Thread: Yaw-Yan Kickboxing

Yaw-Yan Kickboxing

I have never seen it but I have spoken to people who have and it sounds interesting so I thought to share this link.

From what I understand Yaw-Yan is a Philippine full contact kickboxing martial art very similar to Muay Thai. Started in 1972 by Grandmaster Napoleon Fernandez. As can be expected it also incorporates methods from the native bladed and mano arts and its also teaches stick/bolo in a sub-system called Yaw-Yan arnis as well as buno ground fighting methods.

Here is the link-

http://users.netropolis.net/yawyan/

Cheers
    Regards

Black Jack,

I've noticed you use the term 'buno' to describe grappling. Is that an alternative term to 'dumog' or does it describe something different? Specifically groundfighting?

Or are both just terms for grappling in general?

Cheers.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

I have an article about this style in one of my magazines. It looks good and there are some real good practicioners.

Buno just means all around grappling. Same as dumog. I tend to like it instead of just dumog as dumog tends to conjure up just images of PFS style stand-up techs. Where buno to me just represents any grappling methods. Its all the same though and I use both terms depending on which one pops into my head at the time.

You know how the south-east asian arts are. Its the only place where one term can represent a select style of fighting but to the next region or teacher it can be the name of a whole system. Then throw in people that use the more popular pre-spanish names compared to spanish influenced names and things start to sound even more removed.

I mean you could call it didya, pananadata, or kaliradam but its still kali which became arnis de mano, escrima, larsen garotte or estokada or fraile or whatever other name a person can dig up once the spanish settled in and introduced there methods.

Either way its all good da hood.
    Regards

Black Jack,

I hear ya. Thanks.

You know how the south-east asian arts are. Its the only place where one term can represent a select style of fighting but to the next region or teacher it can be the name of a whole system.
    Largo mano jumps to mind. Serrada too, come to think of it.

Stuart B.

These guys are keen on fma kickboxing:

www.bagyo.net

Guro Carlito Bonjoc, Jr.

strike!

Sorry BJ, I'm not buying into this one just yet. I'll have to see it to detect if it really is different or just a mix of MT and karate.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Originally posted by rogue
    Sorry BJ, I'm not buying into this one just yet. I'll have to see it to detect if it really is different or just a mix of MT and karate.
    I've read the yaw yan site before, and that's the general impression I've got. Of course, if it works and he's not trying to convince me of a completely fraudulent history, I haven't got a real problem with that.

(And honestly, I don't remember whether the history sounded legit or no. Clearly, I'm too lazy to go back and read it again.)