guy!!
    And the answer is .....the grappler would defend him self by hitting the tai chi "fighter" on the head with a rolled up newspaper and saying NO in a load stern voice.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

The grappler would say"Dude,that guy over there said your Lineage sucks and that X style lineage could wipe your arse while drinking Olong Cha"
    At which point the TJ guy would go over and start a 3 hour debate as to why his style is so good.
    Grappler then quietly leaves as he must continue training for next comp.
    A Problem is only a Problem if you think it is a Problem and every Problem has a solution

Don't worry about losing lass,I've been wrestling wolves since you were suckling on your mama's titt
    Groundskeeper Willy

Ka.

You got the wrong art, this is neither Wing Chun nor any other southern art.

IME TJQ guys don't really worry too much about lineage.

Oh, sorry I forgot we are talking USA MA here, in that case you might be right.

Too many flakes and frauds over there.