Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Does boxing promote asymmetry?

Originally posted by omarthefish

The idea that one side is 'stronger' and one weaker is a myth as is the idea someone (WaterDragon?) mentioned that one side of the brain tends to be used more. The sides are just used differently. I was a waiter for 10 years and never once met a righty who could carry a tray steadily on his right hand. We all carry trays with out left and serve of of them with our right. It seems like mky right is more nimble but my left more steady.
    Yay! I get to prove someone wrong today. We do use oneside of our brain more that the other. I am currently reading "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" <-- Excellant book, which states that the left side of the brain is responsible for the analytical process while the right side is associated with imagination and creativity. As a society (Western), we use our left side much more often than the right.

What I'm not sure, but I think is true, is that the left side of the brain controls the right hand while the right side controls the left hand.

*pats self on the back for being intelligent today
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

WD has the correct by the scruff of its neck and is spanking its ass.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Research Quarterly for Exercise & Sport

Here's part of an abstract for an article written by Susan L. Puretz, State University of New York found in Research Quarterly for Exercise & Sport, Vol 54(1), Mar 1983. pp. 48-54.

Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The customary teaching methodology for dance classes is for the teacher to demonstrate the simple or complex motor pattern on the right side and for the students to practice and perform it on the right side. Then, without practice, the students perform the movement on the left side. ... Results suggest that dance teachers have been correct in expecting students to bilaterally transfer complex movements that they have learned.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She continues by recommending that

Quote:

teachers should teach to the nonpreferred side (i.e., the left side) to maximize learning through bilateral transfer.

The fact that it is not *necessary* implies that if one is trying to master a great deal of material that it may be more efficient to practice on one side and wait for transfer to occur.
    David Dow
    Bujinkan Anko Dojo
    www.taijutsu.com
    "Why try to KO the guy when you can stab him and watch him bleed to death." Toshiro Nagato

Originally posted by CrippledAvenger
    Man, I spent all that time writting a longass response, and Omar beat me to it. Well said, well said.

ps. I still say Dempsey is pound-for-pound better than Tunney.
    Acgtually.... I think your right. Dempsey IS ..er WAS better. I just thought that particular fight was brilliant and liked how Tunney solved the puzzel that was Dempsey.

Water Dragon,

YOU OTOH, are still wrong.

Yeah, I read "7 habits..." too. That left/right brain thingy goes back to the 60's when. I think, a lot of that sort of research was first done. "Drawing From the Right Side of The Brain" was my into. REgardless, that just says that YOU think we are all pencil pushing nerds here in "The West". Us touchy feely artist types would be using the 'non-dominant' side quite a bit more. I recently saw an article about how people who speak Chinese, because it is a tonal language, acess both hemispheres more.

So if the argument says that we are westerners and therefore more analytical and THERFORE use the left heisphere more . . .

SPEAK FOR YOURSELF!!!

p.s.

Yes, the left brain controlls the right hand and vice-versa. But, the crossover happens right about where the spine leaves the scull which means that if you are right handed you are left eyed. Apparently we have 'eyedness' too. We generally sight things straight ahead with one eye and then the other one triangulates in. (Collag anatomy. One's you've flayed a man, you'll never go back!)

Dammit Omar. You're not supposed to prove me wrong in public. Now I'm going to have to delete this thread and have you banned with my uber-moderatoer powers.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Its ok. Just try some of my pimp juice™ and youll be just fine.
    Man... That gas is back again... Wheres a hose leading to serpents house when you need it?
    "In choosing your dwelling, know how to keep to the ground.
    In cultivating your mind, know how to dive in the hidden depths.
    In dealing with others, know how to be gentle and kind.
    In speaking, know how to keep your words.
    In governing, know how to maintain order.
    In transacting business, know how to be efficient.
    In making a move, know how to choose the right moment.
    If you do not strive with others, you will be free from blame."
    -Lao Tzu, Tao Teh Ching
    An eye for an eye leaves the world blind.