Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "borrowed" concepts

"borrowed" concepts

just wondering what, if any, attacks you have seen in say a video game or movie that you have utilised yourself. I ask because I have learnt a couple of nice little combos from tekken and laws double dragon kick (anyone who has played it will know what I mean) that I occasionaly throw in. gets a few raised eyebrows, but thats usually because it slips their guard and is something they haven't seen often. our instructor encourages it to a degree (obviously trying certain things is dangerous) because the more varied your attacks the more it keeps the opponent guessing.

so yeah. can anyone here do Hwoarangs bird hunter kick

oh and if anyone does know any good moves/combinations feel free to share
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

well, this i know.

video game martial arts are produced using a filming technique called motion capture or "mo-cap".

the people who do the acting in the mo-cap are actual martial artists.

there is a caveat to this though.

some of the digitization alters the moves to the level of "outrageous" lol, to be sure.

people don't "fly" for instance, we jump.

in the end, you are better off learning from real human examples. but not to take away from video game fun There are people after all who have 0 access to good martial arts instruction so good fro them in getting it where they can.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I've based my entire fighting technique on a combo from the videogame "tetris."
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Pong fu
    the oldest know game style

I learned all my moves from Lara Croft

I learned my Xinyi Liuhe from Gen Fu, the old dude of Dead Alive 2.
    "I'm into murders and executions, mostly"

BTW, california Wushu guy Philip Wong (cover of KF Mag Oct '00) did all the mo-cap for Lei Wulong.

Hell, I use all of Ein and Jann Lee's combos from DoA.
    -------------------------------------------
    "It is a good thing to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this."
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo, from Hagakure

yeah from what I know a lot of the tekken characters are based on real people (Eddy, Lei, Ganryu, Law,- those are just the ones I know for sure)

Didn't realise they used mo cap for them though. except for the first MK games where they just videotaped the moves and put them in a game o_O

And I live in a town of 30 000- not a lot of martial artists here, let alone good ones. our sifu does teach us a variety of combos but he is a bit more flexible than me so they don't always work
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

The best game to base your martial arts move is "Virtua Fighter" series, IMO.
    Engrish does not mine strong point.

nerds, all of you.

Truth be told, I find videogame martial techniques extremely modernized and watered down. I've recently begun studying in the ancient mode with methods unadulturated by wimpy modern concessions to our short-attention span, MTV-ized society.

You will tremble before my cribbage-chuan, whist fist, and pinochle pole.
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    pinochle pole.
    That sounds incredibly dirty, but it's no comparison to my Husker Du Halberd form.

Chen, your a funny little norweigen.

I think you all should base your fighting styles on the grandmaster of video games. "Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg" yessir, you'll learn a thing or two about fighting rolling around a huge ass egg...i guess.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

I wont tolerate being called a norwegian.
    that provoces me very much..

I've never played Husker Du the game, but I'm a long-time devotee of Husker Du the punk band from Minneapolis.

Allow me to quote some lyrics:

"New day RI-sing...
    New day RI-sing...
    New day rising...
    New day ri...SAAAAAAY-YAAAAAAAAAANG!

New day rising!
    New day rising!
    New day rising!
    New day rising!
    New day rising!
    New day ri...SAAAAAAY-YAAAAAAAAAANG!"

I bet you can't guess the name of that song. Three tries, and the first two don't count.
    Crippled Avenger