Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: New SD Videos at Shaolin Center

Originally posted by Golden Tiger
    ... During that time, he has still allowed thousands of people to learn something that they could have never learned if it was not for him...
    Ok, I am one of the few here who really doesn't defend or offend Shaolin-Do practioners. I am a firm believer in "Go meet them before you judge them." I am sure there are some SD people out there who are better than me, and I am sure I am better than some SD people out there. Does it mean SD sucks? No, I have yet to meet an SD practioner, so I have not forumulated an opinion for them (despite the fact I have an SD school just 4 miles from my home).

However I pointed out the above quote because it stood out in my mind. What exactly do we learn we could not learn from someone other than him? Other than Shaolin-Do that is.

I live in Dallas/Fort Worth. Literally 1 mile from my house, there is a home. In this home there is a man who teaches Baguazhang, Taiji and Hsing-I. ONE MILE from me. This man is world famous too, constantly having articles published in IKF (even though people discredit him without meeting him) and even wrote the Introduction to Dr Yang, Jwing-Ming's Baguazhang book.

I get on 303 and travel 5 miles I hit a Hung Gar school.

I get on I-20 and then 820, I hit an 8 Step Mantis school.

I get on I-20 and then 183, I hit a school that teaches Wing Chun, Seven Star and Taiji.

I get on I-20 and then 360, I hit a school that teaches Wing Tsun.

There are several people under 25 miles in my area (the Wing Chun/Seven Star and 8 Step being the furthest I listed). I don't have to go to Shaolin-Do to "learn something that" I couldn't learn at another school. And I did not even mention the 12 other Kung Fu schools in Dallas.
    I have a signature.

philbert-

this is a little off subject, but i would definitely advise you to go to the shaolin do school in your area. Sifu Jay Boyer should still be heading the club there. He has trained under master schaefer for quite a while now. He is a really excellent martial artist. I dont know what his thoughts are on the different philosophies of why someone would study martial arts (ie. health and longevity vs. fighting), but from what i have seen of him, he is a very good teacher and person. You should look him up!

Others-

I must say that before posting on this forum, i heard horror stories of how anti-shaolin do a lot of posters are. I dont think this is the case. I am hoping that all of you are trying to discredit our system for the right reasons. I agree that if grandmaster sin is telling false or half truths then the rest of the martial arts community, especially shaolin do students, have the right to know. Does it change the fact that he is offering a great martial art? No. Would it really change anything in the martial arts community? No. I hope that you and your students and your teachers are not losing sleep over these matters. Has anyone tried to write grandmaster sin himself and ask him these questions? I have met him. He is probably the most humble and giving person that i have ever met. I am sure (although i obviously cannot speak for him) that he would be more than happy to help out in any way that he possibly could.

How will the martial arts community react if they can disprove what he claims? What if they can't? Does that mean that everyone else is wrong? Does it really matter? I hope that everyone here puts as much time into their training as they do on these boards trying to refute these issues. If that is the case, then we are some of the most dedicated martial artists ever!

Ben

ps. It is rather upsetting that so may of you bring up the money issue. My teacher did not make me pay for my first year worth of lessons. I worked around his dojo and helped to bring in new students. He is always helping people with financial issues to work out their tuition payments so that they are best suited for them. He is truly a student of grandmaster sin and reflects his giving nature. I dont think that making money is his first priority at all!

Cho,

There have been numerous articles about Shaolin-Do in Inside Kung Fu(Story of Sin The, The Hua system, Iron Fan form,etc.), Black Belt (Drunken Imortals, I Chin Ching))so as to not being acknowledged by anyone, I think that this may be a mistake on your part.

Every few years, Master Sin and some of his students travel to China. He has always been received very well by them and is treated with the upmost respect. There is even a marker erected in the square of the temple dedicated to him. On a previous trip, they visited Chen village and gave a demonstration and also was fortunate enough to cross hands (sticky hands) with some of the practicioners there. So if the style is indeed a fraud, why are those who should be upset for the ripoff meeting him so warmly?

As to the locations of the schools, the first school was in Lexington so this is where most of the instructors were taught. Only when they decided to move for whatever reason did the style move with them. And for the record, I do believe that there are schools in San Dieago (West Coast) and in Maryland (East Coast).

As for it looking like real Chinese martial arts, what are you using as a reference other than Wu Shu because it does not look like that, thats for sure.

Ok, I am not sure who Ashida Kim is so that reference eludes me. Why don't I refute the allegations? Why should I? I have nothing to prove nor does Master Sin. I did enjoy the line from Philbert " I don't have to go to Shaolin-Do to "learn something that" I couldn't learn at another school" (sorry, I can't do the fancy quote thing). If you have never been or even met someone from Shaolin, how can you be so sure?

That should give you all something to do for a while....

Blog Entries
    First off....

Let me say that both of Illusionfist's posts have been money. It is obvious to me that he has an intimate knowledge of the history of Chinese martial arts.

You Shaolin Doers should look long and hard at his posts because you are basically getting a college lecture from a professor on the history of Chinese martial arts.

Secondly, I keep hearing the same arguments from you guys when you are confronted by things that don't add up.

1) "I don't care, Sin The is a great guy even if he's full of it."

2) "But we can never really know the truth, Chinese history is too hard to figure out."

3) "Why don't you leave us alone, why do you care? What's your motives?"

4) "Well, we don't have and answer for that, but what about this fact over here?"

You never address the facts. It's always a diversion.

Instead of doing this "diversion dance" perhaps you guys should do your own research on Chinese history, investigate some other teachers from the styles which Sin The 'claims" to teach.

Are you guys just being lazy or what?

Or are you just afraid to admit that you are ignorant of the truth?

Or worse yet that you are ignorant and you have no desire to know the truth because it might mean that you were wrong all this time?

At the end of the day you guys are learning kempo and mishmash of other stuff that no one in your organization is qualified to teach.

How could you be happy with that?

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Golden Tiger
    [B]Cho,

There have been numerous articles about Shaolin-Do in Inside Kung Fu(Story of Sin The, The Hua system, Iron Fan form,etc.), Black Belt (Drunken Imortals, I Chin Ching))so as to not being acknowledged by anyone, I think that this may be a mistake on your part.

***This means nothing. There have been countless B.S. articles in that magazine over the years.

Every few years, Master Sin and some of his students travel to China. He has always been received very well by them and is treated with the upmost respect. There is even a marker erected in the square of the temple dedicated to him.

****This has been covered countless times on this forum. The stone was purchased for around 2000 dollars by the Soards. Anyone can have one erected there.

On a previous trip, they visited Chen village and gave a demonstration and also was fortunate enough to cross hands (sticky hands) with some of the practicioners there. So if the style is indeed a fraud, why are those who should be upset for the ripoff meeting him so warmly?

***Because those places in China are not going to be hostile to outsiders when they bring money into the village or town. China is not a very wealthy country. It doesn't mean they weren't laughing there asses off when he left town.

Ok, I am not sure who Ashida Kim is so that reference eludes me. Why don't I refute the allegations? Why should I? I have nothing to prove nor does Master Sin.

***No but he does have some questions to answer.

All these arguments are "hand waving" arguments. You haven't countered anything that illusionfist or I brought in terms of history or form content.

I've been to the Mr Shaefers school in Austin. He is a great guy. Very open. I enjoyed my time there. We did a form, he did a form etc.
    I will never claim to be a historian nor an expert in mantis, however, I have seen quite a bit of 7*, 8-step, etc etc, even Southern Mantis from our brothers down in Houston; SD mantis is nothing like the mantis I have seen.
    Granted our families have an extra move, a move removed, different tempo or emphasis, but we can all tell what form the other families style is doing because of a common root; Well, I have never seen the common root in SD mantis forms.

Notice I am not hammering SD for its 5-animal goose, snake, crane, tiger or any other styles it teaches, just the one I have knowledge of. I can however summise that if the mantis has no appearant basis, the others may not either.

What is a system based upon? The history of its founders and the practitioners that have handed it down through the ages. For someone to claim teaching 7* without having something to base the system on (say a monk that was supposed to have lived in a temple that could not have because it wasn't there at the time) is nothing less than fraud, even if it does attempt to mimic the said system. Exept in this case, as I have said before, it does not mimic the system in any way that I can see (as far as 7* is concerend).

So you see, I like the practitioners; I have found them to be hard working great people. It just irks me to see what they do being called 7*Mantis.

I know I was a bit short in the earlier post. I hope this one is better recieved.

Best Wishes,
    ~BTL
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

Actually Fu, I know little if any history concerning China nor do I want to. And while I can see the facination with finding your "roots", how will that help develop speed, conditioning,etc.? Thats almost akin to if you use the internet, you need to be a Ph.D in the history of the ARPnet. One has nothing to do with the other.
    Personally, I have trouble finding the time to train, do my job, and get some sleep as it is.

Just saw your recent post. Lets see....If there are countless BS articles, of course those on Shaolin Do must also be also.

Yes, China is a poor country but I doubt very seriously that the people of Chen would be willing to host such a fraud.

The Soards did get the marker put there but I don't think that they paid the head abbot and the others to come out and honor Master Sin when it was erected.

If he has these questions to answer, why the heck don't you ask him? You guys spend your tiime on these boards coming up with these conspiracy theories when instead you could speak with him and findout from the source. He lived in Lexington for over 25 years and has been in LA since, I am sure that you could catch him at one of the gyms and flash your Martial Arts Fraud Busters badge and he would be happy to answer any and all of your questions. He is a very approachable person.

The bottom line is that rather than visiting and or joining a Shaolin Do school and seeing the complete style for what it contains, you would rather spend your time fussing it out online after seeing a clip on a webpage or reading what you can on a website.

In the end, I will still be a student/ instructor (unqualified apparently) following Master Sin and Shaolin Do and you will not. You will continue to study what ever style you happen to study and probably become very proficeint at it, as will I in SD.

As for it looking like real Chinese martial arts, what are you using as a reference other than Wu Shu because it does not look like that, thats for sure.
    Just because themeecer thinks everyone on here studies wushu and can't tell the difference between it and real kung fu, doesn't mean you have to follow his lead.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Fu-

I was wondering what makes someone a 'qualified' instructor? I have had the privilege of training with some of the best martial artists i have ever seen while studying in shaolin do. I feel they are very qualified instructors and have a deep understanding of what they do.

I am in no way trying to get a "fight" started here. I obviously dont agree with what you are saying (to an extent i do...read my last post), but i do like to know why people say the things that they do and feel the way that they do. maybe if i knew what you considered qualified and unqualified, i could shed some light on the subject and clarify things. (ie. what our teachers are supposed to be doing vs. what you feel other teachers are doing better)

Ben

ps. did anyone read my last post? just wondering. its like i have to plss people off around here to get them to read and respond to anything that i write.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by ninthdrunk
    [B]Fu-

I was wondering what makes someone a 'qualified' instructor? I have had the privilege of training with some of the best martial artists i have ever seen while studying in shaolin do. I feel they are very qualified instructors and have a deep understanding of what they do.

***What are you comparing those instructors too?

I am in no way trying to get a "fight" started here. I obviously dont agree with what you are saying (to an extent i do...read my last post), but i do like to know why people say the things that they do and feel the way that they do. maybe if i knew what you considered qualified and unqualified, i could shed some light on the subject and clarify things. (ie. what our teachers are supposed to be doing vs. what you feel other teachers are doing better)

***When you have studied one SYSTEM of martial arts for a very long time with a knowledgable teacher(s), you have intimate knowledge of that one SYSTEM, knows it applications, it's way of generating force, it's drills, conditioning, fighting strategy and history, etc.

Then I would say that you are "qualified" to teach it.

There is no way that Shaolin Do instructors have that kind of knowledge of ALL the STAND ALONE systems that they claim to teach.

You would only realize this if you had spent time in any one system for a long time.

It seems that Shaolin Do caters to the American market of short attention spans, rank advancements and ignorance about Chinese culture and history.

Fu-

I can definitely agree with that! However, you have to realize that with shaolin do its almost like saying "here, all of these forms from different styles now make up your style". I dont think that there is anything wrong with that. Each individual system has a set number of katas. In each of these katas, there is a different aspect of the system to be trained. What is so wrong with taking different katas from different systems and training them in that manner? I agree that sometimes the shaolin do curriculum just offers way too much material. I think this is because not everyone will be good at the same things. Also, in the sense that shaolin do is its own system, the forms that grandmaster sin has set at the different belt levels teache the techniques and attributes that he found to be important at that level. Grandmaster sin set the curriculum up so that any student could take advantage of the different fighting styles and techniques that are taught. Some of the students that i have trained with practice the forms simply to the point of understanding, so they will be able to teach it to others; while at the same time will put particular emphasis on training one particular style...or the few forms that we have been taught from that style until they develop a higher level of proficiency. Isnt this a good way to go about learning to defend yourself. Every student that I have worked with could tell you the philosophies behind the different forms they are doing. They know the aspect of the particular system that is being taught out through that form. No one is claiming that because we do three white crane katas before black belt that we understand the crane system...but i think most of us understand the aspects of those three katas pretty well. Then when we learn some of the higher level forms, it will give us something new and different to think about.

As far as my basis of saying that the shaolin do teachers i have been exposed to are very good teachers:
    I have trained in martial arts for the last ten years. I studied arnis, sikaran, and kyo-sho from two separate teachers while i lived in the phillipines for three years at all systems. Then i studied for another three years in shotakan and tkd (it was actually called sport karate there) in south dakota. I have done shaolin do for the last seven years. It is by far the best system that i have ever done. Which actually brings up another question: If shaolin do is such a horrible martial art with nothing to offer (as so many people are trying to lead us to believe on here), why in the world are so many of my class mates back in tx students of other martial arts that they have since quit going to?

