Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greatest Misconceptions

Greatest Misconceptions

What do you think are the greatest misconceptions in the martial arts from non-practitioners?

For example, I was trying out this balance thing at a mate's house, like a piece of wood on a roller (I can't be bothered to explain) and the first time I fell off, then I got it the second time.

He was all like, "Haha! You fell off! I thought you were some kind of kung fu master!"

Where in kung fu do you learn how to balance on a plank of wood on a clay roller?! Sure, we develop our balance a lot and I got it right second time. Most others there kept on falling off. Anyway, made me think that a lot of people have great misconceptions about us as MA practitioners.

What have you encountered?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

* We all make animal noises like Bruce Lee
    * We all strike crane stances like the Karate Kid
    * We automatically react to adverse situations with a violent response. As a result people have to be more careful about how they treat you.
    * If there is a fight, is expected that you will get involved.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

*WAAATAAAAAAAHHHH!*
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer

Originally posted by Serpent
    *WAAATAAAAAAAHHHH!*
    what?
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

OOOH!

AAaaaaAAHHH!

*thumbs nose*

thumbs nose then nods head and focuses with intent*

* grabs crotch and makes thrusting motions with hips
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

That we can win any fight, it's easy and it's exciting.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

And Keanu Reeves knows Kung Fu. And Jujitsu.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

I had a female Judoka tell me the other day she had to registar her hands as dangerous weapons. I wanted to laugh. She knew I practiced Kung Fu too.
    I have a signature.

Originally posted by PHILBERT
    I had a female Judoka tell me the other day she had to registar her hands as dangerous weapons. I wanted to laugh. She knew I practiced Kung Fu too.
    LOL.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Yeah, I got the "deadly weapon" thing recently from a bit of a dimwit. Also the "Frank Dux is the greatest badass ever! Bloodsport was totally real. San Shou is just stupid, Kumite is the real thing."
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Originally posted by Water Dragon
    * grabs crotch and makes thrusting motions with hips
    Is that a come on?

*** all martial artists excel in bed!... wait...that's not a misconception.

I will double-leg, mount, and elbow the crap out of the next person that asks me if I can beat up Jet Li.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn