Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does boxing promote asymmetry?

Question Does boxing promote asymmetry?

Left jab, right cross, left hook, right (or left) uppercut. Those are the orthodox techniques, but obviously they're not symmetrical. Does it promote asymmetry?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

I'm sorry this post isn't any help, but what do you mean?

Later...

Of course it does. But there's a reason behind it...

The general feeling in boxing is you will have one strong side and one weak side. The weak side is what you use for speed, keeping your opponent off-balance, and setting up your power-shots (with either hand).

It works because it's simple, and because the "weak" side, still has power-- there's just a different primary goal behind it.
    "Oh LORD, please spare our eyes"- Traditional Prayer before an English Singlestick Match

Surely you would do the same thing on both sides?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

hk mantis is the same way. the theory is we got one strong side. we use the weaker side to set up for the stronger side then we start pounding on them till they run away screaming ahaha

Boxing does not stress "power side" forward or back.
    It depends on the boxer himself, his natural ability and savvy.
    There are many who do "power side", generally they are not the elite.
    Most of the best boxers can go with either hand in any situation.

There are many boxers, who by the time the reach pro level can
    switch from orthodox to south paw (lead) and generate KO power with either hand.
    These are the guys that really develop a good toolbox along with
    their natural ability.

Symetrical angling may come instictively to boxers, but I doubt that the theory end of it is espoused.

It's more like when they break down tape: "He's weak when he throws the straight left, throw the short right to the liver/body etc."

They train counters, but for the most part do not analyze or preconcieve angles to base their training on.

Of course boxing promotes asymmetry -- If you train it that way

It also promotes symmetry -- If you train it that way
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Water Dragon has taken the correct, raped it with a wet chihuahua, and peed on it.

Drive safe, all.

BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

What's the problem with asymmetry?
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

It gives you a weakness for an opponent to exploit.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer

Does it? I'm not sure I buy that. Seems only natural that you'll have a strong side and a weak one (almost no-one is equally strong and skilled right and left) and if you work too hard on bringing your weak side to strength with your strong side, I bet it's as much the strong side getting weaker as the weak side getting stronger.
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

CSN - Respectfully, I'll disagree.

When I'm fighting/sparring someone, one of the things I look out for is a preference for one side. If they always favour a lead right, for example, then I'll constantly work round to their outside and exploit their preference.

I don't neglect my favoured side training, but I do make a point of training the other side a lot to bring it up to speed. While I'm still a bit in favour of leading with my right, I'm almost just as comfortable leading with my left.

But-but-but--what if you're fighting an alien with trilateral symmetry?

Okay, scratch that.
    Crippled Avenger

Why would I fight anyone with tri-lateral symmetry!? That guy would be way too cool to fight!

(But would I have to buy him three beers!?)

I try to train an equal amount with both sides. the way I see it building on your strengths is all very well, but if you are in a fight and can't use your right arm for whatever reason, you better hope your left is strong enough to take them down

(having said that, anyone who can win a streetfight only using their off hand is probably on their way to the tekken 5 tournament right now)
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."