Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: !!!TMA on video!!!

mmmmmm peanut butter.....

You know, I've been thinking and I'm starting to wonder if Thai styles are the real street lethal...

Thai styles include Masaman and Pad Thai; and either one could keep you goin, long after they're gone...

Of course Chinese styles have their General Tsos & Pan Fried dumplings; but the flavors never seem to get along with each other. Too much infighting between the hot mustard sauce and the sweet and sour chicken. You could go stir fry, but everyone will accuse you of creating too much of a mish mash.

Everyone knows that Japanese styles are minimalist at best. While wasabi packs a little punch, udon keeps you smiling, & katsu kurry can take it home; when an outsider sees a single piece of raw salmon sitting on a few grains of rice he's gonna wonder when the cooking's gonna get started.

I guess what it all boils down to is that every style has their own fried rice and it's the skill of the chef, not the name of his restaurant that matters.

---------------------------------------------
    Another delusional rant brought to you by blatant underfeeding.
    I Love It When They Call Me Pork Chop-pa

What if the punch isn't in Yang style? Are you gonna not use it?
    And what if monkeys fly out of my butt tonight? The punch is there, and a taiji player would use it.
    again.... and???... LOOKS has nothing to do with the fight... i dont see what the big deal is my stuff not looking like XY or Z... as long as i'm the one NOT getting my azz kicked....... peanut butter milkshake akkk...
    Study X, Y, Z, and you'll use a little bit of X, a little bit of Y, and a little bit of Z.

Study only X, and you will use only X. Looks has nothing to do with it. Catalog of techniques, and the emphsis placed on them, has everything to do with it.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    And what if monkeys fly out of my butt tonight? The punch is there, and a taiji player would use it.
    So that's how you back up your argument? If you want to discuss MA let me know. stupid little $hit.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

If I use a double leg takedown, is it my BJJ, Judo, Wrestling or Sambo training?
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

If I use a double leg takedown, is it my BJJ, Judo, Wrestling or Sambo training?
    You tell me.

When I use a double leg takedown, it's my Kung Fu training.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

What if I use an inner-thigh reap throw? Judo, BJJ, Sambo or wrestling?
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

OUR point is that your desire to make distinctions is meaningless because good principles transcend stylistic considerations.

If it works, there is a near duplicate or identical move in another system.

Asking "which is it" is a meaningless question.

my mom like good Pad Thai... i'm a Lard Nah person myself... and a GOOD japanese style is too expensive...
    Study X, Y, Z, and you'll use a little bit of X, a little bit of Y, and a little bit of Z.
    i dont have a problem with that...
    Catalog of techniques, and the emphsis placed on them, has everything to do with it.
    so everything in ya crib is from the same store too huh?... since we wanna us metaphors...
    naw its called... "D@@@@mn, son got the sh!t slammed outta him"... well that what they call it 'round my way...
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

If it works, there is a near duplicate or identical move in another system.
    EXACTLY!

Which means you are using fighting applications, right? Not merely training methods.

Which means you are using fighting applications, right? Not merely training methods.
    Oooooo... this is THAT arguement....... i wasn't tryin to get into that one... carry on...
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

And those applications have no stylistic boundary. Asking "Where it came from" or saying "that's Tai Ji" is pointless. You could say "that's just like or is Tai Ji's Monkey ****s at the Moon," or whatever, but you can't say THAT technique belongs to Tai Ji.

If you only do one thing then you are doing "that system." But that application and that principle doesn't belong to it.

Not to sound contrary to what the rest of you are saying; but if you're pulling off a double leg, you're gonna be aware of the counters that you've trained/had experience with, ie: the bjj counters, the sambo counters, the judo counters, and the wrestling counters; or just the kung fu counters if that's what you've trained.

Regardless, at which point have you stopped doing any of the above?

Suntzu

Had to pass up some sushi at the UFC party.
    Come november, probly gonna spend half a pay check on da good stuff, with a nice selection of Japanese beers. Lemme know if u wanna hit that.
    I Love It When They Call Me Pork Chop-pa

My point is a little different. We don't live in 17th century China where hand to hand techniques are state of the art, closely guarded secrets.

If I want to work on my standing throwing, I can train Shuai Chiao or Greco Roman or Judo which specializes in it.

If I want to learn better striking, I can go to Boxing, or Xing Yi, or Muay Thai, or another system that specializes in that.

If I want to work on my ground game, I'll visit the BJJ or catch wrestling crowd. If I want to do knife work, I'll visit the Indonesians.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

And those applications have no stylistic boundary. Asking "Where it came from" or saying "that's Tai Ji" is pointless. You could say "that's just like or is Tai Ji's Monkey ****s at the Moon," or whatever, but you can't say THAT technique belongs to Tai Ji.

If you only do one thing then you are doing "that system." But that application and that principle doesn't belong to it.
    It's also ignorant to assume a style doesn't use a punch because it's called something else, either.

I'm begining to think that this emphasis on "Stylistic purity" is much more of a Chinese cultural phenomenon than a valid training strategy. I mean, when you start seeing a style's practioners take on the characteristics of a family, (and given the Chinese emphasis on family relationships), it's no wonder you start seeing the emphasis on staying true to your "style" whatever that may be.

However, it still means a liver punch is a liver punch, as is an elbow to the head, as is a reaping throw. Sure, there's minor variations that lead to slightly different results (see Diagonal Cut versus Judo's reaping throw), but at the same time, it's hubris to claim it's something new and original. It's a variation on a principle, not a trade secret.

I also think there's not nearly as much difference between fighting styles as people would like to believe, but that's another flame war for a different thread.
    "Oh LORD, please spare our eyes"- Traditional Prayer before an English Singlestick Match