Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (a.k.a. Master Killer)

No, "Druken MasterKiller" is not really part of the "MasterKiller" collection. They just named it that so dumb Gwai Lo would buy it.

Part 3 is about Fong Sai Yuk getting sent to Shaolin Temple for discipline. San Te takes him under his wing, and then helps him fight the local govenor who wanted to recruit Fong Sai Yuk to join his militia.

Quote Originally Posted by Su Lin View Post
    Is the 3rd one where he kind of learns drunken fist? I would say that #2 is better than 3, but the dubbing on the 3rd one i watched was appalling, so that didnt help!

Dubbing is the devil:

http://us.yesasia.com/en/Browse/Prod...id-1002426052/

I've missed #2 then! Wait till Jethro hears about this!

Quote Originally Posted by Su Lin View Post
    I've missed #2 then! Wait till Jethro hears about this!
    Number 2 is where Gordon Liu fakes his way into Shaolin Temple because he wants to learn to fight the Manchus that have taken over the fabric dye factory in his village. San Te refuses to teach him and makes him build scaffolding around Shaolin Temple and fix the roof. Over the course of 2 years fixing the roof, Liu learns Shaolin Kung Fu by watching the monks practice while he works...

It has one of the best lines ever.

Gordon Liu: "My kung fu is not about fighting. It is about universal peace and harmony."

Girl: "That's a stupid kung fu!"

Right, I get it. So he isn't San Te in the second one then ?
    Why must they confuse me like this!

in the version of return to 36 chambers i saw, it had a documentary kind of thing were thery talked about how the bamboo scaffolding is used today in china and how the techniques are used in kung fu
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman

That's one of the things that freaked me out my first trip to China. I couldn't believe they were still building scaffolding with bamboo. I have some pictures I took on the way to a Temple.

Yeah, number 2 was a good one. I have it on tape somewhere. That line is priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Wil-Hung View Post
    I just got turned on to this movie, I know I'm a late bloomer. Gordon Liu is now #2 on my list of fav MA's with Jet Li and Tony Jaa, battling for 3rd. My ?: are the 2 sequels worth purchasing, or are thy just "B" movie dreck. There's a local vid store that has just about any MA movie ever made. (he's got Ong Bak 2- will watch this w/e) I want to know if the sequels are worth it b4 purchasing them, so any feedback would be welcome. Thanks.
    Return to the 36th chamber has possibly the best final fight scene of all time. It is defintely worth checking out. Also it is genuinely funny and it is certainly one of the most enjoyable kung fu movies I have ever seen. Gordon Liu learns from San Te in this one. There are not many true 'movies' in the kung fu genre but this and the original master killer are 2 of them.

Disciples is a GREAT movie. Usually great movies have to break some sort of new ground for me to consider them great. This movie just manages to do everythign perfect. Don't expect the greatest martial arts bouts of all time, btu it is a very fun movie. Ho Hsou??? (little monkey) is my favorite fong sai yuk EVER over jet, fu sheng , mang fei, and all the rest. Disciples could have cut down on the wirework a bit and had more intense battles, but it is still a great movie. Also Li-Li-Li and Master Lau are in it. That always score extra points for me.

Also check out Shaolin Wudang, though gordon does nto play San Te, it is the closest actual 'sequel' that you will find. Though it is a horribel movie, it does have some of the absolute most beautifully choreographed fights ever, and there is a good message at the end.
    Last edited by jethro; 09-02-2006 at 12:15 PM.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Top Student

What was the name of the "Top Student" character San Te fights at the end of his training, and what is the actors real name as well? I've seen him b4, I think in other movies. As bad as he is w/ those b-fly knives, I wonder what he can do with other weapons.

As a side note, who would like to posess the Qi/Chi/Hei the master had in the highest chamber? You would only engage if you wanted to.
    Iron Bridge, Iron Horse, 1000 lbs sitting, Fist like Hammer, Finger like Sword, Palm like knife, Claw like Hook, Eyes like Lightning, Fist like shooting Star, Body as supple as a Snake, Body alligned behind punch, Horse Stance 1000 lbs., Strong, but NOT stiff... Fast, but NOT weak!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wil-Hung View Post
    What was the name of the "Top Student" character San Te fights at the end of his training, and what is the actors real name as well? I've seen him b4, I think in other movies. As bad as he is w/ those b-fly knives, I wonder what he can do with other weapons.

As a side note, who would like to posess the Qi/Chi/Hei the master had in the highest chamber? You would only engage if you wanted to.
    His name is Hoi San Lee. He has a similiar fight with gordon in shaolin vs wudang where again he plays the senior student. He has been in literally everything over the years. The main reason for that is he had teh best ability that you could posess in fighting on screen, and never hurting the other person. Maybe it is becasue his form is so good and he is so muscualr, maybe that is why he sells it so well. But anyway, some of my favorite movies of his are his role as the White-crested crane in the Goose Boxer, the shaolin traitor in Shaolin Prince, henchman in Young Master, a great role that I can't give away in Shaolin Intruders, and of course we all remember him as black man from Enter the Fat Dragon(or at least I remember that horrible spray paint job).

He seems to be good with all weapons from what I have seen though he is not exactyl jet li when handling them.
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

Yup, Master Killer still is a top pick.

Lee Hoi San (aka., Li Hai-sheng) was a practitioner of Wing Chun and I think Lama or White Crane style. I had an old issue of a kung fu magazine from Hong Kong called New Martial Hero, I think, that had an article about Lee and Ti Lung being senior students of Wing Chun and helping their sifu lead classes in Hong Kong way back in the day (the mag was from about 1974). But when he fights in the movies he looks more like White Crane or Lama(?) style, or a version of it. He's been in movies with everyone, and though he was never one of the fastest guys, he's always very strong, precise and rock-solid.

The biggest waste of his career was his character getting killed off by Bill "Superfoot" Wallace in an ice factory in the Asian version of Jackie Chan's "The Protector". (1985).

Shaolin challenges Ninja

Got another one to add to the list: "Shaolin challenges Ninja" aka "Heroes of the East" There's actually a plot you can follow and the fight scenes feature multiple syles of empty hand and weponry. My favorite scene was between G-Liu w/ 3part staff vs. japanese guy w/ nunchaku one one hand and the "billy club w/handle" (sorry, I don't know the name of it) Take my word for it, They was battlin'. Another cool message was the way "the Martial way" was depicted. No one was killed or maimed, but a victor was clear.

Any thoughts on this one?
    Iron Bridge, Iron Horse, 1000 lbs sitting, Fist like Hammer, Finger like Sword, Palm like knife, Claw like Hook, Eyes like Lightning, Fist like shooting Star, Body as supple as a Snake, Body alligned behind punch, Horse Stance 1000 lbs., Strong, but NOT stiff... Fast, but NOT weak!!!

hi,
    the guy from disciples is Siu Hou...
    Heors of the east is one of the nicest ma flicks ever displaying chinese and japanese ma competing..and theres not much hatred shown against the japanese which was for that time very rare..

Shaolin Challenges Ninja has got to be on of my 5 favorite Lau films. It's weird how we don't get like a white backround action sequence for the credits but they go right into the story. I still don't know whether I like the first half(story) or the second half(fights) more. The fights were obviously great but the whole Ninja game played by Kurata and Liu was my favorite. I always like films a lot more when they rely on honor in a story.

And how about stumbling on the knowledge (after the fact) that your wife is this fearsome warrior that is trained in stealth techniques, and by the way knows several time honored ways to kill you. I'm thinking arguments are minimal and I'll just become an insomniac.