Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sizing up the opponent?

Sizing up the opponent?

What really goes on during the sizing up process? Is it critical to attempt to intimidate your adversary?

IMO, sizing up is part honest assessment and two parts psyche-up.

The real process of figuring out where your opponent is strong and weak doesn't begin until the fight starts-- the "Conversation" as it were.
    "Oh LORD, please spare our eyes"- Traditional Prayer before an English Singlestick Match

Originally posted by CrippledAvenger

the "Conversation" as it were.
    Ever heard of "Word Boxing". Crip?
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

good answer. I feel it has a critical importance - as you said for psyching up. To actually be able to intimidate the opponent, does anyone think this is a skill that can be developed? Seeing a big, strong opponent in top shape is what puts fear in me, not really anything the other guy is doing. I'm waiting to hear from someone with some super-samurai knowledge to drop in and tell us how to correctly stare down. But like I said, good answer.

Originally posted by Water Dragon

Ever heard of "Word Boxing". Crip?
    Depends of how you mean it, WD. Are we talking "fighting as conversation", where I throw a jab, you react, and I react accordingly? Or are we discussing something different?
    "Oh LORD, please spare our eyes"- Traditional Prayer before an English Singlestick Match

I'm talking about the actual Chinese style known as word boxing. I want to say that the actual name is Ziramen, but could be wrong.

Originally posted by fa_jing
    To actually be able to intimidate the opponent, does anyone think this is a skill that can be developed? Seeing a big, strong opponent in top shape is what puts fear in me, not really anything the other guy is doing. I'm waiting to hear from someone with some super-samurai knowledge to drop in and tell us how to correctly stare down. But like I said, good answer.
    Personally, I think that confidence is the most truly intimidating thing. Not braggadocio or swaggering mind you, but the vibe that the person in question has done this before and been perfectly at home with whatever comes up. You know, a person hard enough not to have to beat you over the head with it.

I'm not talking humility either. I don't know... it's easier to feel than explain, at least for me.

To answer the original question, I think intimidation can be learned. However, the problem lies in the fact that I don't think most people will want to go through what it takes in order to achieve the aforementioned confidence. That's where the psyching-up, and the "too deadly" come into play.
    Last edited by CrippledAvenger; 09-30-2003 at 09:08 PM.

Originally posted by Water Dragon
    I'm talking about the actual Chinese style known as word boxing. I want to say that the actual name is Ziramen, but could be wrong.
    Nope. But as a writer, I must say it sounds intriguing.

I think I know what you are talking about, Crip. Fighters know. That's what my teacher told me.

The psyche-out is of uber-importance. Many fights are won and lost before the first punch is thrown. Internal power projected as confidence and the sure knowledge that your opponent is going down can destroy a person from a distance. Perhaps this is actually the ever-elusive no touch knockout!

As for word games, have you guys seen a movie called Rosencrantz & Gildenstern Are Dead? Awesome movie, great performances and a superb game of Question Tennis! See it today!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

You're preaching to the choir, Serpent. I'm a huuuge Tom Stoppard fan.

Word boxing eh?
    Nifty.
    Hey WD, PM me that hip throw variation again please.
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

Originally posted by CrippledAvenger
    You're preaching to the choir, Serpent. I'm a huuuge Tom Stoppard fan.
    Sweet!

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Poking people in the chest with your immensly strong kung fu hands is always fun too.

or just stare at them like you want to kill them.
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
    Word boxing eh?
    Nifty.
    Hey WD, PM me that hip throw variation again please.
    Which one?