Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (a.k.a. Master Killer)

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (a.k.a. Master Killer)

I guess there are different versions of "enter the 36 chambers" I think ranging from 90 to 120 minutes. It was just reissued as part of the Celestial/ Shaw bros massive reissue process. Ididn't buy it but I did get "return to the 36 Chambers" which I didn't know about. It's really good. Gordon Lui plays a guy who goes to Shaolin and learns kung fu by working on scaffolding while refurbishing the 36th chamber! San Te is played by someone else. It has a much much lighter tone than the first one, but some great action. I appreciated it most for it's unpretentious tone, not alot of effects and drama and so forth. There's another one called "disciples of the 36th chamber" that was reissued with alot more footage and is apparently a bit better than the bootleg version that's been floating around, which is usally dismissed as a lightweight comedy. I saw it in the store once but didn't get it. aaaiigh
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

sounds good!

Have been in China for 1 wk and keep getting stuck behind freakin firewalls... can anybody give me a hard copy supplier or ref no. ?

I have it and its pretty good. Not as good as the first but still good. Make sure you have an all regions dvd player becuase it as are most of the Celestial releases is Region 3 (Hong Kong) and won't work with typical US dvd players.

Peace.

I have been buying the vcd's just because I'm pretty into it and have been buying alot of them, many of which I know nothing about, so it makes sense to pay less ($8). The only problem I have is tha some of them I would prefer to be dubbed, like the hardcore kung fu /action ones and the really cheesy b movies. Watching "Super Inframan" with subtitles is taking respect for the films formal integrity to far.

jun-erh

I'm telling Princess Dragon Mom you said that!
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

chang- do you know is Ultraman Chinese? Because I recognized alot of the same sort of avante garde sound effects in inframan. It was a cool movie, especially Princess Dragon woman, but nowhere near the Ultraman stuff I've seen, like the one with the flying monkey.

I'm pretty sure Infra-Man was a ripoff of Ultraman, an attempt by the Shaw Brothers to cash in on the Japanese show's popularity. I've never seen the original myself, but saw Infra-Man in the 70s when I was a little kid and have never forgotten its sublime silliness. My favorite memory is the monster that's just a pile of hair with horns and legs. I believe he shot deadly rays from his horns, too.
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

The Ultraman monkey was called honuman. I memorized the whole movie when I was in jr high. inframan has some classicly ****ty costumes. Another shaw vcd I got recently is "Oily Maniac" which is as good as the title indicates.

Hanuman, in case you didn't know, is a Hindi monkey god. I think he's rather similar to Monkey in Journey To the West, but I'm no expert on either of those d@mn dirty apes.
    Crippled Avenger

I AM somewhat of an expert on those monkeys, at least as they pertain to b movies. which is a problem

Ever see "Treasure of the Sierra Monkey"?

Treasure of the Sierra Monkey

Hoo-Hoo: We've wounded this anthill. It's our duty to close her wounds. It's the least we can do to show our gratitude for all the ants she's given us. If you guys don't want to help me, I'll do it alone.

Bobo: You talk about that anthill like it was a real macaque.

Fred C. Dobbs: She's been a lot better to me than any macaque I ever knew. Keep your pelt on, silverback. Sure, I'll help ya.
    also
    Red butts? We don't got to show you no steenking red butts!
    I enjoy a good monkey movie myself, as you can see.
    Crippled Avenger

36 Chambers of Shaolin (Master Killer)

I just got turned on to this movie, I know I'm a late bloomer. Gordon Liu is now #2 on my list of fav MA's with Jet Li and Tony Jaa, battling for 3rd. My ?: are the 2 sequels worth purchasing, or are thy just "B" movie dreck. There's a local vid store that has just about any MA movie ever made. (he's got Ong Bak 2- will watch this w/e) I want to know if the sequels are worth it b4 purchasing them, so any feedback would be welcome. Thanks.
    Iron Bridge, Iron Horse, 1000 lbs sitting, Fist like Hammer, Finger like Sword, Palm like knife, Claw like Hook, Eyes like Lightning, Fist like shooting Star, Body as supple as a Snake, Body alligned behind punch, Horse Stance 1000 lbs., Strong, but NOT stiff... Fast, but NOT weak!!!

Return of the MasterKiller (Return to the 36th Chambers) is not a true sequel. It has a different plot, and it has a much lighter tone. It's funny and worth the watch.

Disciples of the MasterKiller (Disciples of the 36th Chamber) features Gordon Liu as San Te again, but he is a supporting character as the movie is mostly about a rebellious Fong Sai Yuk. It's OK, but the worst of the 3.

Is the 3rd one where he kind of learns drunken fist? I would say that #2 is better than 3, but the dubbing on the 3rd one i watched was appalling, so that didnt help!