Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: New SD Videos at Shaolin Center

Originally posted by Ralphie

It is traditional for practitioners of different styles to visist, study, train, and fight each other. This is a widely accepted in Chinese Martial Arts. It is actually not traditional to segregrate one's art and self from the rest of the martial world. No need to surf the web for info, reach out to your KF brethren and your KF will probably get better (my opionion anyway).
    I don't think some of the people on this board would appreciate being called 'Brethren' of us. However, I heartily agree with you. It is always useful to see something different, to me.
    Everything is connected to a greater or lesser degree.

"If you guys are happy with your training...then fine...so be it."
    Wow.

I train Shaolin-Do and Shuai Chiao. Works great for me.
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.

So is the video of the guy doing second road up hwa mountain supposed to be hua chuan?
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

This is a philisophical choice concerning the MA's. You believe what you want about your art of choice as do we.
    Philosophy and history have little in common. Practice what you want, but at the same time, don't blindly accept everything your told just because it comes from someone you respect. Don't reject research for fear of proving your idols wrong!
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

History

I understand you don't believe our history to be accurate and or factual, but in all the pages of this list I didn't see anything refuting the post that addressed how our history fits into the appropriate time frames? It is a specific response to the specific questions that were asked. I don't have the actual post to put the link in, but if you insist, I can go get it? Some of the Anti SD group are giving us a hard time about not addressing specifics, so how about what's good for the goose is good for the gander and address this rebutal?

Didn't illusionfist already give you a history lesson?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Oh boy, here we go again........

History

No, no, I'm not trying to 'here we go again'. I was under the impression that the post I'm speaking of was in response to Illusionfist. Perhaps I'm wrong, but it certainly made the case well for the history being plausable. I'm by no means a historian on this, though I can do my own research. It just seems that research was already done. What I'm asking for is a rebutal of that explaination, one that I can verify.

FC,
    do you go to the Chinese Shao-Lin Center?
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

do they give you SDers an IQ test before they admit you as students? you have to score below an 80 to get in?

you poor dumb *******s.
    Mack 10 just got out of court,
    rollin through tha hood in his super sport ropin Too $hort.
    Eighteens got tha rearview mirrors vibratin

It just seems that research was already done
    Illusionfist gave you an explanation based on actual historical data he obtained from graduate-level studies. Shaolinarab gave an account based on his 6 months at an SD school. You decide which holds more water.

Originally posted by Ralphie
    It is traditional for practitioners of different styles to visist, study, train, and fight each other. This is a widely accepted in Chinese Martial Arts. It is actually not traditional to segregrate one's art and self from the rest of the martial world. No need to surf the web for info, reach out to your KF brethren and your KF will probably get better (my opionion anyway).
    I would absolutely love to. Big problem, no other reputable kung fu schools around. We have plenty of TKD though. But we always get disqualified from their tournaments. I have a huge fat guy, who think he is a pa qua master, teaching at the flea market. I think I will pass on that as well. However if I am in a big metropolitan that some of you guys are at, I would love to come by and cross hands with you. I say this genuinely ... not as in coming down there disrespectfully trying to prove something.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

I would absolutely love to. Big problem, no other reputable kung fu schools around. We have plenty of TKD though. But we always get disqualified from their tournaments.
    Man oh man....at every local tournament around here, I always end up fighting a big Indian from a TKD school. It's never the same Indian, but he's always big, regardless.

These days it seems we all live in the past. Whats your lineage? Who was the 1st grandmaster? who'd he learn from? WHO CARES? Don't take what people say to heart, its just opinions. If it makes you happy, then good. Regardless if its lineage is "shotty" at best. If you can defend yourself but not your art, does that not make you a Martial Artist?
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

If you can defend yourself but not your art, does that not make you a Martial Artist?
    Solipsism is all fine and dandy until you start giving other people incorrect history lessons.

I'm not for sure certain that the Holocaust happened because I wasn't there....but all the history books seem to have corraborating stories, so should I listen to the accepted history, or some neo-nazi schmuck who claims it never happened?
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 10-03-2003 at 01:45 PM.