Sincerely,

Ben
    Last edited by ninthdrunk; 10-02-2003 at 11:45 AM.

Alright, we have effectively batted down most of the conspiracy theories that have been thrown at us. From the use of sais to the gis, to the name we use. But it hasn't mattered to most of you. Even when shown pictures of antique sais used in shaolin temples, it wasn't proof enough.

What do I care if a bunch of underlings like you don't think our art looks like what you think is 'traditional kung fu?' We have had old masters in China tell us that what we are doing is authentic; that it resembled what they were taught when they were young. They were amazed that westerners had this art. They have many more years experience than most if not all of us, I am going to rely on their wisdom and not your opinions.

I am going to repost a quote from Okami in an earlier thread on SD.
    First of all I want to say that I have no side on any issues about Shaolin do. I have my own opinions about SD, but my research is a firm attempt to remain objective and seek the truth.

The dates of the SD grandmasters fit into historical accounts of events during the times that they lived. This does not mean that they existed, just that their existence was possible.

Guang Xu (Manchu) was emperor of China from about 1890 until the Boxer Rebellion. Some historians claim that the Fukien temple was destroyed completely just before the Boxer Rebellion. This would place Su Kong (the hairy one) at the right time and the right age to have been at the temple and to have escaped into the mountains. The best report I can find is that about 30 or so inhabitants of the temple excaped, most are unnamed.

The next grandmaster who killed 11 soldiers also fits into history. Around 1928 when he was supposed to have been awarded this title, China was not under a unified rule. The camp of a warlord that he wandered into could have existed. Also, it is reported by historians that many practitioners of kung fu traveled south to maintain their safety. The move to Indonesia fits into this.

Sin The is a real person. He attended the University of KY with the father of a friend of mine. He is Chinese (my friend's father is Chinese). My friend's father knew Sin and I asked him some questions about him. He said that Sin was a good engineering student and lived on the same floor of the dorm with him.

So much for objective, now for my opinion.
    I think SD looks so much like Karate because they have the same roots. And the roots aren't that deep. Karate practitioners who make up the lineage of the four main Okinawan styles (Shotokan, Shinto-Ryu, Wado-Ryu, and Gojo-Ryu) traveled to the area of China where the Fukien Temple was located. Regardless of the grandmaster's lineage being legit, SD most likely came from southeastern China as did the roots of Karate. Tode Sakagawa who by most accounts is the first major practitioner of Karate in Okinawa, lived around the time that the Fukien Temple was supposed to have been destroyed. It is possible that he learned martial arts from the same people as Sin's martial ancestors learned from. Of course the martial arts of both lines evolved independently due to the envoronment, politics, and the individual practitioner's physical capabilities and motivations. But they are not seperated by much time, so the styles still share much similiar material.

From what I have seen of SD I believe it to be an effective combat martial art. Just as effective as Shotokan, Jujutsu, or Wing Chun. Of course it has its weaknesses, but all styles lack somewhere if we are persistent enough to look for them. If someone is training to be combat effective I think SD is a good system to utilize in a cross-training program. I have found through my own experience that the instructors are willing to help in this cross-training endeavor. When I went to the Shaolin-Ryu club at UK while I was in college, they let me keep my rank from my own style and allowed me to train with students at all levels. I had a good time with these guys. Their class sessions were physical and I got some good exercise from both kata and sparring. I learned some things fighting with them, and I like to think I taught them something too.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

Fu-

"There is no way that Shaolin Do instructors have that kind of knowledge of ALL the STAND ALONE systems that they claim to teach. "

I would would have to disagree with you there Fu. How many SD instructors have you trained with to be able to make that sort of broad statement? Since you seem to always have proof to back up your facts, I am sure that you can name the instructors that you have personally asked to teach you the applied learnings (you have studied one SYSTEM of martial arts for a very long time with a knowledgable teacher(s), you have intimate knowledge of that one SYSTEM, knows it applications, it's way of generating force, it's drills, conditioning, fighting strategy and history, etc.). Given your requirements for qualification as a teacher, I think that I just might sqeak by (with the exception of the history but I all ready covered that).

