Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: New SD Videos at Shaolin Center

JP,

Possibly, but I don't think so.

Tarrantino is smarter than most people give him credit for. Sure, it's an homage, but even though Star Wars was an homage to Flash Gordon serials of the 40s and 50s, it's themetic content is deeper and richer than those originals....I believe this film works the same way. He took the parts he liked, and expounded on those elements to fit within the thematic content of the story. He developed the story with Uma Thurman while filming PF, long before he ever decided to make a martial arts flick.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

i gotta hand it to ya MK,

you're a pretty deep guy from an MA

I didn't spend 4 years in college to end up doing menial labor...er....wait a sec.....
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
    4 Doors is still one of Tarantino's best films.
    He made that? No wonder I hated that movie as well.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    I have a feeling that themeecer likes blond-haired all-American girls, and there is nothing wrong with that. Personally, I like my women with a little melanin in them.
    Oh heck no. There are many Asian women that I love. Liu isn't one of them.

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    Well, a Hollywood movie's job is to entertain. A real movie's job is to elicit a reaction from the audience through competent story-telling, regardless if you leave feeling 'entertained' or not. If you are thinking about it the next day, or a week later, then the director has done his job.
    I humbly disagree here. A movie, to me, is for entertainment. If I want to think I read a book. I was thinking about the Blair Witch Project for quite some time, thinking about how much it sucked. That and thinking about how close I came to hurling from the motion sickness it gave me.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab

A movie, to me, is for entertainment. If I want to think I read a book.
    That doesn't make any sense. They're both mearly tools that can be used however you want... everything from conveying raw info in it's most mind numbingly boring form, to personal artistic expression... every medium has its advantages and disadvantages. BTW, using your brain IS entertaining to a lot of people

Originally posted by themeecer

I humbly disagree here. A movie, to me, is for entertainment. If I want to think I read a book. I was thinking about the Blair Witch Project for quite some time, thinking about how much it sucked. That and thinking about how close I came to hurling from the motion sickness it gave me.
    Oh man, it just gets better and better!

Well said, Brad.

Ahahahahahaha!

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Should have known ol Serpent would rear his ugly head in here again. If you don't understand the concept of sitting down and watching a movie and just vegging out, I'm not going to try and explain it to you. I do read a lot, especially since I stopped watching television. And I see that a far better medium for thought promotion than a movie. I do not want to sit through and try to understand the director's vision for a film. I want to see a coherent movie without having to perform some mental gymnastics to follow the story line. Not that I can't perform the mental gymnastics, it just annoys me.

I guess the most mindless vegging out thing I could choose to do is come on here and talk with you. I am tiring of that now. May or may not be on later. Night.
    -shaolinarab

Originally posted by themeecer
    Should have known ol Serpent would rear his ugly head in here again. If you don't understand the concept of sitting down and watching a movie and just vegging out, I'm not going to try and explain it to you. I do read a lot, especially since I stopped watching television. And I see that a far better medium for thought promotion than a movie. I do not want to sit through and try to understand the director's vision for a film. I want to see a coherent movie without having to perform some mental gymnastics to follow the story line. Not that I can't perform the mental gymnastics, it just annoys me.

I guess the most mindless vegging out thing I could choose to do is come on here and talk with you. I am tiring of that now. May or may not be on later. Night.
    You see, you're desperately trying to make yourself sound like less of an idiot, but every time you post the perception is further confirmed.

Of course I understand the concept of vegging out to a movie. Everyone does. That's what mainstream Hollywood bollocks is for. That's what standard B-movie fare is for (although a lot of b-movies do have a more cerebral perspective, just sometimes badly realised or limited to a small cult following).

However, you went and saw a movie that you didn't understand and then started spouting on about how crap it was. I would venture that is a plain endorsement to the fact that you can't "do the mental gymnastics".

Don't worry. Go back to your Die Hard movies and See Spot Run books.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer

I thought 4 rooms was directed by different directors for the different story lines through the movie, and QT did the last story with Alfred Hitch**** classic?

4 rooms was awesome regardless.

Yep, four rooms was four stories by four different directors.

Ah... None the less, great flick.

Edit : And the scene where Antonio Banderas walks in on his kids and the butler... well cant ruin it for those who havent seen it...
    But its priceless... Ah.... lofl. Makes me laugh just thinkin about it.
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.