Thread: Filipino Wrestling-Buno

Filipino Wrestling-Buno

Just thought some may like the info as wrestling has been a topic of late. Filipino buno if anybody did not know is the FMA wrestling element. Some arnis systems depending on where they come from and who is the teacher, incorporate more or less of a certain range, like the ground range or different choke points for leverage based throws. Some systems like the combat dumog Pekiti Tirsia guys also incorporate, power slaps, elbows, knees, and dirty boxing into the mix.

The dumog stuff that I have seen is either PFS based or that of Modern Arnis. Dumog being practiced and made more popular by Vunacks group and working it off the hubud flow drill.

The first article is of the Garimot system of king tiger wrestling-harimaw buno. It is a nice article with some good descriptions of how the old farmers trained and conditioned there wrestling skills. The Garimot system having from what I gather a good bit of ground skill. I would say that it would also be a good bet that the system was influenced or developed from pentjak silats harimau methods.

http://garimot.com/harimaw_buno.shtml

The second is an old JKD article which is what I am more familiar with. It talks about the basic choke points or seams like the arm drag, bicep push and head twist takedown.

http://www.homestead.com/prosites-jmjkd/dumog.html

Enjoy.
    Last edited by Black Jack; 09-25-2003 at 12:53 PM.
    Regards

Hey jack, are there any good silat books out there? Everyone teaching "silat" around here has less than 2 years experience in it and is only teaching "silat concepts".
    bah.
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

Silat concepts? You mean like a JKD concepts group?

Off the top of my head Bob Orlando has two nice books to get out called Indonesian Fighting Fundamentals and Fighting Arts of Indonesia. You can get them through paladian press. I don't think there are to many books out on the main market.

www.paladin-press.com

That place is a gold mine for all sorts of cool and odd shiznit though.

Shaolin- I also believe there is a combat dumog/pekiti tirsia kali training group in Austin.

Cheers.
    Regards

"Silat concepts? You mean like a JKD concepts group?"
    Yup. They teach "JKD concepts" as well. Its all centered around kenpo.
    lol.
    Thats good ol SAtown martial arts for ya.
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

Frank Benn does submission grappling and pinoy (is pinoy a slur? I hope not) weapons. He may know some of what Jack's talking about.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Is pinoy one of those nasty underdevelped eggs they crave?

I forgot what the main one is called. Its a big time dish over there. I saw some westerners choke them down on Fear Factor and just saw a show on the Discovery Channel about them.

btw- if a stripper does not touch me in any way but makes a "part" of me move without actual contact is that chi projection?
    Regards

I've got an acquaintance who swears the pickled duck fetus thing is like manna from heaven. He's insane, though.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

As per usual, Black Jack is king of obscure MA links.

Long live the king.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Are they pickled? I just thought you crack them open, drink the fliud, rub some salt on it, and down the hatch it goes.

The weird part is that they say it grants male fertility. Real wangdangslangarang power. But eggs have the big C in them so that seems odd.

Thanks Ap.
    Regards

Blog Entries
    Does anyone else have some additional info on the Filipino standing throwing art called Buno? or perhaps some youtube clips?

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    Does anyone else have some additional info on the Filipino standing throwing art called Buno? or perhaps some youtube clips?
    Hello kung fu fighter:

*bows deeply*

My only exposure to FMA grappling is Vunak's Dumog vid and Joe Maffei's article linked above. FYI Maffei is/was affiliated under Vu. Joe is a mod on another forum should you want to ask him questions.

Very truly yours in the MA,

~sg