Since we have extablished that I qualify (25 years in the same system, studied under 1 Grand Master, 3 Senior Masters and taught my own classes for 15 years, have a very good grasp of the mechanics, etc. involved in generating force and power) I would like to invite you, if ever in the area, to stop by and see what you so desparately wish to dislike. You might actually be suprised what you might learn. This is in no way a challenge or any of that melodramatic BS, just a friendly gesture to perhaps show you that SD might not be so bad. Heck, If you would like, I could ask Master Sin to try to be in town at the same time and you could ask him the history questions also.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by ninthdrunk
    [B]Fu-

I can definitely agree with that! However, you have to realize that with shaolin do its almost like saying "here, all of these forms from different styles now make up your style". I dont think that there is anything wrong with that.

*****There is everything wrong with that. Each system is Stand Alone. In other words it is a complete fighting system unto itself.

Each individual system has a set number of katas. In each of these katas, there is a different aspect of the system to be trained. What is so wrong with taking different katas from different systems and training them in that manner?

***Everything. Because the first way you describe each "kata" builds from and reinforces previous forms and concepts. In the Shaolin Do way, you are pulled in 10 different directions. Now, Sin The may have made the katas "appear" to fit together but that is because NONE of them are being done correctly. They are all being done the Shaolin Do way.

Also, in the sense that shaolin do is its own system, the forms that grandmaster sin has set at the different belt levels teache the techniques and attributes that he found to be important at that level.

***That is f-ed up. Chen Taiji is not "higher level" than say a Tiger style." It's simply another system that can bring you to a high level. But the fighting principles of Taiji and Tiger style are very different from the get go. They do not reinforce each other.

Grandmaster sin set the curriculum up so that any student could take advantage of the different fighting styles and techniques that are taught. Some of the students that i have trained with practice the forms simply to the point of understanding, so they will be able to teach it to others;

***So once you have a cursory knowledge of the form you are "qualified" to teach it. I don't think so. If I took a begginers oil painting class would I then be qualified to teach it?

while at the same time will put particular emphasis on training one particular style...or the few forms that we have been taught from that style until they develop a higher level of proficiency. Isnt this a good way to go about learning to defend yourself.

***No, because it creates a ton of confusion. One presented with a real life situation your body is not gonna know how to move.

Every student that I have worked with could tell you the philosophies behind the different forms they are doing. They know the aspect of the particular system that is being taught out through that form.

***They might superficially understand it but can they consisently apply and demonstrate it. For example in Taiji the theory is to "move 1000 pounds with 4 ounces of strength." But it is a lot harder to manifest this as a physical reality.

No one is claiming that because we do three white crane katas before black belt that we understand the crane system

***You just did. You said after you learn it your qualified to teach it.

...but i think most of us understand the aspects of those three katas pretty well. Then when we learn some of the higher level forms, it will give us something new and different to think about.

***Something new to think about which is from an entirely different system.

As far as my basis of saying that the shaolin do teachers i have been exposed to are very good teachers:
    I have trained in martial arts for the last ten years. I studied arnis, sikaran, and kyo-sho from two separate teachers while i lived in the phillipines for three years at all systems. Then i studied for another three years in shotakan and tkd (it was actually called sport karate there) in south dakota.

***And none of it was Chinese Kung fu.

I have done shaolin do for the last seven years. It is by far the best system that i have ever done. Which actually brings up another question: If shaolin do is such a horrible martial art with nothing to offer (as so many people are trying to lead us to believe on here), why in the world are so many of my class mates back in tx students of other martial arts that they have since quit going to?

***Because it caters to people with Short attention spans.

Sincerely,

Ben

Boy, I wish I knew how to do that "quote " thing. It would be a lot easier to set Fu straight.

*****There is everything wrong with that. Each system is Stand Alone. In other words it is a complete fighting system unto itself.

So in other words, there is no benifit to learning more than one style? Wonder why you have to take many different classes in college to get a particular degree? Could it be that it makes you more educated?

***Everything. Because the first way you describe each "kata" builds from and reinforces previous forms and concepts. In the Shaolin Do way, you are pulled in 10 different directions. Now, Sin The may have made the katas "appear" to fit together but that is because NONE of them are being done correctly. They are all being done the Shaolin Do way.

Again your background eludes me. From who and for how long did you study SD in order to make this statement?

***That is f-ed up. Chen Taiji is not "higher level" than say a Tiger style." It's simply another system that can bring you to a high level. But the fighting principles of Taiji and Tiger style are very different from the get go. They do not reinforce each other.

Perhaps not higher than a upper level Tiger form but certianly higher than say Tiger 1 or 2 in the sysstem. I think that you missed the point that he was trying to make. 83 postures is pretty advanced.

I could go on and on but I have to get back to work. This is fun!